Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how yur birds are doing? Should be fully feathered out by now, and possible to tell the boys from the girls?

My latest hatch of chickens are all doing fine. I am letting them free range since I have finished with whatever I wanted out of the garden, they all seem to like being able to rumage through it.

At present I am free of all guinea fowl, and down to my last 1 mallard drake duck, and a trio of Brown Cinese geese. No more guineas or water fowl for me EVER! They were ok, before and lots of fun, but they make a real mess especially when yur trying to keep your place all neat. Been trying to sell this last trio of gese for sometime now, but no takers.........and I don;t feel like having to make cages for them just to take em to the auction to sell.

So in the end all I am gong to have is about a dozen peafowl, and perhaps 50 or 60 chickens. The poultry end has cut into too much of my free time, so its gonna be mainly enough chickens to get eggs from and sell, and my goats, which for the most art are pretty well self sufficient, in the months that have vegetation growing at least, which is about 10 out of 12 months in this area.

At one time I was able to sell every chick I hatched and could not keep enough young birds around. Now its a different ballk game. Guess the newer generation of folks don;t like being tied down to chickens etc. like the older ones did.

The peafowl sales were great and I sold every egg or chick I had. Seems like the newer gen of folks like to have a showy bird walking around their property instead of a lowly chicken;) So next year I should have another trio of white peafowl on board laying eggs. The interest in white peafowl has pretty high, as the white ones are extremely showy, and not as common as the blues are.

As for my egg sales I sell just about every egg I get to a lady every week that makes and sells home made breads and cakes etc. She says her compliments on her baked goods have been super since she started to use fresh eggs. Her biggest problem is keeping her husband out of her stash of eggs, as he found out fresh eggs taste a lot better than stale store bought eggs do.

Couple of more months and you will be able to sample the fruits of your labors with some fresh yard eggs, and you'll be hooked!

·
674 Posts
Well the chickens are doing fine. I now have ten total, of which two are for sure roos. The little striped chick turned out to be a RIR roo and is a handsome bird and I also have a austrolorp roo that is a good looking bird.
I lost two out of the brooder due to a stray cat that got into the seller. but ten is more than enough for me. These pics are abit old and the flock is really putting on weight now. I will thin it out soon and fill my belly in the process!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts