Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my herb garden is finally shaping up. I dug out the dirt from inside the planter (10' x 3'), moved the planter, then filled it with top soil/potting soil mix. I planted the herbs May 16th. The grass is finally starting to fill in too. :)

In the planter is 5 Jalapeno plants, 5 Cayenne pepper plants, 2 Basil, 8 Garlic, and one each of the following; Triple Curl Parsley, Lemon Thyme, Greek Oregano, and Dill. In the 3 planters are Terragon, Italian Parsley, and Rosemary.

I also have 3 Hungarian Wax pepper plants which will remain potted, and a bunch of Chives, but the Chives are not yet big enough to transplant. They will be planted within a month or so, to fill in any open areas.

Next year, I plan to buy most of the plants. Alot of work involved, and I now have a new appreciation for herb gardens.

Just thought id share...And uh, have a nice weekend! :)

Greg

Attachments

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
That's nice Greg:thumbsup:....Is it close to the kitchen??

We're in the process of getting one started not far from the kitchen door so the misses can get fresh herbs anytime and conveniently.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Nice little garden you have there Greg:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Looks good Greg! :thumbsup:

The only plant I'm familiar with is dill. We always made sure to have that when we planted pickles. We also had spearmint and peppermint plants around the dog pen. The smell was supposed to keep the fleas away. Dog never had a flea problem so I guess it worked.:D I have thought about planting some garlic. Last year I was walking through the local greenhouse and spied a geranium that was supposed to repel mosquitoes. It has an odor of citronella when you rub a leaf. The mosquitoes don't really seem to pay any attention to it though. At least the leaves have a neat texture to look at while setting on the porch. I read on the internet somewhere that there was geraniums with different flavors similar to it that could be used for seasoning. Have you ever known anybody to use them for that?

Mark

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Yea, It's about 25' from the door...plenty close enough to run out and grab some. I am the only one that will be running out to get some, as I am the only one that cooks. LOL

Mark, I have never heard of geraniums as seasoning, but I wouldnt doubt it. As for mosquitos, I cant say either. We keep a good supply of OFF or Cutter, as the mosquitos can get bad out here. I do know that garlic is beneficial in several ways, and will help keep some bugs away, but Im not sure which ones. I need to find something to keep the rabbits away, as the little bastards munched on my parsley. 'Bout time to introduce them to Smith and Wesson.

Garlic is best planted in the Fall, but can be planted in the Spring. As quick as it grows, you'd still be fine planting now. A week after planting the cloves, I had green shoots sticking an inch out of the soil in about 1 week. I just planted about 12 cloves in a single planter, then transplanted them once they were about 6-9" tall. The roots grow very quickly, so Im glad I didn't wait any longer to transplant them. I just wish chives grew as quick!

Thanks,
Greg

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
They say Marigolds planted around your garden will keep rabbits away...My wife plants them around ours and sure enough no rabbits...go figure

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I may have to try some Marigolds around the garden. I have a roughly 20'x20' plot surrounded by a fence but the rabbits usually find a way in. Last year I tried one of those small animal electric fences. I watched the rabbit crawl right under it one night. I have a livestock electric wire around the top to hopefully keep the deer out. May need to add a second wire towards the bottom outside the fence for the rabbit. Between the animals, bugs, and weeds I sometimes wonder if it is worth the trouble for a small plot. But the taste of fresh picked makes it worthwhile in the end.

Mark

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats interesting, and ironic. My step dad told me tonight that Marigolds will help keep rabbits away, and so will human hair. I think i'd try the Marigolds first. :furious:

As for being worthwhile in the end, I agree. Just smelling the Oregano and Basil is enough to want to fire up a batch of marinara. Sea scallops with a lemon thyme and garlic butter sauce sounds pretty good too. I better quit before I get hungry. LOL

Greg

·
Registered
499 Posts
While i was mowing today i went over a patch of escaped thyme. Smelled heavenly. Anyone know where I could get bulk herb seeds to use instead of grass on the patches I fill in on the lawn?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not right off-hand, Jim. Sounds like an interesting idea. You could possibly look up bulk seeds or something on the www. Or as far as that goes, at .98 cents a pack, a few packs would cover a good amount of ground.

Maybe you could do something like till up the area, plant the seed, then staple some heavy guage plastic to some 2x4"s' drove into the ground. It would act as a greenhouse, and keep some unwanted pests away while the seeds germinate.

How big of an area are you thinking?

Greg

·
Registered
499 Posts
Originally posted by Fusion1970
Maybe you could do something like till up the area, plant the seed, then staple some heavy guage plastic to some 2x4"s' drove into the ground. It would act as a greenhouse, and keep some unwanted pests away while the seeds germinate.

How big of an area are you thinking?

Greg
Most of the big holes are where trees or bushes came out under previous owner - say 24" diameter

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry Jim, I havent been on here for a day or so. For an area that size (24"), one pack of seeds would do several of them.

Greg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts