1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Huskee with Powermore 420cc

Discussion in 'General Lawn Garden Tractor Forum' started by lcrepairs, Jun 19, 2016.

1. lcrepairs

lcrepairs Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2015
    I've worked on quite a few different types of mowers and equipment but this in a new one to me. I'm working on a 42" Riding cheap mower from Tractor supply for a blowing oil smoke from the exhaust. I would think it would have to be head gasket but I took it off and did not see any evidence of that. Replacing gasket but I can't seem to find head bolt torque specs anywhere. Anyone have a clue on that? Bolt size is about 3/8-24, I didn't check them for sure but that's what it appeared to be. 14mm or 9/16 head.

2. lcrepairs

Jul 25, 2015
    Bolts are m10x1.25 actually, just looked at parts list. I torqued them to 25 lb/ft but I doubt that's enough.

3. sixbales

sixbales Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    Howdy lcrepairs,

In looking at B&S head bolt torque specs, your 25 ft.-lbs. (300 inch pounds) of torque should be more than adequate, till you find a better source of information.

If it's not the head gasket, did you see any evidence of scoring on the cylinder walls when you had the head off? Could be the engine was run low on oil? Or maybe a crack somewhere? Is there a lot of blow-by coming out of the crankcase vent tube?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  4. lcrepairs

Jul 25, 2015
    No scoring at all. It has tons of blowby crankcase line is blowing smoke and oil. I disassembled engine. Took piston out. Just seems like rings are so weak or worn they aren't doing anything. I sure wish i could find a timing procedure, this has a balance shaft. I dont think I moved it but want to make sure.

Attached Files:

5. lcrepairs

Jul 25, 2015
    FYI, (Not that anyone cares LOL) I ordered Piston & Rings, now playing the waiting game.

6. lcrepairs

Jul 25, 2015
    Finally got parts in for this. New piston and rings are alot more heavy duty than the original. Surprise, crap made in China on original engine build is 3 or 4 times lighter duty than these new rings. Piston grooves are alot wider to accept bigger rings. Good thing I ordered piston and rings. But.....I feel dump asking this question. One of the rings (I believe it's the second groove) has a step on it. The only mark on the ring is a D, I thought that might mean down but the only markings I've ever heard of always meant it goes up. Does anyone know if the step on the ring goes up or down? From pics I saw on Google somewhere it looks like it goes down, for a wiping action I guess.

7. lcrepairs

Jul 25, 2015
    To end this story, I did replace the rings, put it all back together and It ran perfect with no issues. The tiny rings that were in it from the factory were a joke, I don't know how it ever ran fine from the start. New piston and rings was the fix here. The new rings wouldn't have even fit the old piston. The parts list don't even tell you that.

8. Dgm308

Dgm308 New Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Where did you order your parts?