Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was working n my 224 this weekend, swapping out the mower deck, and putting on the log splitter. Wile I was working on it, I had to replace a leaking hydro return hose. As I was draining the oil out, I saw quite a bit of shiny stuff in the oil.:mad: Seems like eather a pump, or motor is going south. Now I installed a filter in the system,[never had one before] and am planning on running it through the winter to split with. Come summer I will drain it, and check it out agean. Now this tractor has over 1700 hours, and all the hydro stuff seems to have never been replaced. My thing is, do I fix it? Knowing the rest of the tractor needs work also, do I put the money into a new pump, or motor, or just keep the filters changed and turn it into a self propelled wood splitter only? You know this is a tough place to be. Its not dead, and CAN be fixed, but is it worth it??

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Paul…

Have you seen any indication of poor hydraulic performance ?
If not, I would just add the filter and do another oil and filter
change in the near future.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope all seems good. No problem. Hoping for the best

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
I certainly wouldn't junk the tractor. I might be inspired to shorten up time between oil and filter changes and do what is reasonablly possible to delay the inevitable. You might get another 10-15 years, before the $$$$$$$ hits the fan. In the mean time, start scrounging for the parts you are gonna need or scouting for a replacement tractor.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey I am a big Simp fan. If I was buying new to mow, I would be using one.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh ya hey I work in the auto biz I KNOW stone busting:D

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Paul,

The pumps are aluminum gear type that will show some serious galling and still function....I have a relatively new one from the 446 that I parted out. I'll bet the pump doesn't have 5 hours on it.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm I will keep that in mind Randy. What else you got left from those piles? Anything else tucked away there?:D

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by Ingersoll444
Hmmm I will keep that in mind Randy. What else you got left from those piles? Anything else tucked away there?:D
I've got the steering gear (axle), fenders, tires and wheels, the frame.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts