Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No matter how tight I put on the new filter, it becomes lose. It seems temperature dependent when it gets cold outside (32F) it happens faster. Can I do anything to stop this? When I install a new filter, I can not tighten the filter anymore without fear of damage to the filter but it still works lose. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
No matter how tight I put on the new filter, it becomes lose. It seems temperature dependent when it gets cold outside (32F) it happens faster. Can I do anything to stop this? When I install a new filter, I can not tighten the filter anymore without fear of damage to the filter but it still works lose. Any suggestions?
G'day btowns, welcome to the forum:

Strange you should be having this problem, are you spinning the filter on until the rubber seal touches the base and then turning a 1/4 turn as the usual filter install instructions say?, do you lube the new rubber seal before install, if you have a filter remover, you can use this to tighten the filter some more, mount this at the bottom of the filter where the sides meet the bottom and this will prevent crush and tighten a further 1/4 turn.

Does the filter feel loose on the threaded section when you spin this on?, do you also make sure when you remove the old filter, the rubber seal comes away with the filter and hasn't remained stuck to the mount base?, if the old seal is still in place when the new filter is screwed on, then this will give you a major leak problem when the engine is started.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
G'day btowns, welcome to the forum:

Strange you should be having this problem, are you spinning the filter on until the rubber seal touches the base and then turning a 1/4 turn as the usual filter install instructions say?, do you lube the new rubber seal before install, if you have a filter remover, you can use this to tighten the filter some more, mount this at the bottom of the filter where the sides meet the bottom and this will prevent crush and tighten a further 1/4 turn.

Does the filter feel loose on the threaded section when you spin this on?, do you also make sure when you remove the old filter, the rubber seal comes away with the filter and hasn't remained stuck to the mount base?, if the old seal is still in place when the new filter is screwed on, then this will give you a major leak problem when the engine is started.
I have been successful in changing the filter for my 50 and 100 hour service. Yes, I make sure that all of the old filter was removed including the gasket. The threads seem tight, no different that any other oil filter I have changed. I have never had a problem with any oil filter before following these steps: Apply a thin film of oil on the rubber gasket, spinning the new filter on till it stops, making it hand tight and then applying an oil filter wrench and turning it another 1/2 -3/4 turn. The tractor was not used for two weeks and the temperature dropped from 70+F down to 32F over the 2 weeks. When I parked the tractor two weeks ago, there was no leak and I had just finished using the tractor for several hours. I wanted to use the tractor to move my finish mower to clean it for winter storage so I started the tractor and walked away for about 10 mins because it was very cold. I was letting the tractor run and warm up (just parked with no load) and it may have started to leak when I started the tractor but I did not notice it until I came back. . Most of the hydraulic fluid was on the ground before I noticed. I had to replace the filter as the one that leaked would no longer seal even when I re-tightened. Then, once I was sure the leak was stopped and I had added fluid back, I moved the tractor and shut it off for about 2 hours. Before I started the tractor again I checked the filter and to my surprise, it was loose again (but not leaking) and I had to re-tighten to hand tight and then used the wrench again. I have parked the tractor and will check the filter before each use to make sure I start off tight. I have never had a filter, once tight and not leaking, ever spontaneously become loose. Can I use lock-tight on the threads?

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
No!!, don't use Loctite, you may end up with a bigger problem trying to remove the filter even though Loctite is mostly compatible with most oils.

Do you have any smart A's living close to you, like a fool that would sneak in and loosen the filter without you knowing??.

Your procedure is on par for filter changes, could be the cold weather, but with the amount of torque you apply to the filter when replaced, should overcome that from shrinkage.

Do you use genuine filters or after market?, next time you do a change, check the thread plate across the end of the filter and take a measurement across and record the depth to the threaded section, and if your trouble still happens, remove the filter and measure across the top to see if this has distorted/stretched, if the plate was to stretch, then the filter will loosen.

Good to see that you have adopted the idea of staying by the tractor and checking for filter leaks before moving away while the machine warms up.(y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No!!, don't use Loctite, you may end up with a bigger problem trying to remove the filter even though Loctite is mostly compatible with most oils.

Do you have any smart A's living close to you, like a fool that would sneak in and loosen the filter without you knowing??.

Your procedure is on par for filter changes, could be the cold weather, but with the amount of torque you apply to the filter when replaced, should overcome that from shrinkage.

Do you use genuine filters or after market?, next time you do a change, check the thread plate across the end of the filter and take a measurement across and record the depth to the threaded section, and if your trouble still happens, remove the filter and measure across the top to see if this has distorted/stretched, if the plate was to stretch, then the filter will loosen.

Good to see that you have adopted the idea of staying by the tractor and checking for filter leaks before moving away while the machine warms up.(y)
Thank you, I will take the measurements next time I have the filter off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you tightening the filter to the point of distortion?
No distortion noted. I am careful to avoid doing that. This happened once before at the 50 hour change and I blamed it on my being too light on my oil wrench. When I replaced that filter I followed the procedure I listed and it lasted all the way to the 105 hours with no issues. At least I did not get a lot of people responding to my post saying YES that happens to me all the time. I was wondering if this is an isolated issue.

·
Administrator
11,185 Posts
It just seems odd. There has to be a reason.... I wonder if the mating surface for the filter gasket is marred or nicked, or has a bit of debris that's not noticed.
To repeat what Fred said, are you using aftermarket filters? It may be time to cross reference your filter and see if you can find an alternative.

·
Administrator
11,185 Posts
Brand new filter right from the dealer (Kioti product). Gasket is intact, nothing left from the old gasket.
If that's the case, then either you have dirt or rust on the engine mating surface, or you are not putting a good skim oil new fresh oil on the gasket prior to installation. Any bit of dirt may give you grief. If you dump your oil and remove the filter you should be able to clean up both surfaces really well and see if that helps. Other than that, is the pipe thread fitting that the filter screws on to, tight?
By the way, I install filters by turning them until the surfaces mate, then by hand, I turn them no more than a 1/4 turn more... not 3/4. Most filter installations I've come across recommend hand tight on, filter wrench off. Maybe a fellow Kioti owner here on site, can offer their experience. Is this tractor new? Under warranty, perhaps?

·
Registered
Kubota M9960
41 Posts
Our Bobcat leaks when below freezing, not sure it’s at the filter but it’s a consistent problem Just when parked and not in use. We now move it from the pole barn to the heated garage for the winter. Never get a leak that way And we can use it in the cold without a noticeable leak but always put it right back in the warm when done. Our problem could be some other seals we just don’t know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
May sound dumb but get a hose clamp large enough to fit the oil filter and clamp a wire or anything too keep that filter from moving. That will tell you if it is coming loose or some other part is giving.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Use a lighter weight oil .Check for a restriction in the out put side of the filter .Hydrlic filters require more tight that engine oil filters .Even low pressure is much higher than engine oil .Are you using a fliter wrench to tighten the filter ?try using a rubber strap wrench get it as thight as you can .Call the dealer see if the broblem is common to that model .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dealer says no one else is reporting the issue. I have tighten the filter way beyond a normal engine oil filter. I have three filters on the tractor. Two Hydraulic filters (Black and Orange) and the engine oil. I have had no issues with any other filter with using a standard procedure to install a new filter. It is not an issue of not sealing initially, only becoming loose after use. Thanks everyone for all your help, this has been nice to get feedback other that the dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A friend who raced Moto Guzzi motorcycles (back in the 80's) showed me one of the race mechanics' tricks. He put a hose clamp around the filter positioned so that the screw/worm tighening mechanism was up against the engine's casting. This prevents the filter from unscrewing and dumping the oil. Might that work for you?

·
Registered
60 Posts
You might the only one with the problem .But there is something going on that's not right .My secound guess would the nipple the filter screws on has bad threads some how .To small or cut wrong. If the two filters have the same nipple size I would swap the filter and see if the filter comes loose . Or try a different brand of fliter..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts