Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been brought up from time to time... but i always like to get a reminder of who it is we are chatting with, where they are from, their yard size, tractor ect...

Simple John

location: Live in southerneast maine - 15 minutes from old orchard beach.

Land: just shy of 5 acres on a recently built development only about 1-1.25 acres of grass.

Tractor of choice: Simplicity Prestige 1 year old

More Info:
Single, no Kids, live w/girlfriend, and a 9 year old boxer.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Who Me

Jody Hymel (that sounds like E mel not Hi mel):smiles:

Land: just shy of 2 acres

Tractor of choice: Cub Cadet 1525

More Info:
Married, no Kids, Cat named Warlock and a dog named Maggie of coarse these are my kids.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Who am I

Name: Thom Serena
Home: Derby New York
Heres where it gets tricky: I have 11 acres where I live,and
2 farms,one 3 miles from my home and one 40 miles away.
Tractor of choice: I work with and collect machinery,I like them all and will buy any brand as long as the deal is right.Once I own a tractor it has to work for a living.No pretty boys in my fleet.Some I have at the present moment. John Deere 4600 4x4 (2000) with all the bells and whistles;back hoe,box scraper,Belco tiller,york rake,Pulverizer,This tractor has a 460 loader with 4 way bucket.12 speed tranny full syncro and shuttle shift.I have a Farmall Cub (1960) c-3 mower deck,cultivators, and it wears a Twin Draulics loader.Looking for my second Cub.Farmall Super C with a loader and quick hitch.Farmall A (project for the winter).Ford 5000 deisel wide front,strong machine, plows disc,727 loader.Simplicity 637 with deck ,snowblower,and tiller.I have more tractors and Equipment that runs on internal combustion ,but that is for another post.
Things I do: Run a small site prep business,gentleman farm, horses,sawmill,cabinet shop,grandchildren,hunt,make money and spend it.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Who I Am

Name: Randy Goddard (Argee)

Land: 20 Acres

Tractor of Choice: Ford/New Holland 1715
Craftsman GT5000

More info: Married 34 years, 2 kids (grown and gone), 2 dogs - Golden Retriever named Charlie; Black Labrador named Alice, raise pigs and cattle for food and fun.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Oh BTW..

I live in Niverville, NY. It is a small village, and part of the town of Kinderhook. [home of Martin Van Buran, Martin H Glenn, and the term OK,for old kinderhook]

As for tractors, I got a lot. Two Ingersolls, and they are the work hourses. An old 8N, and two old Gravelys.[one a 1944 L, and the other an early 60's LI]

I have 4.3 acres of land, about 50/50 feild, and woods. Just built a house[a REAL nightmare, story for anouther time] and spend most of my time with my 16mo daughter Danielle.

And other ferr time, I spend fixing stuff. All my tractors, a 70 Mustang that is fully torn down, and a 72 LTD convertible. Also I enjoy trains[big, and small] and building wooden boats.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Name: Andy "BIG CHEESE" Nacho

Land: 10 acres (bushhog about 5 acres, finish cut about 3 acres and rest is wooded - live end of dead end road outside city limits)

Tractor(s) of choice : 1950 Ford 8N (1948 engine) with all 3-pt attachments and 1996 Craftsman 19HP and 2003 GT5000.

Other Info:
2 children - (7 year old daughter and 1 year old son)
5 horses (Dutch Warmblood, Paint, Quarters, Shetland Pony)
5 Dogs (3 German Shepards and 2 Hotdogs)
75 gallon fish tank + fishes (tropical - different species = fishes)
Pole barn workshop - waiting to build new workshop 2004

Sr Network Engineer - High speed networks (broadband cable HFC systems) Cisco CCNP, CCDA, CCCS, MCP+I, MCNE - Primarily responsible for overall stability and design integrity for whole area and train engineers/techs for work etc. & part-time carpenter and full-time DADDY. :-D

Well, thats it folks.

Andy
:alien:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
who am I?

name: Dave Chown

land: Here's where it gets confusing, at home we have 65 acres, mostly cleared for pastures, buildings. Second farm, 200 acres more or less, about 85 cleared for pasture, hayfields, rest is woodlot. And a 300 acre woodlot 20 mins the other way, plus we lease about 40 acres from an aunt 3 miles from home for hay.

Tractors of choice: IH, man. Nothin but, we use a 1999 C60 (50 HP), 1990 495 (42 HP) with front loader, 1983 384 (38 HP) with front loader, and a 197? 444 (38 HP) for our farm work, and we have 10 antique IH tractors, 3 of them are restored and are working on 2 more right now (sort of, haven't touched em since may or june).

personal stuff: married 13 years to a great lady, have 4 kids, 2 girls, 10 and 7, and 2 boys,3. One cat 13 YO and weighs about 15 lbs, don't tick him off!
don't have a lot of time for hobbies other than skulking around tractor forums til all hours of the night.
I am working at finishing the house my father-in-law helped me build over the summer of 99, we moved in that fall so there's lots of obstacles, not the least of which are kids who are suposed to be asleep!

occupation: We have a purebred beef farm raising Angus cattle mainly for breeding stock, and we have been salvaging tractors for about 8-10 years, about 50+ per year. When we can't sleep and have nothing to do we cut wood on our property, had been about 300 cords/year until the last couple, but less now as the tractor business keeps us out of the woods a lot.

argee, what kind of cattle do you raise?

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by parts man
argee, what kind of cattle do you raise?
We don't raise beef every year, when we do, we finish them. The breeds are usually Angus or Hereford.

I'm contemplating starting a herd of Dexters for fun and food. Inasmuch as they lend themselves well to small acreages, they're an ideal choice for our 20 acres. I'm still noy convinced I want to be tied down with animals year round. The dogs are bad enough, having to find someone to care for them when we go away.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Argee, I agree on the animal thing, it's kind of like having kids to look after, only you can't take them in the car.:D :cowboy: :cowboy:

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Tobin Isenberg (nickname at work: Toba)
Manassas, VA (about 25 miles south-west'ish of Washington D.C. )
1.1 acre lot, just short of half of the lot is tree's.

8 year old daughter
3 year old son
4 year old foster-daughter
2 cats
1 dog

JD L130
Gave my 8 year old Murray Sentinal with plow to a friend at work.

I run the Support and MIS staff of a software company. I also help with Pre and Post sales, Development, QA, Office Management, part-time lawyer, handyman, etc. I refuse to clean windows.

I do some work before leaving in the morning sometimes, work all day (with some postings throughout the day in the middle of tasks), and then work some more at night after the kids go to bed. My wife says I am addicted to my job... I am. Generally, I really bust my a$$ for this company and enjoy nearly every second of it.

Side stuff I like to do is play around with electronics (buying and using, not building), power tools, cars, building things, taking things apart. Other side novelties are HDTV, old beer can collection, coins and of course... computers.

·
Registered
977 Posts
name:scott
we farm 1760 acres of our own and rent some. run a small repair business out of the farmshop trying to stick to fixing the older stuff.usually have around 100 old tractors at any time sometimes more but not to often less(they must be like the kids rabbits)as well as several parts tractor.also have a weak spot for stationary engines, trucks and motorcycles.still manage to play hockey 1 night a week. don't know how much longer i can get away with that. have 4 kids zach 6,taylor and sam 2,and robyn 3 wks :argh: .they alone keep us busy.mm is my favorite and the wife likes mh but we have some of every color and enjoy them all.thats all for now.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Originally posted by bear
name:scott
we farm 1760 acres of our own and rent some. run a small repair business out of the farmshop trying to stick to fixing the older stuff.usually have around 100 old tractors at any time sometimes more but not to often less(they must be like the kids rabbits)as well as several parts tractor.also have a weak spot for stationary engines, trucks and motorcycles.still manage to play hockey 1 night a week. don't know how much longer i can get away with that. have 4 kids zach 6,taylor and sam 2,and robyn 3 wks :argh: .they alone keep us busy.mm is my favorite and the wife likes mh but we have some of every color and enjoy them all.thats all for now.
WOW OH WOW OH WOW! Don't know what I am more excited about ---- the 1760 ACRES! :bouncy: or the 100 OLD TRACTORS that you get to work on! Can you post any pics of all of the land, your farming activities and operation, and the tractors you are working on? 4 kids ---- 4 young kids --- that must take up a lot of your time and energy! :D ---- What exactly do you farm up there and tell us more about your location in Canada and the harsh winters you must experience. What type of Internet do they have up in your area?

Thanks for sharing --- it is great to hear about your life. :D

Andy
:alien:

·
Registered
977 Posts
we got our first snow last week it hasn't got to cold yet,but -30 to -40 is quite commonfrom mid nov to feb. we are located in south saskatchewan just above the montana and north dakota border.we just have dial up available here but the are starting to bring high speed to rural areas.the tractors we use in the feild are 835 versatile, 1805 mf, 7010 ac, 1100 mf, gvi mm and the most used tractor around the yard uts mm its just to handy for moving stuff around the rest of the tractors earn their keep once in a while.we seed flax, wheat, oats and are getting started into peas and lentils.my team would be calgary flames.it must be because they are like the team i play on- don't win to many games. i hope that answered all the questions. feel free to ask any questions on the mm forum with the books i have i'll try to help any one out.heres a pic of one bunch of tractors we have.

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
forgot to answer the question about current projects ready to paint a wc allis then starting on a w patrol allis grader. its a stretched out wc with a grader attachment.as for customer tractors a complete restore on a jd a, t/a on 806 ih and clutch on a 602 mm.next week i'm starting on putting a m 10 cummins electronic control out of a 2001 freightliner rollover into a 1955 kenworth glad the guy has lots of money he's going to need it. the ecm and wiring from the freightliner has to get mounted in kw

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Wow! Are those pics of tractors or snow collection/snow drift shielding devices? You must forgive me I am from the other edge of the US in Louisiana and that would be a sight to see! :D Send some more pics --- love hearing about your different life and work up there in Canada.

Andy

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't think anyone would be interested in my boring life, but here goes. I live in the same town that I was born in. Didn't graduate high school. Went into service, got what little education I have. Started in heavy construction at 21 as flunky, worked my way up thru the different positions until I was Maint. Superintendent. Have worked as Coordinator and Consultant also. Traveled a lot. Worked in 40 different states, Aruba, and Puerto Rico. Was told in March 98 to go home and have an early Christmas, that I wouldn't be alive then. (Ha Ha, did I fool them.) Divided all my good stuff up among my 5 kids. Built a temp garage in 1995 that I haven't finished yet. Now all I have to work with is junk, but I enjoy it. Hobbies. All of them are "used to be hobbies". Buying, driving, selling antique cars, fishing, gardening, and a very little hunting. Used to have over 100 antique pocket watches and enjoyed collecting coins. All gone now. Just tinker with Cubs when I feel good. And God has let me feel real good the last few weeks. Have 5 great kids all grown and gone. I have one canine daughter, a Lasso Apso (sp?) Had 5 acres, but sold down to 2 acres. Still too much for the wife and I. I miss work more than anything and have hopes of going back part time one day. Enough already.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
merlin, excuse me if i am being nosey here.. in 1998 you were told you would not see christmas, 5 years later your alive... that is great... what ails you? and how old are you?

PS. 5 kids and seeing/worknig in 40 + states is not boring in my book....

sj

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Originally posted by Merlin
I don't think anyone would be interested in my boring life, but here goes. I live in the same town that I was born in. Didn't graduate high school. Went into service, got what little education I have. Started in heavy construction at 21 as flunky, worked my way up thru the different positions until I was Maint. Superintendent. Have worked as Coordinator and Consultant also. Traveled a lot. Worked in 40 different states, Aruba, and Puerto Rico. Was told in March 98 to go home and have an early Christmas, that I wouldn't be alive then. (Ha Ha, did I fool them.) Divided all my good stuff up among my 5 kids. Built a temp garage in 1995 that I haven't finished yet. Now all I have to work with is junk, but I enjoy it. Hobbies. All of them are "used to be hobbies". Buying, driving, selling antique cars, fishing, gardening, and a very little hunting. Used to have over 100 antique pocket watches and enjoyed collecting coins. All gone now. Just tinker with Cubs when I feel good. And God has let me feel real good the last few weeks. Have 5 great kids all grown and gone. I have one canine daughter, a Lasso Apso (sp?) Had 5 acres, but sold down to 2 acres. Still too much for the wife and I. I miss work more than anything and have hopes of going back part time one day. Enough already.
Merlin, tell me more too --- I am interested --- especially since you are so close here in LA ---- You have applied yourself obviously and done very well in taking the pride to take care of your family, your children and your land. I respect that immensely.
Maybe I could help you finish your garage if you want sometime. (AND DRAG JODYAND OVER THERE TOO FOR A LITTLE PARTY! :D )
Hope you are doing well my friend.

Andy

1 - 20 of 290 Posts