Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw that someones(Jody) DSL is down and they are back on dialup.
Me I have adelphia Cable modem mixed in with my cable TV. its pretty damned fast and pretty stable.. but man its expensive. My bill yesterday was 117.40$ per month. That includes HBO and showtime and regular cable
I like the cable modem, as i have it plugged into a linksys router so any of the pcs on my network have internet access.

We also have a dialup; RCN 21$ per month, but my company pays for that one.

What do you have?
how much do you pay?
Are you happy with it?

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I have dial up internet access service. I pay $21 a month. I am out in the country and they are about the only game in town so I go with them. I still get about 50K which is not bad.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
SBC DSL for $29 a month. We can't get cable where we live "in the country". DSL is fast enough for me right now and so far has been real reliable.:cpu:

·
Registered
40 Posts
ISP cost

Have COMCAST and total bill for cable TV,HBO, and internet access is about $106. /month. Expensive but really fast. Herb

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Up here in the Norhtern sticks we have but a couple of choices. Because of our remote rural location and the condition of the phone lines, our connection speed is horrendous. 28,800 at best and that's on a good day. I've opted to go with Netzero which is a hispeed dial up provider, primarily because they have a local number. I don't claim to know what technology they are using, but it seems faster and it only costs $14.95 per month versus the $19.95 per month I was paying.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Oh, one more thing, I have a DirecWay two-way satellite that was used for 3 months and has no issues. Basically, since it is Satellite, you just need a clear line of site and you will get 128K up and 384K down. I used it while I was in between houses and I don't need it anymore. I have been planning on putting it up on eBay, but been lazy. They are going for over $200 plus shipping on a regular basis on eBay.

Sat Dish,
2 Sat modems, (one for up and one for down)
Instruction manual

PM me with an offer if you are interested.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have Alltel DSL @ $35/month. I was paying $23 for a phone line and $22 for dial-up service. We have digital cable available also, but I be darned if I am going to give the cable company another dollar. They raise rates quicker then politicians raise taxes. It is sickening what they are already charging me for basic service.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
I use Prolog dial up and pay $19.95 a month. When I first signed up it was the ONLY service with a local number. Usually runs at between 40 and 45k. I'm reasonably happy with it. Someone in my house is on the 'net at least 6 to 8 hours a day. Wife likes to get news from home in the Philippines, daughter does research for homework and I hang out in places like this.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Originally posted by bontai Joe
Wife likes to get news from home in the Philippines, daughter does research for homework and I hang out in places like this.
Sound like my place as I am on a dial-up and my wife is from the Philippines also. We are generally only on for about 3 to 4 hours daily with similar surfing habits. No kids in the home anymore just the grandkids at this time of year and so I have been quite often banished to Disneyland until after the 1st and then the home is Disney free.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I pay $25/mo (CDN) for unlimited access dial-up from our phone co. It is a local # and I often leave the pc downloading while I'm in bed sleeping. I figure I pay the extra for unlimited, I may as well use it!!
I don't have hi-speed availlable yet, but I'm hoping!:sleep:

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I'm using SBC dialup at $21.95/ month. I live about 2 mile from the DSL cutoff yet inside the city limits, go figure. My best connect is 28K, something to do with the outdated switching station 2 miles away they say. I do have cable available. I think when my Direct TV dies, I'll change to cable for both the tv and internet.

Mark

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I use Charter for my home PC. For my laptop, I have Sprint Wireless. THe Charter is about $20/month and the Sprint is paid for by my work (I think it is $99/month) Both are equally fast and work great.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Adelphia

Is the cable service I use. It costs me $113.00 a month with a full TV package,including HDTV channels.I had direct TV,it did was not any cheaper if you went for the full monty.Now my wife can still watch the boob tube in a snowstorm,and my internet connection is faster then I am.Only complaint I have is we can not get RFDtv or the Chicago station that shows the cubs games.They tell me that they are looking into it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have SBC DSL service for $49.95 per month which appears to be more than what others are paying for the same service. I think I may check into that and see if that $29.95 is only for new customers which I think it is. It comes with SBC Yahoo internet service which is also an issue with any broadband service - the internet provider. Internet mail versus Pop Mail is another issue. The former is better which is what SBC Yahoo provides now compared with the Prodigy Pop Mail service that was offered when I first subscribed. I live within 7,000 feet of the Central Office so my speed is very good but not as fast as come of the cable modem services now offered.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I'm pretty much stuck with Dialup. Up until the last few weeks my connect speeds were either 52,000 or 53,333 which isn't so bad for Dialup. For the last several years it's worked pretty well, however lately it won't work all the time (lots). It died in it's tracks yesterday and I called them. I may as well have been talking to a hedge post. I suspect the ISP has a DNS Cache problem or a bad modem bank but they won't own up to it. I pay $20 plus tax a month (unlimited service) and told them if they can't get it so I can use it I'll let them go. Several neighbors have already dropped them this week. I'm to far out for DSL and Cable is MUCH to expensive here. I do have alternate Dialup available.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts