Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Ford 3000
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I finished my top lid overhaul and decided it made sense to make sure the draft and position linkage was properly set before I re-assembled. As is usually the case, no good deed goes unpunished and I've run into a few hiccups. First, let me say that I downloaded a manual a while back and then was forwarded another manual by Hack on this forum and I'm getting conflicting information from the manuals. I've included pics of the manual cover pages for referenced. Item to note, the manual I downloaded and printed refers to the tractor as Super Dexta 3000. I'm assuming that is basically the 3000 series. The manual I received from Hack references series 3100 among others but not specifically series 3000 so that's got me super confused because as you'll see below, the dimensional data from each is in conflict.

First the manuals.

Font Parallel Number Pattern Document

Font Parallel Electric blue Document

Next, pics of my current lid assembled and upside down:

This is my linkage in draft mode.
Tool Bicycle part Wood Screw Nickel

Wood Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Bicycle part Gas

I'm having two specific issues:

The dimension to set the position lever from "full up" to the set point by which to make linkage adjustments don't match from manual to manual. One manual calls out 4 1/8" (see below....an it also references "earlier" models as compared to "current models" but it doesn't give any information explaining that)

Human body Wheel Font Line Screenshot

.......while the other manual calls out 3 3/4" for the same dimension (see below)

Font Material property Paper Paper product Camera

So which one is correct?

2. The manual that references the 4 1/8" dimension on the position lever diagram also requires 0.030" from the face of the valve to the face of the valve bushing behind the exhaust port at that lever position location referenced. I don't have enough adjustment in the turnbuckle in the linkage to get that dimension with the lever located as specified......the threaded stud isn't nearly long enough.

The other manual that references the 3 3/4" dimension on the position lever diagram requires 0.200" from the face of the valve to the face of the valve bushing at that lever position location. Again, I don't have enough adjustment in the turnbuckle in the linkage to get that dimension. I can, however get that dimension from face to face if I move the position lever a little close to the "full up" postion (2 3/4" to be exact)

Blue Wood Bicycle part Musical instrument Tape measure

So, my questions are this:

1. Which manual is correct? My tractor is a 1970 3000 built in England.
2. How am I supposed to achieve the appropriate dimension from the face of the valve to the face of the bushing if my turnbuckle doesn't have that much adjustment in it?

MY CAM FLOWER PIN IS WORN ABOUT HALF WAY THROUGH AND I HAVE A REPLACEMENT COMING. I’M SURE THAT IS CONTRIBUTING TO MY ADJUSTMENT ISSUES AS WELL.

As a follow up, both manuals say to thread the yoke in on the main draft spring until all spring "free play" is taken out. Is that free play in the large main spring that hooks to the 3ph or is it the free play in the spring on the rod that is connected to the plunger that the big spring drives?

I know this was long and I'm hoping there is someone out there that is a whiz at adjusting this linkage that makes me look like a dummy because it's so easy!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!! I'M READY TO GET THIS THING REASSEMBED AND OUT OF THE GARAGE SO THE WIFE WILL GET OFF MY BACK!!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The model name Super Dexta 3000 was more of a marketing thing. The former series of European built Ford tractors were branded Fordson. They were very popular and the model names where well known. In 1965, Ford launched the "World series", the 1000-series or 6X. The first tractors of the 1000-series (the ones made in Europe at least) had old Fordson model names added to their 1000-series name, to give the customers a feeling of developed popular models. However, the 1000-series tractors had very little in common with the Fordsons, just a few minor parts. Dexta was the smallest Fordson, so the smallest 1000-series 2000 became Dexta 2000, 3000 became Super Dexta 3000, and so on.

I think that in your 2000-7000 manual, there is a "New Model Supplement" that explains some of the changes that the 1000-series went through when the 1000-series was revised (6Y). This happened officially April 1, 1968. In this supplement there are also Chassis type mentioned. The most common type was All Purpose Agricultural, and the chassis number was 10. The first three numbers in the model code are made up of the first model digit and the chassis number. A 3000 All Purpose Agricultural has 310, and the model is called 3100 in parts lists and manuals. It has decals with 3000. There were some other chassis types that also had the 1000-series name on the decals, so you need to find the model code stamped on the tractor to find out what you have. Other chassis types, like the Utility type had the complete model name on the decals, 3400 and 4400.

It is a mess, and this is only the beginning, but a Super Dexta 3000 agricultural tractor is the same as an early (6X) 3000 agricultural tractor, and they are both 3100.

The 2000-7000 manual was, apart from the "New Model Supplement", printed in 1966. If you look in the other manual (Paragraph 344, PDF page 128) you will find that the hydraulic lift unit was updated September 16, 1969. You, most likely, have this later unit and should follow the instructions according to that.

You have the later style of control lever (and therefore later shaft), but they may have been swapped during the years. Look for the date code on the lift cover to make sure:

·
Registered
1970 Ford 3000
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The model name Super Dexta 3000 was more of a marketing thing. The former series of European built Ford tractors were branded Fordson. They were very popular and the model names where well known. In 1965, Ford launched the "World series", the 1000-series or 6X. The first tractors of the 1000-series (the ones made in Europe at least) had old Fordson model names added to their 1000-series name, to give the customers a feeling of developed popular models. However, the 1000-series tractors had very little in common with the Fordsons, just a few minor parts. Dexta was the smallest Fordson, so the smallest 1000-series 2000 became Dexta 2000, 3000 became Super Dexta 3000, and so on.

I think that in your 2000-7000 manual, there is a "New Model Supplement" that explains some of the changes that the 1000-series went through when the 1000-series was revised (6Y). This happened officially April 1, 1968. In this supplement there are also Chassis type mentioned. The most common type was All Purpose Agricultural, and the chassis number was 10. The first three numbers in the model code are made up of the first model digit and the chassis number. A 3000 All Purpose Agricultural has 310, and the model is called 3100 in parts lists and manuals. It has decals with 3000. There were some other chassis types that also had the 1000-series name on the decals, so you need to find the model code stamped on the tractor to find out what you have. Other chassis types, like the Utility type had the complete model name on the decals, 3400 and 4400.

It is a mess, and this is only the beginning, but a Super Dexta 3000 agricultural tractor is the same as an early (6X) 3000 agricultural tractor, and they are both 3100.

The 2000-7000 manual was, apart from the "New Model Supplement", printed in 1966. If you look in the other manual (Paragraph 344, PDF page 128) you will find that the hydraulic lift unit was updated September 16, 1969. You, most likely, have this later unit and should follow the instructions according to that.

You have the later style of control lever (and therefore later shaft), but they may have been swapped during the years. Look for the date code on the lift cover to make sure:
Thanks Hacke. I definitely have the later model.....1970 per the stamp code on the cover. Now, if I can just figure out why I can't get the 0.030" adjustment like the manual says I'll be set. Waiting to put my new cam follower pin in when it gets here. Hoping that helps get it closer than I can get it now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts