Tractor Forum banner

Homelight tractor gear shift stuck

2K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  dvto2 
#1 ·
The tractor has been sitting for a year and the gears won't shift. I did manage to start the tractor and bang the rod with a hammer to get it from forward to reverse, but now it's stuck in reverse and won't bang out of it. Suggestions?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Howdy dvto2, welcome to the forum.

I would get a big spray can of penetrating oil and spray everything associated with the shift linkage all the way to the transmission. Spray several times per day till it loosens up.

You might consider flooding the transmission with the correct fluid to lubricate components above the normal fluid level internally. Do not operate it in this overfilled condition. Drain the excess fluid off before operating once the shift mechanism frees up.

#3 ·
Howdy dvto2, welcome to the forum.

I would get a big spray can of penetrating oil and spray everything associated with the shift linkage all the way to the transmission. Spray several times per day till it loosens up.

You might consider flooding the transmission with the correct fluid to lubricate components above the normal fluid level internally. Do not operate it in this overfilled condition. Drain the excess fluid off before operating once the shift mechanism frees up.
What's thre correct fluid and procedure for changing it?

#9 ·
I never knew this had a high low shift, is that this lever? It has never worked and I was always stuck in low, I think.

Definitely a T 10, as I should have noticed.

It looks to me like the transmission splits. I don't see how you would take the top off. This would take quite a bit of disassembly.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.