Featured Hydro transaxle.

Discussion in 'Craftsman / Sears' started by wjjones, Aug 6, 2017.

1. wjjones

wjjones Moderator Staff Member

May 27, 2010
    My ys4500 has a confusing issue when I pull the freewheel lever out to purge the tranny. It will not move in reverse during purging but when I press forward on the pedal it takes off? Its like freewheel works for pushing it around, and reverse but forward when its running it still wants to pull. I mowed for 20 minutes the other day with the lever out, and didnt realize the lever was out until I tried to backup.

2. sixbales

sixbales Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    Howdy wjj,

The freewheeling lever (rod) should disconnect the hydro from the differential. You should be able to push it freely in either direction. The rod may be bent slightly, whereby it is not fully disengaging. Disconnect the freewheeling rod from the lever on the transmission and see if it strokes the the lever fully.

3. wjjones

May 27, 2010
    No there is no damage to the freewheel lever it just drives foward with it out but not backwards. It will still push too but it just won't sit still to purge when you push the pedal forward.

4. wjjones

May 27, 2010
    I think something is broken inside because the brake disc locks when you set the park brake but everything still turns.