Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Murray is pretty funny because I actually restored the tractor from poor condition to good condition. The Murray was given to me with rust every including in the engine. Aftor cleaning it out and replacing parts for the engine, I got it started. I had to replace a drive pully and belt, and then I was in buisness. Then I clean out the rust on the outside of the mower, then painted it. The tires were off there rim, so I got them back on. The only problem I have is that the gas tank is held up in the air by two feet going verticly from the tank attaching to the frame. But because gas over time had eaten it away, it broke. I do not have a welding kit, nor any welding knoledge. Is there a way to fix this?

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by Terminator20
The only problem I have is that the gas tank is held up in the air by two feet going verticly from the tank attaching to the frame. But because gas over time had eaten it away, it broke. I do not have a welding kit, nor any welding knoledge. Is there a way to fix this?

OK let me see if I have this......:confused: .........

The fuel tank is attached to the frame by to legs? [Not two feet LONG right?:D ] Now these legs attach to the tank, and the frame? Now what is rusted? The tank, the mounts[legs, feet, whatever] or the frame? How are they held together now? Bolted, welded, one peice casting?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The legs are bolted to the frame. But the break happening at the bottom of the foot just before the bolts. So the break is about 1/2 inch away from the bolts, mabie a whole 1 inch.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
OK I think I get it. May be hard to fix without welding, but is there room to drill a new hole, and rebolt it in an unbroken place? Maybe bolt a peace of steel to it, and then bolt THAT to the frame in a diferent place? Hard to give you any real ideas without seeing what it looks like. Any small shops around have a welder? May be able to get someone to zap it together for a few bucks.THAT would probably be your best bet.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I would try to afix a small piece of steel until you can find someone to weld the feet back into the right position. Just be sure to have someone who know what their doing welding it when the time comes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts