Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I can't imagine NOT having rust stains in your pants after that. And it was on the drivers side. Thats a long way down.:skull:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
They had that happen over here a cab over truck hit the side of the New Mississippi bridge here on I10 in Baton Rouge head on. The truck stayed the cab didn't it came off fell into the river and started sinking a tug boat was right there and someone on the tug jump in and got the guy out. And it was a heck of a fall cause its tall enough to allow ships to pass under.
Jody

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
In the 1960's a tractor trailer cause a bridge over the Mississippi river at Muscatine Iowa to collapse. The driver got on top his cab grabed what remained of the bridge and walked to safety.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I live near what has happened and have crossed this bridge many times. The bridge is a narrow older bridge, it has a lot of people that are normally walking the bridge to look over the side. Heck I have walked the bridge myself. I never really thought of the danger until yesterday. Several cars and trucks over the years have crashed on the narrow approach roads but not in my mind has a truck ever crash in the described manner of the article. Thats the problem because the truck was going in the only direction onto Whidbey Island without using the ferry which is 60 miles to the south. Guess the state will now have to install better signage to warn truckers of the high winds and possibly shut down the bridge to trucks during high winds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts