Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tractor sheet metal stylings have been following the auto stylings for some time with the rounded corners and softer edges. But I've noticed recently, they seem to be getting more extreme with the bulbous cowlings and curved headlights.

The new Deere 4020 series is not too bad, although I haven't seen one in person. I still like the 4010 series better. The New Hollands are over the top IMO. I'm sure they offer a better sightline to the ground, but too me it is to "aero" looking for a tractor.

Now I'm all for manufacturers taking chances with dramatic or daring styling. The Viper, Ford GT, Plymouth Prowler, PT Cruiser, Chevy SSR, and Chrysler 300 were great statements in comparison to to all the cookie cutter jellybean shapes. But on a tractor, I still like the squarish clean lines of past years. Same goes for Garden & Lawn tractors.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
I tend to prefer the more square shapes for tractors and utility vehicles. Streamline designs are not really new though. Look at cars, locomotives and appliances from the 50's and 60's for example. Back to tractors, the Oliver tractors of that time were probably considered a little over the top by some. It seems like while most manufacturers follow the current fads, there is generally at least one that stays with a more conservative look for the people who prefer it.

Mark
 

·
EX Super Mod
Joined
·
5,317 Posts
Come on now ya ll don't like the new Bug eyed look:furious:

<img src=http://www.tractorforum.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=154>
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,693 Posts
Ya those new murry's are REAL over the top style wise. I can hear them now....." Hey theres still a nice flowing area on that hood, lets add a stupid bulge to it"


I am a big fan of the "tractor styled" GT's. One of the reasons I like the Ingersolls. They look like a tractor should look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
The change to vertically oriented headlights makes sense since it seems they would have a better chance of supplying light regardless of loader bucket position. The sloping hoods are functional as well, giving better visibility. I could live without the swoopy vents and odd bulges though. The new JD 20 series don't look bad but I have a tough time looking at the new NH machines without laughing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
Originally posted by GreenMtnMan
I could live without the swoopy vents and odd bulges though. The new JD 20 series don't look bad but I have a tough time looking at the new NH machines without laughing.
GM Man, I used to think that way until a month ago. We tested and worked a Nh TC55D 4x4. I could not tell you price, hp or any other specifics except with the fel and bb in the rear that look out over the hood is almost scary. You look into the bucket almost as if you were on a loader. and you dcan see the cutting edge either side. It made site clean up much easier thah with our Masseys w/fels. Now only if massey will get in line with that kind of thinking, I, would be happy. All in all this tractor is a serious contender for spot on our sites if I can get them in red:furious: :furious:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
978 Posts
If you like bubblegum styling, So be it, Its just so car like and afterall its a tractor that will never get to speed to use the styling. But if works on getting the front smaller (withoutloss of cooling then I am for it, If it makes FEL working better, Guess I'll just keep my old Kubota.
 

·
Tractor Lover
Joined
·
4,461 Posts
The New Hollands are designed with a purpose for function first and form second....Ernieg is right about the sight line when sitting in the seat, you can look right at the cutting edge of the bucket...I have a FordNH 1715 which is the old style...I have to feel for my cutting edge because I sure as hell can't see it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
Originally posted by Michael
If you like bubblegum styling, So be it, Its just so car like and afterall its a tractor that will never get to speed to use the styling. But if works on getting the front smaller (withoutloss of cooling then I am for it, If it makes FEL working better, Guess I'll just keep my old Kubota.
I, probably should just bite my tounge and consider you are joking, I agreed with you on the looks, but the overall ppurpose of my response was to the total view whether you use a fel, box blade, bush hog, plow or what ever you have function derived from form = a view that few other tractors,whether farm or ind. can make claim to inthis size class.. Possibly you play with your toys which is fine, I happen to play also but for a living and any time that a piece of equipment allows me to do better and in less time just kinda impresses me is all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
I want chrome wheels
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
978 Posts
Originally posted by Ernieg
I, probably should just bite my tounge and consider you are joking, I agreed with you on the looks, but the overall ppurpose of my response was to the total view whether you use a fel, box blade, bush hog, plow or what ever you have function derived from form = a view that few other tractors,whether farm or ind. can make claim to inthis size class.. Possibly you play with your toys which is fine, I happen to play also but for a living and any time that a piece of equipment allows me to do better and in less time just kinda impresses me is all.
I was trying to be tonque-in-cheek, I do not play with my toys, There is just a lot work involved geting evrything to my standards and I have not the money a professional does for the toys. I have to settle on what I can afford and what I can afford is cheaper and alot older. I still think the sytling is ugly. But if it improves the sight lines I am all for it. The old Kubota has been a faithful companion this summer since I found it with all the equipment that I required to do my yard. Sometimes folks try to be funny and it deos not come across in print.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
fergie

im a fergie fan need a say anymore tractors dont look cute no more:stgeorge: this sites got amazin thingy ma jigs lol<<
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
Women should have curves, tractors shouldn't and are not Women no matter how much one loves them!!!
Dean
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top