Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Jim White and I live in the Liberty Hill area in the Texas Hill Country. I am a Mahindra C35 owner and I work 24 arces with it! I am a 41 year old single father who is recently devorced, I am currently between jobs (I have been spending my time working on all that stuff that has accumulated over the last fifteen years and I still have at least a years of stuff to do before I can say it is done!) Will the world stop when I complete all my task?

I was born in Dallas my family moved to Liberty Hill when I was 15, The rural life was not a shock to me there was a cattle ranch a block away from our house. I spent several summer in Greenville Texas working on my Great Grand Father's Cotton Farm, like many of us I have been around tractors before I could walk. I have worked with Case, Farmall, Ford, Minn. Moline, and now Mahindra.

I live in an Underground House (it was featured in Better Home and Gardens in Aug 1980), I have been updating it with hard wood floors, fresh paint, etc. The lesson learned is that dust has no place to go except to sink into the carpet, you could not see the carpet pad after I lifted to carpet (that why I chose hardwood floors).

After I finish working on the house I going to build a cordwood barn.

http://www.daycreek.com/dc/html/allthingscordwood.htm

I have plenty of cedar trees and termites don't eat it!
Have any of y'all tried cordwood building?
Regards Jim

·
Registered
497 Posts
Nice to meet you Jim. Hope you enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Great to have you aboard Jim. The cordwood building web page had some really interesting info. on it. Being that I have about 8 cords of wood setting around; it got me to wondering what the possibilities are? :D ;)

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jim! Recently divorced and you got to keep the tractor and the land:thumbsup: Must of had a good lawyer. Frioends of mine were lucky to keep the clothes on their backs. I'm looking forward to progress on the cord wood barn project. It's a readily available material in my nect of the woods and I've read a little on it. Thanks for the web site, lots more info there that I'll peruse later.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Jim and welcome.

Ill bet your house is one that my in-laws openly coveted for a while. They always wanted to build an underground house but it never panned out. Aside from the dust issue, how does it perform? The heating/cooling part working as planned?

waynl

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About the house everything in flux (redoing each room on at a time and about 45% complete).

It is a 2350 sqft house, I just replaced the A/C-heatpump with a new Puron unit Brayant system (.9 ton unit). This size unit is designed for a -1000 sqft house.
My electric bill $62 and the house was kept at 72 and the out average temp was 97. This is for an all electric house (you don't want gas in an underground house). The front of the house is pointing to the southeast so in the morning in the winter (non the summer) direct sun light shine into the windows and heats the house up by 10 degrees. Never had to use the heat pump, the heating is by the fireplace that has a heatalator (duct work to go to each room). burn avg. of 2 cords of wood a year.

sorry I taken a better pic of it

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Red cone

The red cone was because my mom back her Rav4 in to my truck a week earlier so I put is there so she wouldn't back it into the house (she didn't think it was as funny as the grandkids did).

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Smart idea, I just couldn't resist the little jab!

There is a house down the road from us that is built into the side of a hill as well. I always thought you wanted to have it face south so you got the sun all day, but I guess it makes sense in Texas or Oklahoma you don't want or need it all day for the heat. You would roast if you had it all day! Theyface south east as well. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Re: The Red cone

Originally posted by Wingnut
The red cone was because my mom back her Rav4 in to my truck a week earlier so I put is there so she wouldn't back it into the house (she didn't think it was as funny as the grandkids did).
:lmao:

Welcome to the forums, Jim.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Welcome Jim. Great looking house... I have heard of cordwood building but never in my wildist dream did ever think of that type of constructin...Very unique.. Again welcome to the :secret: TractorForum

1 - 13 of 13 Posts