Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1974 model Ford 3550 Backhoe and a few weeks ago I bought some hydraulic oil for it and today I was going to buy another 5 gallons for it when I noticed that was for tractors manufactured after 1989. It has the same specifications as the oil I've used for 40 years, can I used this oil or not?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hello Red Dog, welcome to the forum.

Check the label to see if it meets or exceeds Ford tractor fluid spec 134D.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Red Dog, welcome to the forum.

Check the label to see if it meets or exceeds Ford tractor fluid spec 134D.
Thanks for the come back Bud, I checked the specs on the can and it does mention Ford New Holland M2C134-B /C /D, although it does have an asterisk beside these and the info at the bottom says "specification obsolete". Any thoughts on this? Thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm sure it is obsolete, Ford has been out of the tractor business for 30+ years. But Ford spec 134D is still the standard most Ford tractor owners go by. Universal Tractor Fluids that meet or exceed spec 134D are acceptable.

Your tractor was assembled 45+ years ago. The fluid recommended for your tractor was probably 303 oil. You can still get this oil if you want it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure it is obsolete, Ford has been out of the tractor business for 30+ years. But Ford spec 134D is still the standard most Ford tractor owners go by. Universal Tractor Fluids that meet or exceed spec 134D are acceptable.

Your tractor was assembled 45+ years ago. The fluid recommended for your tractor was probably 303 oil. You can still get this oil if you want it.
Ok, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,013 Posts

Except I do believe that the makers of 303 are in a law suit over that oil?!? Just something that was lodged in the back of my mine. Worth looing into though.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
That is correct Bill but it's because people were buying it because of the low cost and it was causing issues in units where they required better oil. 303 is very basic fluid with basically no additives and like I've said before, cheap isn't always good. In fact cheap is usually no good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts