Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess all herb posts would go in here? Anyway, is anyone out there growing any herbs? Theres got to be some of ya's out there!

It would be interesting to hear from people, with what they are growing in what zone. Tips, pointers, advice?

I am of course speaking of herbs in which might be used in cooking...and NO, brownies are not included. :smoking: LOL

I have grown herbs only in containers, and wanted to plant some herbs last year right after we moved in. Yea, right. This year is looking more feasible, and I am really starting to realize how time consuming it can be planning what goes where, in what kind of soil, in what light setting, what distance apart, etc.

Anyone else?
Greg

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Well I am in the same boat as you. I want to start a herb garden, just has not happand yet.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Originally posted by Fusion1970
I guess all herb posts would go in here? Anyway, is anyone out there growing any herbs? I am of course speaking of herbs in which might be used in cooking...and NO, brownies are not included. :smoking: LOL

Greg

:smoking: not that kind? Oh.. Never mind.... Kidding kidding kidding..

I dont grow any but i have an aunt who is grows them avidly...
She grows the common ones; thyme, rosemary, parsly, oregano, and many many more.. she is in Mass.. the whole front side of her house is all herbs..and they pretty much grow like weeds for her.. if you dont get many responses i can email a question to her.. she loves to talk :argue: so im sure she would give plenty of advise..

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
We grow a handful for the kitchen....Chives are a wonderful flowering plant that looks right at home on the flowerbeds...Sage, parsley..are a few others for enhancing food.

This year I'm going to terrace a little area where the grade drops away steeply from the yard to the drive. I'm planning on putting in a little kitchen garden because of it's proximity to the backdoor. I'm going to mix in a few tomato plants and green peppers too. Herbs amongst your other garden plants are good compaions to drive away unwanted pests from attacking your annual veggie plants.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
The wife plants a few in the garden each year for her hobby and we have a few at the table but have not really learned that much about it.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Same here the wife has a few in here flower beds. Me i don't know anything about them.
Jody

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
No experience here, except I planted some catnip in my garden a few years ago and had a cat that would go roll around in it and come out goofy.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im working an area about 3' x 9' on the side of my shed. The "herb box" is made from 2" x 12" lumber. I am currently growing some herbs, and ended up going to Franks and got some more. Im biting off more than I can chew I think, but it should be fun. Im planning on planting them in the ground the first couple weeks of May. I will try and post a few pics later.

I was just wondering who else, if anyone, was growing a few too. Post a few pics when you can if at all possible.

Next year, I am going to plant a small veggie garden, which is totally new to me.

Thanks for the responses,
Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts