Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Michigan, my name is Dan. I've been lurking for a long time off and on. I am mechanically inclined and no stranger to lawn mowers/tractors, but now I need some help. I have searched the forums extensively and cannot find a viable answer to my problem.

I have a Cub Cadet XT2 LX46 FAB I bought brand new in June of 2017. Other than damaging it myself by hitting a stump at our new house when it had .1 hours on the meter, I have had zero problems with it until last week.

Two weeks ago when I tried to start it, there was just a CLICK at the very front of the engine when I pressed the ignition button. Nothing happened. I thought I didn't have the brake peddle down far enough, so I set the parking brake and tried again. Just a click up front again. So, I repeated this one more time and the lawn mower started right up. I chocked it up to having a brain fart and missing something in the starting process.

I continued to mow the lawn, even shut it off a few times with no more issues.

Enter last week. I again tried to start the engine and just the CLICK up front of the engine again. This time, no matter how many times I tried to start it, same result. Just a click.

I found the fuel solenoid up front, which is a new item for me. I did research and found out it's purpose.

One of my questions is will the solenoid keep the engine from cranking? Or will it just not allow the engine to start if it is bad? The reason I ask is I have replaced, so far the battery, and the starter solenoid, and the engine does nothing but a click up front still.

I have also determined (assume maybe?) that the interlock switches at the brake, seat, and PTO are good because I can turn/engage each one of those individually and I won't get a click. Also, the ignition module screen tells me which switch needs attention before it will start.

I am able to start it by jumping the starter directly from the battery, bypassing everything. I at least got to mow the lawn but it's a pain starting this way.

So, what I need help with is deciding if it's the fuel solenoid or the ignition module? Or is it something else I'm missing? I took the fuel solenoid off and it went up and down freely, but I never applied power to it.

The lawn mower's info:
Model #13AQA4CN010
Kohler KT-735-3078 Engine

Thanks for any help.
Dan

·
Super Moderator
9,416 Posts
I have a mower with a brake button that is getting flat on top. With tthe park brake on, my tractor won't start..... unless I step on the brake and push it till it activates the switch properly.
Welcome to the forum, btw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a mower with a brake button that is getting flat on top. With tthe park brake on, my tractor won't start..... unless I step on the brake and push it till it activates the switch properly.
Welcome to the forum, btw.
I checked mine visually the best I could and it appeared fine. It's in an awkward place to look at, so I shoved my phone under there to maybe get a look at it. Doesn't mean it's not bad, but the ignition screen detects it when I press it. I bought a switch to swap it out when I run out of ideas.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Howdy Stunod, welcome to the forum.

Try bypassing/jumpering the seat safety switch. If that doesn't work, try same on your PTO safety switch, and then on your brake safety switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have bypassed all switches and they all work and the grounds are good, so I ordered a replacement push button ignition module because that's the only thing I can think of that's left. It's a good thing I can start the tractor directly at the starter motor because it's going to take a couple weeks to get the part in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Final update,
The electronic push button ignition module arrived and worked. I was surprised, but it was the last thing I tried and it worked. Not going to wash the lawn mower ever again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts