Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have not posted as much the last couple of weeks. Working on an archway in my old house. I manufactured crown moldings from all my own lumber. There is a certain satisfaction using wood that
is made from trees you cut yourself.
The arch was there when I bought this house, but never finished properly. Previous owner had dropped ceilings everywhere, some places had been dropped twice. What a mess to demo everything out. Whoever installed the support header did not level it, there was a three inch difference that I had to hide. Overal The job is coming along nicely, at present I am finishing the window dressing on the uprights. The crown base is made from Larch(Tamerack) and the denteel feature is cherry.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is more

This is a picture of a crown feature I did over a door.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This House

This house will be 200 in 2008. All the ceilings are wood. Some I have stripped and refinished, others I have painted just until I get caught up with most of the other work I have to do. Let me show you another shot of the crown on the archway.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
looks awesmoe slip... good to see there is good old self sufficient folks out there.. im sure it would have probably been cheaper to buy the molding but its great to be able to say.. yup.. thats mine.. i did it, i created it.. i put it up..

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John

Cost wise I think it is cheaper to build it. The time I spent does not count because I am working for myself. They want $10.80 a foot for 6 1/6 inch oak crown and I did not like it as much as the 8 inch I made from trees I was paid to remove. My simple saw mill was one of the best $4,000 I have spent. It is not n automated WoodMizer, all manual ,but it sure cuts nice square lumber. I can cut quite a few hundred feet a day by myself. Combined with the 20 inch planer I bought, I produce lumber nicer then what I can buy at any chain store. Besides I am spoiled by the long lengths I can cut. Even if you could buy 30 foot boards, how much would they cost?

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At This Time

I must rise up off this stump and get back to work. There is quite a mess to move around. Been a long time since I moved the butcher's block I have and I forgot just how heavy that sucker really is.

Attachments

·
674 Posts
Nice work slipshod, I Know what you are going through. My house was built in 1861 and I completly gutted the back half of it.

Do you have a pic of the house from the outside? would like to see the style of it.

Find any thing interesting when working on your house? I found old letters from the 1880's. One of them was from a steam tractor company and had a cool pic of a steam tractor on the letterhead.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Nice looking work!!! There are fewer and fewer folks that can do things like that anymore! More pictures when you get time!:D

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Looks good slip when can you come over i have some crown molding i need up.:D
Jody

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
progress

I am too tired to take any pictures tonight. The Job is almost done. I cut and fit all the verticle pieces today and trimmed out the rest of the job. It does look like it belongs in this old house.
My drywall patches are all up, just need to do some mud and tape. Not much maybe a gallons worth. Just a few small detail pieces to hang, stuff I thought of as I went along.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Looks AWSOME!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: What can I say other than GREAT JOB

My wife and I restored our last house we lived in, so I know the work that is invalved. And that one was only 100. We hemmed, and hawed wether to buy another old house to restore, or build new, and as it turns out we made the wrong choise, and bought new. Keep up the good work, and I would also like to second the request for an outsside shot.

·
Registered
977 Posts
looks great slip keep up the great work. i guess we live in a new house it was built in 1946. been working on it slowly but its hard to remodel when your living in it

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Leo

Name a woodworking tool and I have at least one. I started this one at the beginning, the trees were standing.
  • John Deere 4600 tractor with 4 way bucket: to move the trees to the saw
  • Stihl .029 farmboss chain saw: to drop the trees
  • Sinplicity 32' bandsaw mill: to cut the boards
  • Woodridge 20" planer: to smooth and size the lumber
  • 12" powermatic cabinet makers table saw/with Vega fence: to staighten and rip saw
  • 12" Dewalt Radial Arm Saw: to cross cut and plough the rabbit for the denteel
  • Dewalt 1/2" plunge router: to add 1" cove feature to the crown
  • Variable pitch dado: to create rabitt and make indents in the denteel strip
  • Craftsman sanding station: for cleanup of saw marks
  • several hand held sanders,electric/air: for a smooth finish
  • Dewalt 24 volt cordless circular saw: to cut stock to length in the house
  • Dewalt Cordless 18 volt sawsall: to remove some old wood that was in my way
  • Dewalt 18 volt cordless drill driver: to screw down some of the pieces and replacement drywall
  • Jet air operated Wire nailer: did most of the fastening
  • 6.5 H.P. Force air compresser : to run the air tools (150Ft air hose) to run into the house
  • Dewalt 18 volt cordless sabre saw: to trim in the house (nicest sabre saw I have ever owned) with or without a cord
  • and many more hand tools: just judging by the amount of clean-up I did yesterday
But No I did not use my shaper on this project or my bandsaw!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
That's impressive work without the use of a shaper.

I did ours using my shaper and my router table. Did a nice job. I just got my framing nailer for my shed project this weekend. Went with the Porter Cable (got it from their rep for less than $50, re-manufactured) Works as good as new.

Even came with a warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Forgot

I did not list My Paslode framer. Used it quite a bit on this one.
I have several air nailers of all types If fact my wife is right, I have more tools then anyone she knows.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Re: Forgot

Originally posted by slipshod
I did not list My Paslode framer. Used it quite a bit on this one.
I have several air nailers of all types If fact my wife is right, I have more tools t hen anyone she knows.
Slip, you don't know me yet but I think you should change your handle to TIM as in Tim the the Toolman 2funny

1 - 20 of 40 Posts