Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your tractor that is!

I have had my 4410 a week so far, little over. It has 17 hours and just had it's first bath. I wont be able to use the tractor this week as we have a lot planned. I bathed it and once dry, will grease and lube everything for the weeks storage.

How often do you all bathe your tractors? Do you do it by hand or pressure washer?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Well I musts b suffering from lack of rain and too high of temps, but today I actually washed, and waxed my JD GX335. Second time its been washed since I have got it back last September or so. Its gotten rained on earleir on in the year though if that counts.
It looks like new again. I am not particularly fond of the textured vynil seat material as it holds and shows dirt really easy, and it has to be scrubbed with a brush to get it out. Prefer the smoother texture like on the old JD seats, and in my honest opinion, whle yellow may look good at least form JD's point of view, it sucks big time when it comes to being on a seat. Black would have been the best color to use for a tractor seat. I even noticed that the blue from a well worn pair of blue jeans also gets on the yellow seat and is a bear to get off.....Give me a black tractor seat anyday.

My Ford 1720 probably has not been washed in over 3 or 4 years, other than just giving it a spray with a hose if I get it full of mud, but not a real wash job per se.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
every 2-3 weeks ill hand wash my tractor.

i used a pw on the deck... its a little to strong so ill hand wash the tracor & pw the deck

wax: every 5-6 weeks

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
if l ever get my deere repainted l will keep it was a show tractor so like john wax and wash every other week but for now it just gets PW after a cut grass but l don't PW the hood

·
Registered
126 Posts
In dry weather I use a gas leaf blower to blow off dust and dirt and only PW it as needed. In wet times I use the PW anytime it gets filthy enough that I can't stand it. My philosophy is that water exposure is not a good thing for all the greased and unsealed pivot points so I try to minimize that. I have never waxed it and never will. It's a TRACTOR not a show car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
washing

Weekly unless I dont use the tractor ( not often that I do not use for a week )

i pressure wash everything / is that not a good idea ?
i only have a 1600 psi washer so its not overly powerfull

I like it all tidy when greasing / hooking up stuff etc

winds up keeping the clothes cleaner

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Welcome aboard texastomtom! :friends:

I think the main thing about using water is to get everything dried back out as quickly as possible so as not to start rust and corrosion.

I use mainly compressed air after each mowing on my Deere LT150. Does a good job on dust and grass. Wont do much for mud though. ;)

Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was talking about the 4720 mostly.

Actually I dont wash my lt166 as often as it doesn't tend to get muddy etc.

Where I use the tractor tends to have some mud involved and in the process of washing the tires/wheels and lower portions of the tractor everything gets a little wet so i just wash it all down while I'm at it.

As it getts older I"ll probably be less diligent keeping it clean. ( or maybe not )

I wonder if there are any particularly sensitive area's on the tractor other than the gauge area that I should watch out for.

Is it possible to damange the grease zert areas / like on the steering linkage. I'd hate to blow water up inside the grease pockets so I have been trying to be carefull there.....

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Its best to always re lube the machine after any washing. That way it pushes any water that may have seeped into the various points out, and replaces it with grease. When I wash my equipment, I do not give any particular part of it any real concern in regards to it getting wet, and have yet to have a problem in all these years, but I certainly do not overdo the water in some areas either, just a light quick spray, (up under dash panel, etc etc)

Compressed air on the other hand can be harmfull just the same. Its a given no no to use compressed air to blow off machine tools, as compressed air is capable of blowing dirt and grime under seals and into areas it normally would not get into, and cause premature wear of seals and parts, so if you use compressed air keep it away from seals etc, and make sure its reduced in pressure not the full usual 100 psi force.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Good point on blowing the dirt into the seals Chip! I have a 4 foot extension wand and hold it 8 to 10" or so back from the area I'm cleaning. My small compressor drops to about 60psi while using the gun. Even with the extension, safety glasses are in order. I use the air mainly for the cooling fans and fins on the tranny and engine. Being an electronic tech by trade, I just can't bear to put water anywhere near electrical connections. I've repaired many green and white powder covered connections, some with the wires corroded in two pieces, even ones that were supposed to be weather tight, just from being in a high humidity environment or a onetime exposure to water. I also use the air after a water cleaning to clear any standing water pockets.

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.