Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I need another hose reel after the 2nd Ames hose reel in the last 2 years is busted again. I am tired of the cheap plastic pieces of junk and I do not want anymore plastic ones. The new one must be metal with ball bearings and NO PLASTIC. I saw a all metal construction one on the Home Depot website but at $89.00 and no way to touch and see it in person it might be the way go by ordering online. The 2 local Home Depot and next nothing Lowe's have no metal ones at all because they are getting set up for Christmas. You cannot get one at Sears, Target or Wally world as I already check. The local Ace Hardware had one but it was a display unit and the store manager could not (or did not want to let that one go) . So the ones with vast experience in the world of Hose reels whats out there.

Psst I really want one thats Green and Yellow but the local Deere dealer has one for $149.00.:D

I edited this right here to state the Reel will be staying outside winter and summer and needs to connected to the well all the time.

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Michael,

I gave up on reels and went to brackets that mount to a solid object...wall, post etc.. They are real cheap, hold up well and don't jam up. Spend the difference on a high quality, no-kink hose. Much better investment. IMO

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Originally posted by Michael
Ok I need another hose reel after the 2nd Ames hose reel in the last 2 years is busted again. I am tired of the cheap plastic pieces of junk and I do not want anymore plastic ones. The new one must be metal with ball bearings and NO PLASTIC. I saw a all metal construction one on the Home Depot website but at $89.00 and no way to touch and see it in person it might be the way go by ordering online. The 2 local Home Depot and next nothing Lowe's have no metal ones at all because they are getting set up for Christmas. You cannot get one at Sears, Target or Wally world as I already check. The local Ace Hardware had one but it was a display unit and the store manager could not (or did not want to let that one go) . So the ones with vast experience in the world of Hose reels whats out there.

Psst I really want one thats Green and Yellow but the local Deere dealer has one for $149.00.:D

I edited this right here to state the Reel will be staying outside winter and summer and needs to connected to the well all the time.
I fail to see the problem, Spend the $149.00 and be happy!! Nothing used to get my goat more when I owned my Store then to have someone say "Man that's just what I'm looking for but XYZ has one for $20.00 less", well go there and get it then, but they don't have any he'd say, Well when I don't have any, mine are 20$ less, so *******************

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 3/4 inch black rubber hose that is of the no kink design. 150 feet long and the lenth of it is just to much to put on those brackets, Plus the well head and faucet are 25 feet apart and next to my back sidewalk. So no real place to mount the brackets without tripping on the dang hose. Also there is the hassle of the hose laying on the ground. I just want something that winds up the hose and its set. I do not really mind taking time to rewind th e hose on the reel correctly and I did it all the time with the PLASTIC JUNK. It only took a extra minute to wind them up right from the start.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dean, I forgot to mention that it is on back order and won't be here for another 3-4 weeks at the Deere dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
My hose reels aree probably a bit overkill, but they certainly are ot gonna tear up any time soon.......no matter ho rough you are with them. Granted they may not have the fancy aesthetic looks that you may like to see attached to the side of a house, but mine are basically hidden from view and with the amount of hose they hold I have no problems reaching anywhere I usually need water.

They are salvaged fire hose reels, I picke dup in ther scrap yard years ago. Originally used to roll up the 1 1/2 lines IIRC, they will hold over 300 feet of 3/4" garden hose and still have room for more......All steel, and have a cast iron gooseneck fitting on the inside of the steel inner drum that is attached to a 1" pipe that serves as the spindle for the drum. On the end of the pipe is a typical banjo or hydraulic swivel fitting that allows the drum to turn etc etc....

Has a gear reduction on the handle for extremely fast hose windup, and a friction control so you can run with a hose and hot have the drumm keep freespooling when you stop. The friction control is adjustable to suit.

I give $5.00 each for them. They are used in commercial buildings, plants etc so its possible you may find some .

If your looking for a kink free hose, the Crapsman rubber hose certainly is not gonna fit that bill. Its a pretty darn good hose if you manage to get a good one though, but I have gone through a few and now I finally think I have one that may be a keeper, but it kinks very easy.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Do not leave your hose connected to the faucet during winter if you experience freezing temps. Because the hose prevents even the freeze proof faucet from properly draining, you can crack the faucet when the water inside expands as it freezes, causing a leak. I learned this the hard way.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Michael,

When my Ames died, I went looking for a metal unit. Never thought of Chip's idea of getting a surplus one, but i ended up with a YARDMAN unit.

I actually bought two, one wall mount and one mobile, so that I can disconnect the mobile, wheel it up to the wall mount, and connect them in series. Gives me a total of 250' and does everything I need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts