Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a metals working forum a dude is making a kit to convert vertical shaft small engines into horizontal shaft engines.......I have to admit, he is into experimenting and experimenting sure is good for the mind. He has had to remount the carb, fuel tank, and split the case and revamp the slinger for splash lube, rework oil level fill etc, but the thing that got my attention the most was his test stand and seeing images of the engine running on it. Test stand was simple OSB sheathing.......but he had the darn lawn mower blade still attached, and no guards etc, just setting there running wide a$$ed open.......and if that was not bad enough, he stated in his writeup he did not feel safe with a blade like that rotating around with him doing adjustments etc, he bolted what looked like a piece of 1 x 6 board to it and wrapped it up with duct tape.....Imagine if that board decided to come apart, you would be picking splinters out of your butt and surounding area for a long time.......At the present his biggest problem was in moounting the carb its away from engine heat, and in cold weather the carb ices up. But he is diligently working out the kinks.

His anticipated goal is to make a kit and sell em on Ebay along with a set of plans for a mini bike or go kart, as there is always a lot of old vertical shaft motors laying around from el cheapo lawn mowers etc as compared to horizontal shaft motors....Kits gonna have to be awfully darn cheap to warrant converting a V to an H motor as you can buy a comparable Horizontal pretty darn cheap thats new in the box.

·
Premium Member
4,165 Posts
Sounds a little like a guy I read about that built a sophisicated machine to make counterfit nickles that cost 7 cents each to make. Smart, but yet not smart, if you know what I mean.:confused:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts