1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ! Newbie farmer here :)
We just purchased 25 acres.
We also purchased a Ford 1700
I also purchased an agrotiller. It's a big 5 footer requiring about 35 hp. My tractor is small and suited for about 23 hp.
My question is
Can I remove some of the tines to cause it to require less hp ?
Thanks to anyone in advance
God bless.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
The frank answer is not very well. If you remove tines the tiller will not properly chop the soil. I have seen tines removed from one side to make the cutting width narrower, but tillers rely on the location of the side covers to entrap the soil so it will work into a seed bed.
When the sides do not hold the soil in the tillage implement it becomes necessary to till one way, then in the opposuite direction on each run so the soil on the "short of tines" side will be worked.
Removing tines from the shaft so in place of four per section, there are two, results in an increased horsepower requiremenr as the remaining tines tend to hammer, jump, and dig instead of cut.

My recommendation is to use the tiller as is, go slow, and set the digging depth shallow on the first pass, then lower the depth and make additional passes until the seed bed is prepared.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply and detailed advice. I am going to do as you instructed. I am in middle Georgia and the ground is very soft with no rocks so hopefully If I go slow it will be ok.
Thanks again for all the information !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts