1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Hydro transaxle.

Discussion in 'Craftsman / Sears' started by wjjones, Aug 6, 2017.

1. wjjones

wjjones Moderator Staff Member

May 27, 2010
    My ys4500 has a confusing issue when I pull the freewheel lever out to purge the tranny. It will not move in reverse during purging but when I press forward on the pedal it takes off? Its like freewheel works for pushing it around, and reverse but forward when its running it still wants to pull. I mowed for 20 minutes the other day with the lever out, and didnt realize the lever was out until I tried to backup.

2. sixbales

sixbales Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    Howdy wjj,

The freewheeling lever (rod) should disconnect the hydro from the differential. You should be able to push it freely in either direction. The rod may be bent slightly, whereby it is not fully disengaging. Disconnect the freewheeling rod from the lever on the transmission and see if it strokes the the lever fully.

3. wjjones

May 27, 2010
    No there is no damage to the freewheel lever it just drives foward with it out but not backwards. It will still push too but it just won't sit still to purge when you push the pedal forward.

4. wjjones

May 27, 2010
    I think something is broken inside because the brake disc locks when you set the park brake but everything still turns.

5. wjjones

May 27, 2010
    Well I figured out the brake problem the splines in the brake disc where chewed out. Still no luck on the forward motion while the lever is out though.

6. wjjones

May 27, 2010
    I cant find a pdf for a 400506 iht 356-0510. But heres a pic of the brake disc, and the new one they sent that the center hole is to small. They triple checked the part# but its still not the correct part. I also have a pic of the shaft the disc goes on. I think someone got in a hurry, and pulled from the wrong parts bin. 20170829_171932.jpg

Attached Files:

7. wjjones

May 27, 2010
    Heres some pictures of the center hole size differences. After these pics the place I ordered them from still insist they sent me the correct brake disc.

Attached Files:

8. jhngardner367

jhngardner367 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lonoke,Arkansas
    They sure don't look the same.
    Are you sure of the trans model ?

9. wjjones

May 27, 2010
    Yes Sir I triple checked it but I cant find a pdf for it. 20170831_081448-1.jpg

10. wjjones

May 27, 2010
    Ok I finally found a pdf parts list but I still need a pdf service, and repair manual. But the brake disc part# on it is 51072 I checked my model# on searspartsdirect, and it says 583041801 which is the one that didn't fit. I think sears parts list is not correct for the 356-0510 or 400506 Iht.

11. wjjones

May 27, 2010
    New brake disk got here yesterday, and it fit so the 51072 part# from hydrogear is correct. Sears has the wrong part# listed for it 583041801.