Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone guide me to helping me find the parasitic drain on my battery. I’ve replaced the pto, voltage regulator, both positive and negative battery cables and tried two or three different batteries. I have a Toro 30498 Floating Deck 48” Walk Behind and I’ve had an engine replacement and it now has a Briggs Intek 19.5hp vertical shaft engine. This is driving me absolutely crazy having to charge this battery every stop. I have a multimeter but not sure where I should in tracing this problem to find it and fix it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Unhook one of your battery cables, hook a volt meter between the battery and the cable. Then start pulling fuses until you see a change. Then you`ll know what circuit is the culprit draining your battery.

Make sure your charging system is charging properly, and that your battery has been load tested. A bad battery can drain itself pretty easy if its bad. Usually a bad battery is internally shorting out.

Also make sure the top of your battery is clean and dry. A battery that is constantly wet on top can short itself out between the +/- posts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That should be easy because there are only 2 fuses on this unit and both coming off of the starter switch. I had to install an aftermarket starter switch after someone damages my oem so could it be possible that the new aftermarket switch is crap?

·
Registered
154 Posts
That should be easy because there are only 2 fuses on this unit and both coming off of the starter switch. I had to install an aftermarket starter switch after someone damages my oem so could it be possible that the new aftermarket switch is crap?
Thats the very first place i would look into. I learned long ago not to use some of this aftermarket garbage out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts