Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have any experience with the old hit & miss engines? I saw one several years ago at a show and it peaked my interest. I think I would like to find one.

Other than e-bay, are there some sources for them? What are some good uses for one? Any info would be helpfull.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Kevin or Rodster they should know a good bit about them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
There are lots of things you can belt up to them. Corn sheller, feed mill, squirrel fan, water pump, pump jack....
Check out the site below under Big Engines for engines for sale. It's a fun hobby, but can be a bit expensive, but one can get lucky once in a while. Check out local auctions too. Never can tell what will pop up at those. I've picked up several at auctions myself.

Enginads.com

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hi
When i first got into them they told me to get one that ran. Like an Economy , something common and not real expensive. Then get one to restore. That way you have one to run and can take your time restoring the other one. I said I just wanted one but they were right soon I had a collection. I got out of the antique engines and got into Cushman scooters. then I got into
Indian motorcycles and got rid of the cushmans. If I had a big pole barn I never would have got rid of anything but I only have so much room. Good luck they have a lot of engine shows and
they are a fun hobby. Like everything else the more rare the more expensive and parts are harder to find. I just love to hear them run.
Rod

·
Registered
977 Posts
the hitnmiss engines sound the best but there are lots of throttle governed engines out there as well. there is usually 1 or 2 at farm sales up here. its just a matter of being at the right place at the right time

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As best a novice can explain here goes.

The engine is governed not by throttle but by the exhaust valve. As the engine reaches a predetermined rpm the exhaust valve is held open to keep the engine from passing the rpm. When this happens the engine misses and will pop slightly. Then as the rpms decrease the exhaust valve closes and allows the engine to fire or "hit" again and come back up to the correct rpm.

Hope that makes some sense.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It makes sense but seems like it would be hard on the exhaust system. Sounds like an unusual design. Were they commonly used? How long ago? What manufacturers made them? Just curious, but you can never know too much about these things :)

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you are thinking about getting into them you need the book by C.H. Wendel.
Rodster
PS.I have a friend that wants to sell ( I restored it years ago and then sold it to him) a 1917 or 1918 ( I forgot the exact year ) Fairbanks Morse 3 HP throttle governor Kero burner. It has a plug osilator magneto low tension ( not rotary ). You start it on gas then turn on the fuel pump and switch to kerosene. It is 25 miles north of Detroit Michigan and weighs about 400 pounds.
email ( [email protected] ) if interested. it is too big to ship.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts