Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I thought I would post this. It is a donation site for the famlies
of our service people. Even if you are against the war the troops are doing their job and the famlies are left with less money coming in most of the time. Here is the link if anybody is interested and you can check it out. I have made donations to them.
I hope I did not break any posting rules by posting this. If so
Andy can delete it.
Rod
http://www.aerhq.org/

·
Premium Member
4,116 Posts
:thumbsup: Thanks Rodster! Looks like a good place to send a few $$$, instead of some of the usual crap I get in the mail begging for money.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
great rod...

our local lions club just did a fundraiser to send stuff to the local troops serving overseas.. it was a great turnout.. we also had their families come to the club for a dinner and to pack the boxes... its gotta be tough on all those young families with their dads (and moms) pulled overseas...

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They also say that 95 per cent of every dollar goes to help. Lots
of places have a very low per cent that actually goes to help. Their website gives a lot of information about them so you can check them out.
Rodster

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Guys, I know your hearts are in the right place and you certainly mean all the best, but PLEASE DO NOT give a penny to these crooks.

My 21 years of service in the Army taught me that this organization relies upon strong arm tactics by encouraging unit brigade, and division commanders to "strong arm" the soldiers and officers into making large donations which many cannot afford but do so out or fear of retribution (less than competitive NCOERS or OERs, given punishment duties, etc.).

The vast majority of soldiers and officers I knew hated this organization with a passion. Many of my friends and I as well were threatened with retribution if we did not give to this organization. Over 20 years this amounted to thousands of dollars strong armed out of my wallet as well as MANY others. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard soldiers complain about how AER turned them down when they asked for help.

There are a large number of organizations out there to choose from; AER is unfortunately in my opinion a politically motivated organization that has no genuine interest in helping the soldiers but more about getting photo ops. The Red Cross comes to mind and I am sure there are other good organizations that truly do help the soldiers.

·
Registered
499 Posts
As the father of a soldier who goes overseas for six months every two years, I've got to say that any charity which is run by the command structure is not where I'd put my money. The military is the type of organization which, as Chief said above, tends to use command authority to achieve personal goals including Glory. The involvement of the Secretary of War in starting it indicates to me that it was designed to find a job for guys at the top rank they didn't want in the regular structure, as well as covering for inadequate pay and benefits for the troops.

And if you're staffed by guys who are paid by General's pensions, it's probably pretty easy to keep your overhead ratio down to 5%

We have a similar one funded by profit from Canex (Base shop), distributed by base commanders. It usually makes an allowance to the base commander which he pockets and then distributes with no oversight..... or any guarantee it ever left his pocket.

If you really want to help the troops, ask the guy running in your district to commit to sponsor a bill to raise the pay of everybody below commissioned rank by 10% extra this year. And vote for him, and hassle him if he reneges ................. Make your rep know it's important to you!

If that guy doesn't get in, make sure the other guy knows that's the price for your support next time.

If the troops on the ground in Iraq need charity to keep their families going back here, that should be a bigger scandal than anything that's been talked about on the Political Flames Board!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Originally posted by simple_john
great rod...

our local lions club just did a fundraiser to send stuff to the local troops serving overseas.. it was a great turnout.. we also had their families come to the club for a dinner and to pack the boxes... its gotta be tough on all those young families with their dads (and moms) pulled overseas...
I was never a fan of the animal clubs, but that sounds like a job well done. Congratulations John!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
Guys, I know your hearts are in the right place and you certainly mean all the best, but PLEASE DO NOT give a penny to these crooks.

My 21 years of service in the Army taught me that this organization relies upon strong arm tactics by encouraging unit brigade, and division commanders to "strong arm" the soldiers and officers into making large donations which many cannot afford but do so out or fear of retribution (less than competitive NCOERS or OERs, given punishment duties, etc.).

The vast majority of soldiers and officers I knew hated this organization with a passion. Many of my friends and I as well were threatened with retribution if we did not give to this organization. Over 20 years this amounted to thousands of dollars strong armed out of my wallet as well as MANY others. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard soldiers complain about how AER turned them down when they asked for help.

There are a large number of organizations out there to choose from; AER is unfortunately in my opinion a politically motivated organization that has no genuine interest in helping the soldiers but more about getting photo ops. The Red Cross comes to mind and I am sure there are other good organizations that truly do help the soldiers.

Chief,
Some 6 hours after this was posted I debated with good conscience about providing a response!!

Chief from your view point as a Warrant Officer I can understand your exasperations being asked to contribute to those less fortunate than you, kind of like being asked (harassed) by The American Red Cross!!

Please understand I never liked to see this fund drive and all it's pleas and extraneous paraphernalia hit my Desk as a Commanding Officer of units up to and Including 4000 personal!!

On no Occasion have I ever been threatened by any Higher Level of Command (General Officers and above)!!other than be encouraged to support this worthy effort of "Taking care of our Own"

I am just going to leave the reader with this: Commanders are endowed with responsibility and they exercise that by their position in the military structure! Commissioned Staff Officers and Warrant Technical Officers do not and cannot exercise that authority!!

I know from personal knowledge that this organization has helped those that legitimately cannot help themselves, as well as myself from my own pocket!!

I just dissagree with you and my previous experience allows me to do that with justification!!

Dean

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
"Chief from your view point as a Warrant Officer I can understand your exasperations being asked to contribute to those less fortunate than you...."

"Commanders are endowed with responsibility and they exercise that by their position in the military structure! Commissioned Staff Officers and Warrant Technical Officers do not and cannot exercise that authority!!"

I guess the Chosen One has spoken, and set the record straight!

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
There are local groups familys of service personal.That you can donate to.In my area its is Operation Support Our Soldiers.It is ran by family members of those serving.They send common things like Tooth paste and local news papers and letters from school children showing support.Mostly just away to show them we care.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Please,

When a service member has a bonified emergency IE. the death of a parent and or a close family member and the Service Member has no funds to acquire travel from far away. Who do you think advances those funds!!

Lets stop the crap shall we! All the toothpaste in the world While appreciated wont get this service member home in time to attend, and often He/She is the only responsible person to make those arrangements!! This is just an example of what I mean by Take care of our own!!AER

If you want to be a smart ass to me personally Fine!! But please confine your comments about AER to what you can factually state!!

Dean

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
My comments WERE meant for you...personally!
Were your arrogant comments typical for a "Commanding Officer" back in your days? Just curious...

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Sorry Dean I was a little confused on what the topic was about.I looked again and now understand better.I was meaning rather then giving money to some organasation that probably uses the money to line there own pockets.It is better to give to a local group with local people you have known all your life.

After reading I understand what the topic is about.I was told that if you have an emergency and need to locate a service person.The Red Cross was the way to go?

I do not want this to turn into a argument Dean?I just did not read completly before I typed.I just got word my son will be going overseas in about 30 days.I will not say to where because I am not sure if I am suppose to say and not sure if I should say.Its a jittery time for us right now.He has been lucky and has been in the States the past 21/2 years.Thats about to change and right at the Holiday season.But he is excited and we are excited for him.He is in the USAF and has our support along with all service men and women.I might not support Bush but I do support them.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Originally posted by johndeere
Sorry Dean I was a little confused on what the topic was about.I looked again and now understand better.I was meaning rather then giving money to some organasation that probably uses the money to line there own pockets.It is better to give to a local group with local people you have known all your life.

After reading I understand what the topic is about.I was told that if you have an emergency and need to locate a service person.The Red Cross was the way to go?

I do not want this to turn into a argument Dean?I just did not read completly before I typed.I just got word my son will be going overseas in about 30 days.I will not say to where because I am not sure if I am suppose to say and not sure if I should say.Its a jittery time for us right now.He has been lucky and has been in the States the past 21/2 years.Thats about to change and right at the Holiday season.But he is excited and we are excited for him.He is in the USAF and has our support along with all service men and women.I might not support Bush but I do support them.
JD, No apology necessary and Godspeed to your son, believe me I can understand your feelings and if I can ever be of help to you and your family please don't hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,
Dean
PS my e-mail is in my profile if you care to use it!

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
chief and Dean are both correct -- different levels of duty produce different levels of view experience-- what any command ranker sees is different than what any grunt sees -- I personally, base uponMy experience - would not donate to them[ if I had been given a real choice] and would give to a dedicated red cross unit instead -- any donation forced upon one;s troops is NOT a donation-- it is a dun-- a good commander knows this -- the xo may answer to the captain, but he stands for the crew--

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Originally posted by bigl22
chief and Dean are both correct -- different levels of duty produce different levels of view experience-- what any command ranker sees is different than what any grunt sees -- I personally, base uponMy experience - would not donate to them[ if I had been given a real choice] and would give to a dedicated red cross unit instead -- any donation forced upon one;s troops is NOT a donation-- it is a dun-- a good commander knows this -- the xo may answer to the captain, but he stands for the crew--
Never ever was a donation forced on anyone that I am even remotely aware of. A Commander would lose his Command in an instant for such behavior!!!

The Red Cross while a great organization was any thing but responsive to an individual Soldiers time in need! The AER was and always is the first choice for LEGITIMATE individual needs!!!!
Don't take my word for it check their rating!!

BTW I began my career as a Grunt as you put it!! And no one is forcing you to donate to anything!

Dean

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did not mean to spark an argument. I worked for GM for 33 years and we had the United fund drive ounce a year. Some supervisors really pressured the guys to donate to that.
I remember years ago the foreman was pressuring this old journeyman to donate. The old guy kept refusing. Finally the foreman said he would match whatever the old guy would give. the old timer reached in his pocket and pulled out $100 and the foreman had to pay up. That was back when $100 was a lot of money.
I also heard some of my friends that were in the military complain that they were turned down by the Red Cross when they really needed help. I guess every group has some problems.
Rodster

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Originally posted by Rodster
Did not mean to spark an argument. I worked for GM for 33 years and we had the United fund drive ounce a year. Some supervisors really pressured the guys to donate to that.
I remember years ago the foreman was pressuring this old journeyman to donate. The old guy kept refusing. Finally the foreman said he would match whatever the old guy would give. the old timer reached in his pocket and pulled out $100 and the foreman had to pay up. That was back when $100 was a lot of money.
I also heard some of my friends that were in the military complain that they were turned down by the Red Cross when they really needed help. I guess every group has some problems.
Rodster
You did not spark an argument with me Rodster I just felt compelled to separate fact from fiction and I personally thank you for posting this thread!!
I appreciate your caring enough to Donate to this worthy group , somewhere someone is grateful that you did I guarantee it!!

Dean

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Originally posted by Archdean
Chief,
Some 6 hours after this was posted I debated with good conscience about providing a response!!

Chief from your view point as a Warrant Officer I can understand your exasperations being asked to contribute to those less fortunate than you, kind of like being asked (harassed) by The American Red Cross!!

Please understand I never liked to see this fund drive and all it's pleas and extraneous paraphernalia hit my Desk as a Commanding Officer of units up to and Including 4000 personal!!

On no Occasion have I ever been threatened by any Higher Level of Command (General Officers and above)!!other than be encouraged to support this worthy effort of "Taking care of our Own"

I am just going to leave the reader with this: Commanders are endowed with responsibility and they exercise that by their position in the military structure! Commissioned Staff Officers and Warrant Technical Officers do not and cannot exercise that authority!!

I know from personal knowledge that this organization has helped those that legitimately cannot help themselves, as well as myself from my own pocket!!

I just dissagree with you and my previous experience allows me to do that with justification!!

Dean
Dean, I am speaking from my point of view as a former soldier and Chief Warrant Officer that has INDEED on more than a FEW occasions been placed in command at the Company and Battalion Level of the largest battalion in the Army that is composed of companies the size of typical avaiton line battalions. And not just for a few days or weeks or months I might add.

You might be surprised to learn the the Airfield Commanders for Campbell Army Airfield and Sabre Army Heliport located at Ft. Campbell are WARRANT OFFICERS. WARRANT OFFICERS hold commands of company sized unit that operate the Army's LSV's which are ocean capable and going shore landing ships. WARRANT OFFICERS do EVERYTHING commisoned officers do to include training the junior and senior commisioned officers as well as the NCO as many if not most are former Senior NCO's; we just get screwed on the pay and allowances that's all.

I have spent too much wasted time in division, brigade, battalion, and company level staff meetings listening to the blah, blah, blah, with spring butts constantly attempting to reinvent the wheel as well as building and sitting through goofy Power Point presentations briefings which regularly exceeded 100 slides. :rolleyes: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

Up until the doc found "a little something" he didn't like on an MRI I also maintained my postion as senior test pilot and mission pilot in command in addition to my other duties.

I have on more than a few occasions had the Sergeant Major bring me soldiers who were having some serious family or personal problems and after counciling them I took them personally to the AER office and got NOTHING except smoke blown up my ass. I took it to the DISCOM commander and he got NOTHING but the same smoke.

The post or brigade finance office is who advances that money to soldiers to go home with, rarely is it the AER.

When soldiers needed help, we would pass the hat and take up our own donations. No coersion required. We ALWAYS tooks care of our own whether it was a soldier or family member. PERIOD. AER has no ability to exercise common sense or understand individual circumstances and the soldiers just gets lost in the bureaucracy.

I know from personal knowledge that this organization has on many occasions ignored those that legitimately needed help and they had to turn elsewhere. I have just heard one too many commanders and those in charge of the shake down and strong arm drive coerce and theaten people to give and to meet donation drive goals set by out of touch career artists from echelons above. I have had commanders confide with me that they had there balls in the vice from higher up to meet goals. I always anti'd up and gave more than was expected to support my commander and be a team player but it doesn't mean that I liked or approved of it.

Dean, I just dissagree with you and my previous experience allows me to do that with justification as well!! Nothing personal and certainly not meant to be conveyed out of good nature. I just disagree from very negative experience.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
And to that your entitled!!
Dean

Originally posted by Chief
Dean, I am speaking from my point of view as a former soldier and Chief Warrant Officer that has INDEED on more than a FEW occasions been placed in command at the Company and Battalion Level of the largest battalion in the Army that is composed of companies the size of typical avaiton line battalions. And not just for a few days or weeks or months I might add.

You might be surprised to learn the the Airfield Commanders for Campbell Army Airfield and Sabre Army Heliport located at Ft. Campbell are WARRANT OFFICERS. WARRANT OFFICERS hold commands of company sized unit that operate the Army's LSV's which are ocean capable and going shore landing ships. WARRANT OFFICERS do EVERYTHING commisoned officers do to include training the junior and senior commisioned officers as well as the NCO as many if not most are former Senior NCO's; we just get screwed on the pay and allowances that's all.

I have spent too much wasted time in division, brigade, battalion, and company level staff meetings listening to the blah, blah, blah, with spring butts constantly attempting to reinvent the wheel as well as building and sitting through goofy Power Point presentations briefings which regularly exceeded 100 slides. :rolleyes: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

Up until the doc found "a little something" he didn't like on an MRI I also maintained my postion as senior test pilot and mission pilot in command in addition to my other duties.

I have on more than a few occasions had the Sergeant Major bring me soldiers who were having some serious family or personal problems and after counciling them I took them personally to the AER office and got NOTHING except smoke blown up my ass. I took it to the DISCOM commander and he got NOTHING but the same smoke.

The post or brigade finance office is who advances that money to soldiers to go home with, rarely is it the AER.

When soldiers needed help, we would pass the hat and take up our own donations. No coersion required. We ALWAYS tooks care of our own whether it was a soldier or family member. PERIOD. AER has no ability to exercise common sense or understand individual circumstances and the soldiers just gets lost in the bureaucracy.

I know from personal knowledge that this organization has on many occasions ignored those that legitimately needed help and they had to turn elsewhere. I have just heard one too many commanders and those in charge of the shake down and strong arm drive coerce and theaten people to give and to meet donation drive goals set by out of touch career artists from echelons above. I have had commanders confide with me that they had there balls in the vice from higher up to meet goals. I always anti'd up and gave more than was expected to support my commander and be a team player but it doesn't mean that I liked or approved of it.

Dean, I just dissagree with you and my previous experience allows me to do that with justification as well!! Nothing personal and certainly not meant to be conveyed out of good nature. I just disagree from very negative experience.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts