Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my first high def television today. It is a Sony 32" flat screen and the picture is awesome. All I have right now though is digital cable.

What box do I need to take advantage of the HD that is broadcast on some channels during some shows? Is there different features with different boxes or are they all the same? Is one brand better than the other?

The picture is already awesome, I upgraded from a 12 year old 26" Mitsubishi that has been a wonderful set, I was just ready for bigger. I am not sure I even want to worry about taking advantage of HD is it worth it? How much more is it going to cost me?

TIA for any information.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Our local cable company (Time Warner) has their own HD box they connect to your TV to decode the HD channels. I think including the local broadcasts they currently have around 12 actual HD channels. The others are SD (Standard Definition) quality not HD. You have to subscribe to the HD package. The cable company than controls the box from their home office for pay per view or special subscriptions etc.

Mark

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Have you looked into installing a 10 - 12 ft. C band dish and a Motorola DSR-922 reciever and HDD 200 Decoder Module? VOOM is not doing well and C band gets the best picture definition. You may be able to find a free C band dish from someone who no longer uses theirs and save on the installation cost.

·
Registered
300 Posts
psrumors,
You have three principle ways to get HD broadcasts. The first, which you already have, is cable. All you need is a high def box and the right type of cables, I have component video cables and digital optical for audio. The second way is via satellite which also, at this time, requires an antenna to receive local network channels in HD since satellite companies are precluded in most markets from providing national feeds for network channels. To provide both local and HD feeds at the local level would soak up too much bandwidth which is why the external antenna is required. The good news is the satellite box also includes a ATSC (HD) tuner so you just hook both the cable and antenna connection the box and select all channels through the same on-screen guide. The third option is an antenna alone but requires a HD tuner which it sounds like your new set doesn't have so you would have to get one. I switch from satellite to cable because Comcast had a sweet promotion for swithing from satellite which included both video and high speed internet. The only one of the three options that does not require purchasing new hardware is cable since they lease the box to you for $5 a month plus perhaps some extra programming charge. Dish Network will lease a box also but you will have to put in an OTA (off-the-air antenna) which will cost some money depending on how close you are to the tranmitter and if there are an obstructions like tall buidings or hills in between. Voom mentioned earlier is a satellite system and does offer HD programming but I am not sure if it includes local networks like NBS, ABC, CBS or Fox which all broadcast in HD depending on the market. My suggestion is go with cable since it is the lowest cost and provides as good if not better picture quality as satellite. You can find out what local stations broadcast in HD for your area by going to www.antennaweb.org and put in your zip code. It will tell what digital channels are available, how far you are from the transmitter and what direction on the compass you have to point your antenna to receive them. Another factor to consider is most of the HD network stations broadcast separately on the UHF band so if you have poor UHF reception, you may have to consider only cable.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chief, we ended up getting a set top box from the cable company. It is a hd reciever along with a DVR. It is great.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Originally posted by psrumors
Chief, we ended up getting a set top box from the cable company. It is a hd reciever along with a DVR. It is great.
I too have the DVR box but is your the single or dual tuner one which just came out in the past few months?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's dual tuner. You can record 2 shows at once, do a picture in picture, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Just some feedback regarding Direct Tv service. They offer
HD service along with local channels in HD depending if these are O & O stations (owned and operated). Usually major cities will have have these stations, and you will recieve the HD broadcast channel with the HD package. Sometimes your location falls into different markets, and you will have a conflict. In order for you to see the channel, you have to get waivers from these local stations (bad scenerio).

You can find out what stations you will (and wont get) get by going on Direct Tv web site and putting in your zip code.

With most set top decoders (provided by satellite or cable) you also have the option and capability of recieving OTA (over the air) broadcasts.
These are free if you are in range of these stations, you simple connect a omni directional antenna depending on the need and your location. The good thing about digital signals, you either get the signal or you dont, there is no in between like weak analog signals. There is no picture quality difference if you recieve signal at 30% or 100% ....I'm talking satellite here just to be clear

If your cable company isnt up to speed or the service isnt in your area, I would say Satellite (DISH or DTV) is the answer...

I'm not sure about C-band having better picture quality then Dish or DTV regarding HD signals. The compression methods may be different, but HD signals recieved are the same standards (1080i or 720p) regardless of method....but maybe they are better because they have less channels, so the need for compression is less? Not enough C-band providers or systems to see up close and test out...

Ducati

1 - 8 of 8 Posts