Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from Nomad a citizen of Nomadia.

Been hanging on the net since its beginning and for years on farm forums, I think I know some names on the forum here and guess some probably knows me as I am always "Nomad" all over the net.

A brief intro. about me;
Spent decade in mathematical physics (researches), years in international business and decades in farming. Spare time in the fields of natural fine art, international business, etc and of course in farming.

I found this forum on link page of a website of someone, but don't remember who he/she was. Anyways, good to bookmark another farm forum.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Welcome to the forum Nomad! Alway glad to see someone new drop by. So if you were on the 'net from the begining, you must know Al Gore?:D Sorry for the bad joke, especially since I'm sure you have suffered through it before. So what kind of farming are you involved in? And what kinds of tractors do you use?

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Welcome Nomad:friends: glad to have you on board now where in the world is Nomadia:question: :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Hey Jody,
Our new member Nomad's personal web page says he is in Turkey. Another international member! I wonder how many different countries we have so far? That is one of the best things I like about the internet, you can meet folks from anywhere and it is just people talking with people, without the governmental, or journalistic spin laid on top of the conversation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all.
Where is Nomadia? It's everywhere, a country without a border. There is Nomadia in USA, there is Nomadia in Africa, in Japan and so on. I am from Nomadia in Turkey.
I mentioned a little about me on my bio/profile.
Why are you here? For searching business oppurtunities?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
welcome nomad..
are you from Turkey?

just curious:
What kind of car do you drive?
How much does a newcar cost overthere?
how much land do you live on?
how much for a gallon of Gas?
how much for a music CD?
how much for a pcak of smokes?
Wjhats an average house cost?

sorry if im being too nosey just curious as to cost of living/life in another country

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John, none of these are much required things to understand the cost of living/life in a place. At least, it's so for me. Instead, I would ask
what is the price of 1lb bread? (12 cents)
what is the price of 1lb apple? (10-30 cents)
what is the price of 1lb cherry? (20-50 cents)
what is the price of 1lb strawyberry? (20-50 cents)
what is the price of 1lb watermelon? (10 cents)
what is the price of 1lb tomato? (10-15 cents)
what is the price of 1lb truffle? (I have it for FREE!!! - whats it in USA? $250?)
what is the price of an average house? (~$15,000)
what is the price of an average car? (I have no interest in cars at all. Walk walk.. the best for heart.)
what is the price of a music CD? (don't know - must be about $1)
what is the price of a pack of a smoke? (good turkish is for $1-2)

The life cost isn't how much you earn - it's how much you can buy.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
thanks nomad.. Whats the average wage over there?

What do most do for work?

here:
Bread 1-2$
apples 1-1.5$
tomato 1-2$ lb
house 150,000-200,000 and climbing
car 18000-25,000
smokes 3-4$
CD 8-15$ (guessing)
gas 1.90-2.25

and you are right, none really needed to understand for life.. just things one may buy here

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think saying GDP is better. Annual GDP (per person) must be about $7000 - there is USA is 3 times more than this $20,000. But the prices here 1/3 of USA. So, I think living conditions here and there are more or less same. 30-40% of population is farming (half of this fruit farming) - I think same percentage in the industry. What about comparing farming tools/implements/parts/etc here and there? Let me start. A 5'6" drum mower is about $900. It is more than $2000 there. What farming items can we compare? Tractor parts?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Nomad wher in Turkey are you located?
I spent a little time at Incerlik(sp) in 94. We got to take a few trips, one was to the castle by the sea. Warm clear water!!
We could eat for less than $3.00 Shish kabobs, rice and all the bread, butter and Pepsi you wanted. Most of the people we met were real nice. Now driving on the roads was another story!:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Incirlik is a small town (near city Adana) where NATO airbase is located. The region you went is Mideast part of Turkey. You should have travelled from here to the west along the Mediterranean coasts which are popular touristic places for Europe and Asia. I am located in Midwest part of Turkey. I don't drive on the roads here either and thats why I am insisting on not getting a driver license. I can't keep myself on the roads awake, can sleep easily on the road and I am not as good as our sleeper truck drivers on the road;)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Thanks for sharing, if you come across any pictures be sure to post them, I am sure we would all enjoy them. All my pictures are still 35mm, I need to get them put on CD one of these days.:peace:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Hi Nomad, and welcome to TF.com!!:friends: I've been enjoying hearing a little about your country, I'd like to hear more. Is there much by way of beef cattle in Turkey? My father and I run a herd of Angus cattle,as well as a tractor parts business.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, thank you for sharing nomad. This adds a different persective to our lives.

As for comparing things, how about
the price of fertilizer-about $320 here
the price of fuel oil- I just paid 1.60
the price of a new hay rake- around 3,500, depending on brand and dealer

And you are not alone in having some sleeper truck drivers there. we sometimes have news stories of accidents where the drivers fall asleep.

and what kind of farming are you involved in? I have a few beef cows with calves and make hay for sale to local horse owners.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stewart, I think you can find pictures of Incirlik town on their web sites of retired American soldiers who had worked in Turkey:
http://www.merhabaturkey.com/

Parts man, a little about here Turkey;
Turkey is one of 7 countries in the world who can feed itself without importing any food (grain, fruits, meat, fish, etc) from outside. Animals (cattles, cows, sheeps, etc) are mostly raised in mountainy eastern region. I am at Midwest. Presently, I too am in part and implement business (international business.)

Waynl, I had farmed the grain till my university years in the past. At present, I have only a small cherry garden and farming like a hobby.
I have no idea on the price of fertilizer as I am not very involved in farmin. But a month ago or two, I had bought some organic fertilizer (feather meal) and its price was about 15 cents per pound.
Much tax on oil here. So, the price is about $1.2 per lt (approx. $4 per gallon)
Hay rake for $3500? This is a rotary rake? Rotary rake is not available here yet, but a manufacturer started to make it. I know this because I work with many manufacturers here. I expect its price will be about $2000. Here, for raking hay, wheel hay rakes are used. A simple 4-wheel hay rake can be bought for $300. A 10-wheel hay rake is for about $1000.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts