Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
working on a Honda GX240 8 HP log splitter engine.
installed new air filter & new carb. problem was not idleing
good. now idle works fine but high speed only runs smooth
with carb on half choke. adjusting carb works for a few minutes
& then governor keeps surging. problem must be in carb.
any suggestions ?

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
Howdy power48,

Welcome to the tractor forum.

I found two YouTube presentations regarding the surging problem. Do an internet search for the underlined subjects:

1) Honda Surge Video - YouTube - The presenter on this video adds a restraining spring to the governor to control surging.

2) How to fix a surging carburetor with Taryl - YouTube - Taryl points out that the Honda carburetor jets are actually fixed orifices. He claims that as an engine wears, it requires a bit more fuel to prevent surging. He drills out the orifices with very small bits to slightly increase fuel flow.

Both appear to be viable solutions.

3) I have a old Honda 11HP engine on a pressure washer that surges. I have been running it at half choke for years and it runs fine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Came across this forum and my six horse power pressure washer occasionally surges now I i know where to look when it does

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information. I ordered a drill
bit set from amazon. number drills 61 - 80.
we will see what happens. the weather channel
is predicting up to 18 inches of snow Tuesday night,
that will slow work outside.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like a honda. Honda carbs without exception do not tolerate sitting. It might be worth trying a heavy dose of the briggs and stratton fuel stabilizer. I know its a "preventative" measure originally, but, believe it or not ive seen it open up some carbs and smooth them out. Id run it 10 min or so on a dose mixed in your fuel tank and shut it down and let it lay in there for a few days. Do not run the carb dry. Just kill the motor. If that doesnt work and its annoying you like it would me, you likely will have to replace the carb.

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
All the Honda carbs I've come across,..including the GX series,have replaceable jets.
Don't know why this you tube fella thinks they aren't.
Update:
Thee WERE some China made for Honda with non-replaceable jets !
Be wary of them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Received drill bits. Drilled jet out with # 77 bit. It runs as good as ever now
with choke off.
Thanks for replys..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts