Tractor Forum banner
61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Just finished watetproofung now ...dam done ... the dark crept in and now a storm is brewing ... hopefully it passes over ... instructions said ..keep wet ...wonder how wet is wet before things turn to mush? Take some better pics in the morn ...
IMG-20180316-WA0004.jpeg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Also toying with the idea of adding a centrifugal brake ...we get some harsh winds here and i dont need the thing commiting hari kiri on itself ...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
Just aftr that last post ... the heavens opened up ...man ...last time i get advice from a weatherman ... and if u a weatherman ... bob ..ur job is a sham !!
IMG-20180316-WA0018.jpeg
IMG-20180316-WA0015.jpeg

Looks like ill be doing a few general repairs in the morn ....luckily not too bad

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
And no ..last i saw of the skies it was pretty much clear ... and yes i did read the weather report ...this happen almost 2 hrs after dark ...and no i didnt have anything to cover it with ...just incase theres a bright spark about to make a revolutionary suggestion!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Nope not yet ... didnt even go look at it this morn ... spent 6 hrs on the compost heap ... ill have a look tomorrow ... hows this for 1 weeks compost ?? Got it standing 1m high about a meter and a half wide and 5 meters long ... must be a couple of cube in there ... got 2 garden services starting to drop off daily now and a livery supplying about a ton of crap on a weekly basis ... need to get my soil conditioned and i estimated i need 53 cube to do it ... need to make an attachment later for the tractor to help with that!
IMG-20180317-WA0000.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Secondly ..got stuck into the trash pile again and found an asortment to start the windpump with ... the bottom half ...the pump bit ...got that completed ...heres what i did ... View attachment 37377
Found some old brass check valves i used for my well ... found some old galavanised pipe that was the exact size ... so out side ppipe done ... the inside pipe i purchase some 32mm pvc .. with a nipple and a rubber effort .. cost about 300 bucks or about $30 ... so the pump bit is complete ...
Don't want to be a killjoy old mate!!, but your piston seal will not last 5 minutes and wont be strong enough to lift the water up the delivery pipe, I have attached a drawing of the type of pump we used here in Oz, you will see the lift piston has a clack valve in the piston itself so when the piston goes down on the down stroke, the clack valve lifts and the water then flows above the piston and when the lift starts, the valve closes and the water is then lifted up the delivery pipe and out to the receptacle.

And I don't want to be a critic for your endeavours, (I used to be like you when I was younger, try and make something out of nothing) but maybe you should have chased around and seen
images.jpg
if you could have picked up the pumping section of an old windmill, I am sure there would have been many of these pumps around in your country.

Tell me in straight English, what actually is your tiller kill switch actually doing ?, it is a bit hard to work out what the problem is, one of your comments was "it seems to run on" or words to that effect, I mentioned using a on/off toggle switch, so what did you use ??, if you used a toggle switch, the kill wire would go to one pole on the switch and an earth wire from the other pole to an earth on the engine, so simple mate.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)
Fred ...yea no prob ..thanks for the info ..but already thought about the pump problem ... u right!!! Busy working on it ....

Yip i could go buy one ...but whats the fun in that? Why plant veg ???one could just go buy it .... I like the challange ! To be able to stand back and say "yip...i built that !" ... it means something ... its the puzzles that keep my mind occupied ... what else what else would i be doing ?? Sitting in a pub getting wasted ... shouting profanity at the telly cause the ref made a bum call !!! ...

Ps im not young ... i know my age on here says 19 .. im more like 48 ...

Ps tiller switch sorted ... was just grounding itself ... wire got traped and got squished under a bolt ! ... see my next post!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
Ok today got stuck into the tiller today being sunday and all .... got the kill switch working as i stated above ... then discovered a new prob ... it was over reving ... took another 2hrs to find that problem ... pin on the governer shaft slipped off ... put it back and it was purring ...so found the hardest piece of ground could find ... just outside my garage door ... and set about testing .... had to re-adjust the pulleys a few times on the sides leading to the bottom shaft ... kept slipping ... but 4 extra washers later ... it was plain sailing ... went in about 6 inches without a snag!
IMG-20180318-WA0000.jpeg
IMG-20180318-WA0002.jpeg

My tines arent spinning fast enough ... the motor doesnt get out of idle nor does the governer pick up the revs when i "dig in" ... so gonna install a throttle now ... nothing fancy ... but i recon more power wont hurt!

Update ... replace the crappy plastic idle screw with a longer one ...short term silution i know ..heres a pic ... well it will be somwhere on the post !
20180318_154843.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 · (Edited)
Lastly ... got to thinking late last night ... my compost needs air .... Oxygen more precisely ...for the anerobic microbes to do their thing ... and i sure as hell am to lazy to turn the pile every two days ... so went out and scavanged my pile again ...found some old hdpe pipe and started making these ...this is what i came up with ... and hours work ... made a 100 or so!
20180318_150912.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
And then the coil burnt out on the tractor ..... what can i say .... atleast i got about 30mins of work done before she lost power ... assuming its the coil ... saw some sparks in the general region ... test it for resistence in the morn ...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 · (Edited)
Update .... yip ...will have to check that out later but the coil is shot now ...so dont have time to loose ...got one of the local farmers to come and plough for me ... onions need to be transplanted soon...but its been raining for 3 days now ... thinking i may invest in an ark! ... Fred ... that flimsy seal ... heres my solution ...
20180322_211527.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Ok... back to the wind pump ..put in a few hours last night and some more tonight .. did the 2 shaftes needed ... just slotted some bearings into some square tubing and used some 12mm threaded bar ... hope its gonna be strong enough .. using wood for the vains ... just to try it out .. bolting them into a plate so i can replace them later ...plate can be removed as well ..
IMG-20180322-WA0012.jpeg
IMG-20180322-WA0014.jpeg
20180322_211350.jpg
20180322_211410.jpg
here a few pics ... ull see how it goes together later ... vains are 1.4 meters diameter ...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
2 shaftes ... one has an arm for the "piston arm" (dont know what people call these components) ...the other attached to the vains .... they still have to be incorprated with in a frame work .... gearing is about 3:1 ... and the stroke of the pump about 100mm ...4 inches
IMG-20180322-WA0016.jpeg
20180322_210656.jpg
IMG-20180322-WA0002.jpeg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
For those of u planting seedlings ...came up with a novice way to plant ... instead of those expensive little seedling tray which are frankly a waste of time and only last a season or 2 ... i found some old 50mm ldpe pipe on the side of the road ... i cut them in sections of 60mm and made 800 units ... theyll last forever ... and to get the seedling out ... just push it out with ur thumb from the bottom !!! Already tried it out ...works like a bomb!
20180322_213917.jpg
IMG-20180319-WA0005.jpeg

Ps u need to form a "plug" at the bottom..less than an inch .. so i compacted it with a piece of broom stick. Already have an idea to make an automatic planter using this method ... very similiar to those expanded paper jobs the chinese came out with that feed out the trolley option ... have no idea what the name is ... but for those who know what im talking about ...you'll get the wiff!!

AND PS ... ANY SPELLING ERRORS OR SUCH ...IM USING MY PHONE AND THE BUTTONS ARE SO SMALL ... ITS LIKE TRYING TO CHANGE CHANNELS ON UR REMOTE USING A 6X6 ...

61 - 80 of 99 Posts