Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a grape arbor in my back yard that was put in years ago by a previous owner. It consists of two posts with a 12' section of fence for the grape vines.
The grapes are a white variety and the vines look like they have been there for a long, long time.

The problem is there is honey suckle and black berry choking out the grapes.

I don't know the first thing about growing grapes but have made wine in the past So I want to get these plants producing if possible.

Any hints on this? I am guessing that the first thing to do is weed out the honeysuckle. I may want too keep the blackberry just thin it out.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Yea i would get rid of the honey suckle for sure that stuff is like kudzu it takes over everything. The black berry's wwwell you can use them to make black berry wine with:D
Jody

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
ed im real curious as to this too.. we used to have grapes as a kid and we tried wine.. yuck im a beer guy.. but we got lots of grape jelly...

id love to set up a trellus or arbor to grow them now...

I think that honey suckle are great plants. i have them growing around my lamp posts.. still small.. but they are great spring flowers..
If possible, id tranplant the honey suckles they are a good plant.

i did a seach on yahoo growing grapes..

seems to have some good info..

growing grape page

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Planted a few grape vines the other week. All new to me also. Gess we will see hot it works.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Only experience I have with grapes is eating them. As a kid my friends and I used to do what was commonly called back then raiding. It was merely sneaking into someones garden or yard and eating their grapes off their vines, or maybe picking a few tomatoes etc. Something to pass the night away with. Today they hold up stores and mug folks and do drivebys. Anyway last year we planted 2 Thompson and 2 Concord grape vines, supposedly 2 year old stock. From what I read n them they cana take up to 5 years for them to make grapes after the vines are just planted. However this year I have what appears to be ever so tiny clusters on them already. We have them growing over two cattle panels bent like an arch and attached to the end of that gazeebo I made with a old satellite dish. I have heard and read that they do need to be pruned pretty heavy, and they like triple 8 fertilizer and lots of zinc.

Sure hope what appears to be tiny grape clusters on our vines are indeed grapes.

We have hundreds of musadine vines and grapes on one side of our property growing wild. I am not particularly fond of eating them as even though they are classed as grapes, they just don;t taste like a good seedless thompson or concord types do. Sure looking forward to any info on grapes given on this post as well as eating some home grown grapes ASAP!

·
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"If possible, id tranplant the honey suckles they are a good plant."

Those honeysuckles are weeds around here. They take over whole fields and can be thick. I am constantly trying to control them.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Ed,

My suggestion would be--choke off the honeysuckle. If you really want to save the blackberries, move them.....Give your grapes 100% dominance of the growing site. This lets them establish where they'll run and gives them plenty of nourishment. Remember these plants not only compete for water and nutrients from the soil, but also sunlight from the sky.

·
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Argee, I pulled all the honeysuckle out tonight man it was a job! I agree, those grapes need 100% dominance of the growing site. The honeysuckle were already leafed out and growing while the grapes are only starting to get leaves. It was so thick I could not tell what was what. I now have a fairly clean arbor for the grapes.

I will do some online research on how to care for the grapes and if I find anything useful, I will link it here.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Funny, one of mine is doing GREAT already. That would be the cheap one I got at HD. We paid big bucks for one mail order, and I think it's dead. Oh well, cant win I guess. Started working on my trellis. I got two fence posts in, and will be stringing wire between them when they are big enough to reach it.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Well Ed!! Where do we stand with those grapes??? We gonna have wine this year???

See Jody, i can follow up on the members too!!!:furious: :furious:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Been fairly damp here this season. I have a concord and white grape vine in our orchard. They are about 4 years old.They are not doing that well this year. It is still kinda early to tell.

·
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all, Those grapes vines are growing like crazy. All I have done is pull all the weeds away from them and mulched around the bases of them. Will post some pics soon.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
So far most of my grape vines are doing fine. Vines are planted in a sandy loam, with good drainage, and in about 6 to 8 hours of sun. I have a lot of bunches of grapes about the size of marbles already forming on the Thompson Seedless (white) grapes. However the Concord grapes have yet to develope any clusters. TRhe concord vines are about 1 1/2 years older than the Thompson so it makes me wonder, unless the Thompson type is quicker at maturing sufficiently to produce grapes. All I have done so far is keep em watered (drip irrigation) applied cypress shredded bark mulch in the arbor region and apply 18-18-18 with Zinc fertilizer in early spring this year and also a later application of general purpose plant slow release fertilizer under the mulch.

It appears to me that Concords produce their fruit on old wood and the thompson variety seems to produce theirs on new wood....but I won't swear to that!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts