Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Homelite Vac-Attack blower last season, and have used it only for blowing off my two short driveways and our patio. Out of the box, the handle was loose. No big deal. Then I noticed at WOT, the carb linkage was only opening about 85-90%...I fixed that. Other than making your hand numb from vibration after 5 minutes or so, it seemed to work OK. Last time I used it, I blew the driveways off, then hit the LT- blowing the grass from around the deck spindles.

Yesterday, I went to start it, it fired and ran for about 5 seconds. I went to pull it again, and the rope came out about a foot before jerking back. I took the spark plug out to try and turn it over, but it will not turn over. Dunno what it is, but it's not good.

I went to garage, got the owners manual and reciept, called the number, and being near the capitol of Ohio, the nearest warranty center is 40 minutes away. It will be interesting to find out how well they back their product, as I will be sending it out wed or thurs. It's gonna suck without it though, as it was handy for clearing off the patio before we cookout or just relax.

Also, I am not sure at the moment what the exact ratio is, but out of my line trimmer and blower, the line trimmer requires the most oil. I mix at that ratio for both. And although it sounds crazy, I also use Honda HP2 oil, as I always have some on hand for Zenoah RC engines. A tankfull in the blower will last 3 weeks, so oil, and even gas at the current prices are not an issue.

Anyone else have a Vac-Attack blower, or any other Homie equipment you have had trouble with?

Again, I know you get what you pay for, but for $110, used probably 35 times, thats about $3 per use.

Greg

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I have a Homelite line trimmer and I am happy with it. Top of the line? No, but works good, and better then the cheap Chrasfman ones I used to have.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've had a Homelite blower for 8 years, starts quick and is actually very good quality wise. Very reliable product.

I also have a Homelite Gas Hedge Clipper set that is also pretty good as well as an older Chainsaw that just gets occasional use.

Overall, a good buy for the occasional user.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
when i first moved here (from renting in the city) with no tools or knowlege of them..

i bought an echo trimmer and blower..
i have to say.. 6 years later and as much use as any homeowner would use them for.. they have both been great.. have not had to do a thing to them.. except add gas
never winter treated them or serviced them at all...

now my husky chainsaw is another story.. but thats because i constantly get the blade stuck in a 'wrong falling tree' and bend the bar or break something.. but the echo products (purchased pre home depot sales) have been great..
not sure if echos quality dropped since selling at HD i would guess they would be pushed to keep prices lower..

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About 8-9 years ago, I had a Homelite line trimmer. I liked it OK, and it did the job. Maybe I just got a lemon I guess. I want to take it apart to find out what it is, but I guess I will find out soon enough.

Greg

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

First off, apologies. I thought this was the correct place to put this, but I now know it is for reviews. Thats a good idea, too to have a forum on just reviews.

Anyway, I did not want to send it out and wait on it, regardless of what was wrong. I took it apart to see what was up, knowing it would void the warranty. I could wind the rope back up, but it would only pull back out a few inches. From a past experience with a G-23 Zenoah, I thought the worst; a bearing exploding letting pieces of the bearing go up through the transfers and on top of the piston. All it seemed to be upon taking it apart was one of the "inertia clip" things on the flywheel had lost it's spring, therefore not letting the starter rope assembly to engage the flywheel.

Once I had the engine on the bench, I took the end cap off, then the carb, etc. I started looking for an excuse to keep the Homie for an RC boat engine. Once I messed with the recoil assembly and had it spring loose about 4 times, I threw it in the trash along with the plastic housing, tube, rope, etc..

By this time, Jane was missing the blower as well. I looked at a couple "big box store" websites, and found an Echo for a decent price. I swung by my local CC and JD dealer, even though he tried to stiff me on a Cub 1525 for $2299. He carries Stihl, and I found a Stihl BG55 for the same price as the Echo. He serviced it out right there, fired it up, explained everything in great detail, including the warranty (which would be fixed right there, not 40 minutes away), and I was off to Sunoco for some 89 octane.

I have only used it a couple times since Saturday, and I am not supposed to go WOT til after the 3rd tank or so, but even at 3/4 throttle, it performs as well as the Homelite did. It seems a little quieter, and not as raspy. The starter rope handle on the left side seems kinda awkward, but i'm used to the Homelite. The WOT interlock thing is alot more user friendly on the Stihl. They both seems very comparable in weight, but the Stihl does not make my hand numb after 10 minutes. I do like the handle of the Homie a little better, as it is thicker. I have big hands, but the better trigger makes up for it. Another small thing I like better on the Homie is the kill switch. On the Stihl, it is a clear rubber type thing over the switch, and it must be swithed to "OFF" On the Homie, you just press a spring loaded switch til it shuts off. The switch on the Stihl is obviously more resistant to the elements. As for the choke and starting, the Stihl has it hands down. Its up on top rather than down on the side, and the choke has two positions (on, off) as opposed to the Homie with 3 settings (choke pos 1, 2, and a 3rd for no choke).

Heres a few specs...
-Single cylinder 2 stroke
-27.2 cc
-.09 HP
-mix 50:1
-mid-grade gasoline (89 octane)
-Fuel tank capacity 13.5 oz.
-ANSI noise level 69 db(A)
-Air velocity 141 MPH
-Weight 8.6 lbs.

Sorry for the long post,
Greg

·
Registered
209 Posts
congrats on your new bG55. You'll never go wrong with a Stihl product.
btw starter's on the left so that air intake for the blower is on the outside (for right handed people....sorry lefties)......that way you don't get tired holding it to away from your leg to keep from blocking off the air intake like some other brands also with horizontal crank engines.
Good tools don't cost.......they pay every time you use them.:clap:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I have owned a BG-85 for over 2 years and it has performed flawlessly. Great piece of equipment. I have an ST400 I use for larger jobs and spraying that has the same track record. In about 7 years, I have had to replace a coil assy. under warranty.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got used to holding the Homelite in my left hand, and pulling with my right. The Stihl starts easily, so I can just pull the rope left handed. It wasn't really meant as a bad thing, it will just take awhile to get used to.

Same with my LT. For awhile, I kept looking for a brake pedal on the left side until I got used to it. LOL

Chief, that BG85 has got to be nice!

Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts