Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, can someone help me figure this out. I have an old ford 800 series. 850 model, I have had it for many years and am rebuilding the engine the question I have is as you can see in my pictures there are three holes in the cylinder head and holes in the new gasket that I am using but the block and the old gasket do not have these holes... The block has 8015-J stamped on it having a problem with the serial number on the tractor itself we can see <> 989-96<> so not exactly sure hoping someone can help me out thanks
tractor head_LI.jpg
tractor_LI.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
You will find covered openings like this on most engines through upgrades and mods, your engine hasn't over the years that you have owned it given any problems with overheating??, if not, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will find covered openings like this on most engines through upgrades and mods, your engine hasn't over the years that you have owned it given any problems with overheating??, if not, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
yes, the engine has had a problem with overheating numbers 3 and 4 cilynder got very hot and I had to replace the rods and the crankshaft..I was running the tractor with the radiator cap a little loose because of the overheating problem..Thanks for helping me out

·
Registered
510 Posts
Doesn’t look an issue to me either, but has that head been resurfaced? Hard to tell from pic but doesn’t look to have been from color of it. If not the head and block need surfacing…if done then great.

Especially important if prior heating issue…want them to be good match so there’s no head gasket leaks. Also, is that a new head gasket as there looks to be impressions in it from prior compression.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Are you sure that is the correct/original head that actually came with that block from the factory, or has one of them (Head, or block) been replaced over the life span of the engine, and you're not aware of it? You have to wonder, why would Engineers take the time to design galleys into an original OEM head that didn't match galleys going into an original OEM block?

Look closely at the 1st photo, notice the two angled galleys in the block, between #2 & #3 cylinders, don't match up with any port in that head either and they are also being blocked off by the head gasket (photo #2). Another reason to suspect that is not the right head/block combination. Total of five (5) galleys/ports going into a supposedly matched OEM head/block combination that are being blocked off by a head gasket and you've already replaced two rods and the crankshaft from overheating? Hard for me to believe it came that way from the factory.....

·
Registered
615 Posts
Running ANY engine with the rad cap loose is a big NO. That will always contribute to overheating because the cooling system HAS TO BE PRESSURIZED to raise the boiling point of the coolant, even if it's just tap water. The exception would be a thermosiphon system but yours ain't.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
What a mixup, we have an engine block with all water galleys minus 3, a head gasket minus 5 water galley openings and a cylinder head minus 2 water galley openings, so which item is wrong ??.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
What a mixup, we have an engine block with all water galleys minus 3, a head gasket minus 5 water galley openings and a cylinder head minus 2 water galley openings, so which item is wrong ??.
I figured and old fox like you would see what I was saying right away. As we would so eloquently say here in Mississippi...... "Somethin ain't looking right, it kinda just stares at ya all catawampusly. You don't reckon that's why it's overheatin?":cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured and old fox like you would see what I was saying right away. As we would so eloquently say here in Mississippi...... "Somethin ain't looking right, it kinda just stares at ya all catawampusly. You don't reckon that's why it's overheatin?":cool:
so do I start looking for a different cylinder head ?? and how do I locate one that matches up ?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
so do I start looking for a different cylinder head ?? and how do I locate one that matches up ?
"I have had it for many years"

That's the strange part to me. I think you're leaning toward agreeing that is not the correct head/ block combination. In order to correct the problem, I would assume you would want to take the less costly path. You can probably find a head cheaper than a block, and it looks like you've already installed new pistons, but it's like FredM said, that's not even the correct head gasket for either that head, or that block. I'd go looking for the correct head gasket to match the block first and then use that as a "brain template" to find the correct head. If you stare at the correct head gasket for long enough (it'll probably be at least long enough for it to start staring back), you'll recognize the correct head when you see it. I would take those pictures to the Ford Dealer and show/explain to the guy behind the parts counter the problem. I'd then give him a great big warm Mississippi smile and say "WTF?", or something along those lines.

That's just me.... You might want to consider and alternative approach after you show him the pictures;)

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Yeh Bob!! I didn't look close enough at first glance at the photos, and you would be 99% right that the non openings would be the cause of overheating, at best John will have to find a head that has the tear drop openings above the oil filter side, I don't think I would like to drill 3 holes in the block just because they are there in the head.

I was hoping our 2 Ford Gurus would have come online, those blokes would have been very helpful for John.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Yeh Bob!! I didn't look close enough at first glance at the photos, and you would be 99% right that the non openings would be the cause of overheating, at best John will have to find a head that has the tear drop openings above the oil filter side, I don't think I would like to drill 3 holes in the block just because they are there in the head.

I was hoping our 2 Ford Gurus would have come online, those blokes would have been very helpful for John.
We probably need a guy with an 8N in his Avatar to help with the questions this raises. Someone that is like a Super Moderator, or something. Let's see.... Who could we get??😎

1 - 14 of 14 Posts