Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There were all sorts of debates on the L Series Tractors.....
Now that they are a year old how are they holding up?

Problems? Likes? Dislikes?

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Not been a year yet... but come end of spring I will have had my 130 for a year. No problems. Been a great mower. Glad I bought it.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by tisenberg
Not been a year yet... but come end of spring I will have had my 130 for a year. No problems. Been a great mower. Glad I bought it.
So you mean all those bad, horrific thing that all the GW guys said would happan, are not??????

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Hows the deck

Originally posted by tisenberg

The deck hasn't fell off ? They all said that one deck hanger wouldn't last long before it broke. I always said they was a good LT for the money.
Jody

·
Registered
97 Posts
I thought they were disposable, so I put it in the dumpster.... oops...

Just kidding, I haven't bought one yet, but I might next spring.

-Deere

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Just ask the Scotts owners how there doing and you can get a idea how the L series will do because there basically the same thing just prettier.The Scotts was the big topic last year at this same time.But you just do not here about them now that the L series blew in.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I figure to give the tale of 2 lawn tractors.
1. Craftsman model 917.270771 1st year 1 engine, 2 front axles,2 deck hangers (looked like treaded rod), 2 sets of cheap a$$ blades, 1st set were not strong at all ran tractor for 15 minutes in the front yard and one blade bent and torn up my new front yard, My 98 pound Filipina wife could bend the blade straight. Total use for the first year 83 hours. One month and 4 days sitting at the Sears service center. Purchased March of 1999
2. L-120 no warranty repairs except for a broken rib nut on hood and a sheared bolt for the right hand spindle (delivered that way from John Deere Total use for the first year 74 hours, John Deere dealer came to my home and replaced bolt on spindle on the spot and delivered and installed new hood the following day. Total time for John Deere repairs 2 and half hours.
Enough said I am highly satified for the excellent service I received from the 5 year tractor that was supposely made by John Deere. Purchased March 2003.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
No problems or broken parts on my 130. I have right at 50 hours on the meter and need to do the 50 hour service, with the holidays getting close I havn't had time. It is a mowing machine I have yet to hardly bog it down. I have mowed some grass that was almost as tall as the hood and it kept on mowing.

It would seem that I have less time on my machine than most everyone else.

How many hours do you have on your L series????

:hand: :beer: :merry:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by Michael
I figure to give the tale of 2 lawn tractors.
1. Craftsman model 917.270771 1st year 1 engine, 2 front axles,2 deck hangers (looked like treaded rod), 2 sets of cheap a$$ blades, 1st set were not strong at all ran tractor for 15 minutes in the front yard and one blade bent and torn up my new front yard, My 98 pound Filipina wife could bend the blade straight. Total use for the first year 83 hours. One month and 4 days sitting at the Sears service center. Purchased March of 1999
Blades just don't bend on their own. You must have hit something. I agree that Craftsman blades are lousy, but a good set of gators should solve that issue. I, as well as many others are surprised. Your machine must be the exception, not the rule. I had a cheap Craftsman for 5+ years before anything happened to it, but I really worked it year round. Kinda surprised by your situation.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Those L tractors are puny tractors that will offer nothing but puny results ---- HAHAHA :D -- Thought you might like that one more time, Tuba. ;)

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Your cracking me up Aundy. GW says it is a 5 year tractor.

All in all...

the trans will burn up (if it hasn't exploded already)
the frame will bend and crack since it is thin as paper
the spindels will fall off because they are glued on with Elmers Glue
the bushings will fail
the non-metal hood will warp

And I'll be so happy after the whole things explodes into tiny pieces that I will run to my nearest Deere dealer and buy something else because of the wonderful expierence that I had.

(I'm kidding in case it is not clear)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I found that the gator blades worked fantastic for mulching and general bagging. They are around $10-15/blade. In my opinion, they are a dramatic improvement over stock OE blades.

They are a much heavier steel than the craftsman premium blades and do not bend easily at all. I hit a stump with them this summer and it stripped my spindle assembly, but did no damage to the blade except a small ding on the cutting edge.

I got mine from Jack's small engines, but I have been hearing bad things lately about them. I have had no issues with them, but I hear others have had issues.

I can almost guarantee you will see a major difference and improvement with the cut rate. Some people say they are a band aid for people who don't mow often enough. Thats bull___ !! I mow very frequently and the lawn has never looked better.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
The orginal blades on my Craftsman had a problem. You could literally straighten and bend them by hand. Sears replaced everything under the glacier slow warranty work but I was never satified by the way they worked on resolving warranty work. A nieghbor of mine had a old STX38 John Deere and had a part break on his deck, the John Deere dealer had his replacement part in a day and the tractor back on the lawn in 2 days. This was on a tractor over ten years old. I was duly impressed by the fact that even a old tractor was repaired in short order and the fact that even in the busiest season the John Deere dealer here put Sears to shame on warranty and repair work. Parts are always available quickly.:cat:

·
674 Posts
Not to take sides on this but perhaps it is better to have a blade bend than a manderal shaft, and the dealer must of had the deck in stock to get it so quickly. The deere dealer by me takes two weeks to order a part and charges shipping.... all in all comparing deeres to craftsman is tough IMO. Deeres are marketed as premium machines even at HD (they sell mtds too) I think that Craftsman are not top of the line nor bottom either. They are marketed for folks who want decent quality at a low price. If money was not a object, I would not own a craftsman, or a bottom line deere....

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
When I went in to my dealer to get mulching blades for my L-130 they didn't have any on hand, and had to order them. They had them in my hot llittle hands two days later. I would be real scared to try and mow with blades you could bend with your hands. I hit the stray pine cone once and a while, I think that would break a blade like that!!! Could be a big ouch! :driving:

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
The owner of Jacks joined that thread on GW. Don't know if I would just never order from them again. He seemed pretty sincere. (sorry, not trying to hi-jack the thread). Start another thread if you want to discuss it further.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Since when is anything Sears sell low priced?? I guess in relation to Deeres they are low priced. Its all in what your used to.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts