Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the wheel weights I made for my JD GX335. They come out weighing 53# including attaching bolts, spacers and lockwashers and nuts. Back disk is 1/4" steel, and the steel pipe welded to the plate is 3 1/4" x 6" heavywall pipe, poured full of lead, and topped off with a cast aluminum hub cap. The TFM is my homeshop addopted name that I put on just about everything I cast and they stand for "Tyson Foundry & Machine" I live in Tyson, population of 6, and needless to say its the only machine shop and foundry in this one horse town

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wheel weights mounted on tractor

Here is the weights mounted on tractor. Oh, the pain is that Wally World John Deere yellow made by Krylon.........pretty cheap but nice paint, much cheaper than the JD cans are.

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Looks good

not a bad job different but still a good job:thumbsup:
Jody

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Super job, Chipmaker!

I'm always amazed at the things you do. Your web site is a real education and very interesting.

Ditto what Stewart said.

Greg

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
looks good.. you should have told us TFM stood for 'Tractor Forum Member'

but maybe you did not want andys head to swell up too much...

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, I thought about the Tractor Forum Member thing myself as I was typing up the post.

I don;t know how many of you may be interested in metal casting, but its really a very cheap hobby to get into and it can be done in your back yard, and neighbors think your doing nothing more than BBQ'ing. Its amazing what you can make this way. If you like working with wood, patternmaking is easy. Materials are really dirt cheap and its economical to do. No big fancy expensive machines needed, but a lathe is a plus. All you really need is simple hand tools. I get more use out of recycled soda and beer cans and scrap than they bring by selling them to the recycler. Those cast aluminum hub caps are predominately a stash or melted down soda cans.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Chipmaker

Nice job on the weights ! Did you build your own melting furnace and torch? If so, how hot will it get ? A picture of the furnace would be nice if you have one.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Greg

Thanks for the link !!!

Some years ago I made a couple furnaces pretty much like these although a bit smaller. I melted scrap alum. from the dump. Believe me, it works VERY well. They closed the dump so I sold the frunaces, and the alum. went to Mexico. Probably lamp posts now........

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Originally posted by Chipmaker
Here are the wheel weights I made for my JD GX335. They come out weighing 53# including attaching bolts, spacers and lockwashers and nuts. Back disk is 1/4" steel, and the steel pipe welded to the plate is 3 1/4" x 6" heavywall pipe, poured full of lead, and topped off with a cast aluminum hub cap. The TFM is my homeshop addopted name that I put on just about everything I cast and they stand for "Tyson Foundry & Machine" I live in Tyson, population of 6, and needless to say its the only machine shop and foundry in this one horse town
where do you get the tools and foundry?
Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I made my own foundry furnaces, burners and other associated stuff. Its pretty cheap to get into (foundry work that is) if you can initially work with basic hand tools and have a drill and a welder to use. As for other tooling such as the machine tools, they just came with time over the years........

You can use lots of various forms for a furnace, and burners are made up esentially of common plumbing parts.

You can see what its all about on my website
Frugalmachinist Website

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by farmallmaniac
oh yeah idk it might be just me but that site isnt working:confused:
Ryan
No its not you, I just got an "e" in among the www's that does not belong there.

Try this link its spelled right this time.Sorry!
Frugalmachinist website

1 - 20 of 23 Posts