Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious to find out how many active users here are retired or in part retired? Just curious. :D

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I retired from the Army after 21 years of service. I am working out some medical issues and hopefully taking a breather before starting another life and career.

·
Registered
361 Posts
turtle I retired in 1993 :night: and dont miss the Bosses at all. I retired early but unlike most I was never without a job for more than 1-week since I was 8-years old.:night:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I retired from Case IH in August of 2002. I worked at the same plant for 31 years. Started out as International Harvester and when Case bought IH we became Case IH. On a sad note, the plant will be closing down, after nearly 70 years, in July of this year and operations will be moving to Grand Island, Nebraska. It is now Case/New Holland and hundreds will be losing their jobs here in the Quad Cities. Bill

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
retired

Is that when I get tired for the second time in the same day?Been a drone for the State of New York for 22 years,I have 3 left to collect my pension.When I leave state service I have no intentions of retiring. I will be a young man of 55 and I have to stay busy or I get into trouble.My plans include building my dream home on my farm in the foothills and expanding my site prep business . As I go along my sons are taking more interest in what I am doing,they figured out that dad pays well.After all I started this business about 3 years ago ,figureing it would take 5 years to get it up and flying,boy was I wrong. I am so busy that there is no way to find trouble.This year it did not even slow down until after christmas.Lining work up for spring,and I have snow removal to keep me going.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Right now i'm at home quite a bit. I haul expedited freight and usually Jan. and Feb. are the slowest months. It is a 24ft box truck. My hours can get weird tho. Friday night i made several trips from a supplier to Truck and Bus in Dayton. It was all so super hot they told me...so i get down to truck and bus ... they had a major breakdown and sent everybody home. They sent me to truck and bus in Ft. Wayne before telling me the plant was shut down waiting on my parts and to get there as fast as i can. I get there and not only is the plant not shut down , but they tell me they don't even need my parts. That stuff happens quite a bit.I have been going to Cleveland 2 or 3 times a week lately delivering labels to Nestles. Most of my trips are local where i can get there and back in my 11 hours of driving. It sure beats construction that i did for 19 years before this. I have a heater in the winter and air conditioning in the summer.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Do you have to have a CDL for that Durwood? I have thought about trying my hand at "hotshotting" with my Dodge Cummins but did not think it was very good idea not knowing much if anything about that line of work.

·
Registered
674 Posts
My truck is under CDL. Most loads are 8000lbs and under,so i don't miss many loads because of weight. What we usually do is get enough product there to hold them until the semi gets there. I can haul about 9500lbs and our Cdl trucks can haul between 12000 and 13000.
The thing about expediting is if you are making money,then you don't have a life or if you have a life ,then you aren't making money. It's not a job that everyone can do, but after construction ,i find it is easy. I don't have a sleeper so i don't stay out on the road a week at a time. Usually overnight is about how long i'm out at one time. With the new log book laws hurting trucking in general, i believe it will help the expediting industry.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I can post from just about anywhere in the US, Canada and Mexico. At least anywhere I want to go in those countries.

I am no where near retirement. At 31, I have a ways.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I retired from my first job in 1994 (22 years in the United States Air Force as an aircraft mechanic). I'm 52 now and working full time for a sheet metal fabricator for the aerospce industry. I don't plan on retiring from that job until I'm ready to meet my maker (unless I can get paid for recreational bass fishing).

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
I don't think we'll ever retire. I would like to get to a point where me and the bride could both get part time jobs and be able to spend more time out in the garden and doing landscaping around the place. I'd like to have time to do more field work. I'd like to start a herd of Dexters that could someday help with retirement.

·
Registered
977 Posts
at 32 no real plans for retirement with farming and having my own business so i set my own hours. its not really like work because i enjoy what i do. likely will quit farming 1 day when i can't get in the tractor anymore in 50 or 60 years

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I'm 37 and would like to retire. Or at least get a job that does not deal with the public. :tellyou:

Does that count?

Mark

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
I retired last September. I am focusing on landscape work on our property for now, gardening and then work inside the house. After that, I think I'll be ready for my "next career".

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I retired about 1 and a half years ago after making the U S Army and the USAF a career of 31 years 10 months . Bout 7 years in the Army and the balance in the USAF. Had a small break inbetween the two services where I worked in the civilian world.
No intentions of finding another job anymore. Its time for me to do my thing, besides jobs find me and I don't have to leave the house to do them anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Chip

Idle hands are the devil's workshop.You remind me of myself,can't see you sitting round watching Oprah. It has been my experience that if you are a busy guy,work finds you.In the summer I get so much going I don't know weather to wind my ass or scratch my watch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts