Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound stupid to some of you, but since I really don't know, I have to ask. There are shields all the way around my Onan engine. Do these serve a purpose...well I guess they must or they would not be there...so what is the purpose? It just seems they would hold more heat around the engine and make it run hotter. Any reason not to take them off? Thanks.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Your flywheel has fins these fins are like a fan they move air over the motor to cool it. The shields help direct the air to where it needs to go. So don't take them off or it will run hot.
Jody

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I also want to add you can take them off to clean the fins of the motor if you need to but be sure to put them back on.
Jody

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I clean out the cooling fins on my John Deere F525 Kawasaki PA540 with compressed air each time I use it. Cooling and air circulation is critical to longevity with these engines. Only takes a few minutes each time and is time well spent. A replacement engine for my F525 is over $1,500 so best to look after them. I don't remove the air cooling jacket shields. I figure there is a good chance of breaking a seized bolt off or causing them to come loose later by removing them. I run my F525 about 125 - 150 hours a year and it seems to be doing well like this. I just blow compressed air until it all comes out clean. I change my oil and filter every 25 hours too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot...that makes sense. It is nice to be able to ask about anything here and get fast and helpful replies. It is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I also use compressed air and blow out the fins after each use. I stripped of a screw once removing the shroud for cleaning on an old push mower. Plus it is faster than digging out the crud with a screw driver when you've waited too long.

Mark

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by ropari
This may sound stupid to some of you, but since I really don't know, I have to ask. There are shields all the way around my Onan engine. Do these serve a purpose...well I guess they must or they would not be there...so what is the purpose? It just seems they would hold more heat around the engine and make it run hotter. Any reason not to take them off? Thanks.
I removed them when I replaced the hydraulic pump on my 446. Didn't figure there was a need to reinstall them. What a big mistake. When the temps heated up and I was out using the tiller, it was all I could do to sit on the tractor for any length of time. So not only do the shields push air over the engine, they also direct it away from the operator.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Re: Re: I have to ask...

Originally posted by Argee
I removed them when I replaced the hydraulic pump on my 446. Didn't figure there was a need to reinstall them. What a big mistake. When the temps heated up and I was out using the tiller, it was all I could do to sit on the tractor for any length of time. So not only do the shields push air over the engine, they also direct it away from the operator.
Good point Argee, and these tractors can put out some REAL heat when you work the hydro hard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts