Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Browse

Votes: 3 15.8%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious as to how many of us actually use E-bay.

I have been buying and selling for 4 years now. I have been burned once on a high dollar item but I was as much to blame.

I have bought cars, motorcycles, household items, junk and a multitude of other items.

·
Registered
131 Posts
E-Bay Buyer

I have purchased approximately 75 items over a three year period on e-bay. The dollar value ranged from a few dollars to $300. I always pay via money order, being somewhat leery of PayPal (just me). I would be nervous buying anything of a high dollar value unless it was local and I could buy COD. Been too lazy to do any selling yet.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Same here i have bought over 85 items most was $350. And i was very nervous about it. But i have never had a problem with anyone i bought from.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
About 10 items in 6 years or so. Nothing over $25. Always had good transactions. Need to look into selling some junk. Is there anything in particular one should know about selling?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there anything in particular one should know about selling?
Be as truthfull and descriptive as possible. Take good high quality pictures and your set.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I use it to find parts for my bolens 1050's. I usually deal with the same people over and over and have made some friends along the way.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hi
I have bought and sold about 40 items on ebay. Highest buy was $12,500 but that was local so I went to inspect it before buying it through ebay. My highest sell was $1,700. Most of the items were from $100 to $400. If the seller does not have a good feedback history or is new I stay away.
Nothing is perfect but all in all it is a good way to buy and sell.
I deal in money orders only.
Rodster

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've bought and sold on ebay. Paid money order, credit card, paypal. Sold using internet banking, back when I could. Now I would use pay by email for an in-canada deal. Would have to go back to the old technology for a US deal, I suppose.

My experience has been great.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I bought my Bolens 1250, John Deere 300 and Bolens HT-23 on
eBay, also the 46" snowblower and Sim's cab for the GT5000.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I usually use eBay to buy parts for old computers (laptops mostly). I do shop around for other stuff occasionally. When we finally build our new house we're planning to do a "Clean Sweep"-style move and I'll probably be unloading a bunch of stuff then.

Angel

·
Registered
151 Posts
I buy and just started to sell this year. Use to use money orders, but signed up for PayPal early this year. I've heard horror stories about PayPal, so I opened a separate checking account at a different bank for the PayPal account. I figured this way, if anything should happen where it would get frozen or something unthinkable, I would still be able to pay my bills. I only keep the minimum balance in that account.

Most of what I buy are the John Deere Precision Series tractors, although I have purchased some Deere tractor parts and hit miss engine parts along with some minor things.

The highest bid I ever put in was $1500 for a set of rear round spoke rims for a John Deere B. Ended up losing out on that one :cry: :argh: I believe the largest amount I paid was somewhere around $300 +- .

Only had one bad experience with a buyer. He bought a flywheel for a IH LA engine. After receiving it, he wasn't happy because of heavy rust on the back of it and the non-orginal handle. I gave him a partial refund and both went away happy and I still made money. :D

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I have bought and sold on ebay. Buying mostly car parts, and have sold a bit of bike parts. Real good place to shop for that hard to find, no one else has part. [ Where else would you find a set of NOS front bumper gaurds for a 1972 LTD?]

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Well I have spent a small fortune on items on Ebay, mostly dealing with machine type tooling etc, and also sold quite a bit..........but now just mainly browse it every now and then since I had three big problems with ebay in general, which was IMHO their software or configuration fault that screwed me up and caused us to come to big time blows and threats.

On one circumstance someone bought some XXX rated paraphanalea and somehow it got posted to my account as being the buyer of it when they left feedback. There it was up there in black and white giving me feedback on an item I had nothing to do with.......Numerous contacts with ebay, and they said to remove the feedback I had to take it up through Square Trade (also owned by Ebay) so after dealing with them I find my credit card charged for $20.00 and a note stating they removed the improperly posted feedback on my account and charged "ME" $20 bucks for correcting their screwups which should not have been able to happen.

I later sold a bunch of items, and the total I owed them came up to somewhere around $90.xx bucks. I had a valid credit card on file (have to to be able to sell) and got in my statement it was charged for that amount. Later on (about 2 months later)I get notice from ebay I owe them over $190 some bucks on fees for my selling the items.............nope no way.........one fee was for the original 90 bucks and another 100 and some dollar fee for some additional commisions I supposedly owed, but checking on the items I supposedly sold they sure as heck were not my items. Ebay once again told me to take it up through square trade and pay a fee to have it straightened out, or supply a valid credit card number and pay what they say I owe. After the first initial fiasco with Square trade Ebay and paying for their fee to remove my mistake and also paying my original commision fee to Ebay, my credit card expired. I never renened my credit card info with expiration info as I decided to stop dealing with ebay totally as a seller, so no need to update my credit card info and also then there was no way they could arbitraily charge my card for dealing with Square trade.

So they threatened me and threatened me, and told me it was up to me to prove I did not owe and to go through Square Trade to do it, as no other way was acceptable..........so needless to say I did not pay what they said I owed them, (Which I certaily did not owe) and they booted me as a Ebay member.....No big deal the wife has an account, and I use it. Only thing that really bothered me was I had over 300 Posaitive feedbacks to my credit when this fiasco erupted with Ebay. But hell feedback don;t mean a thing to anyone but another ebayer anyhow.

I look and buy rarely anymore and the wife does the same. Absolutely NO selling.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
never bought tractor parts on ebay but have bought and sold stuff there lots of times.. got burnt on a movado watch that rusted up...

but that was my only bad experience..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts