Tractor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, took a flyer and bought a machine w/o seeing it run.
I just bought a Case 420B wheel backhoe/loader, no gas, no battery lots of moss, last run 2019 (maybe).
Now the challenge is to get it home before its buried in snow.
o Could use an operator's manual.
o Any advice on starting or hauling?
Its 2 hours away, in the mountains, I plan to rent a trailer and haul with my F250 6.0L
o Is high octane or Ethanol-free worth using?
o What size battery does this take? Yes, I'll run it until the ground freezes.
o What are best practices for winter storage?
How difficult is it to remove the hoe & loader buckets? Trying to reduce the weight.
I'm not a mechanic but confident I can get it done.
The plan is to get it started, maybe remove the buckets, retrieve batteries to charge.
Then come back with trailer & truck.
The price was right & I have some projects for the backhoe. I'm optimistic!!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hi all, took a flyer and bought a machine w/o seeing it run.
I just bought a Case 420B wheel backhoe/loader, no gas, no battery lots of moss, last run 2019 (maybe).
Now the challenge is to get it home before its buried in snow.
o Could use an operator's manual.
o Any advice on starting or hauling?
Its 2 hours away, in the mountains, I plan to rent a trailer and haul with my F250 6.0L
o Is high octane or Ethanol-free worth using?
o What size battery does this take? Yes, I'll run it until the ground freezes.
o What are best practices for winter storage?
How difficult is it to remove the hoe & loader buckets? Trying to reduce the weight.
I'm not a mechanic but confident I can get it done.
The plan is to get it started, maybe remove the buckets, retrieve batteries to charge.
Then come back with trailer & truck.
The price was right & I have some projects for the backhoe. I'm optimistic!!

See the link......It shows that it only weights 3560 pounds complete so I would not remove the hoe or the bucket.....Your F-250 should pull it just fine.....

Unless they have drained all the gas out of it, it might be a bear's butt to start the first time due to setting that long and the gas going bad.....Probably best to try to wench it up on the trailer and mess with it once you get it home in my opinion....

·
Administrator
10,183 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please have a read of the following brochure. The 420 weighs in at 7740 pounds and the "B" could be upwards of 8200 pounds.
I'd talk to a towing company and get a rollback truck that can winch 10000 pounds up onto the deck. That's what I did, I have a 320B. These things are like bulldozers with rubber tires! LOL
If you tow it yourself, in the mountains, make sure the trailer is big enough and that the brakes all around are in good order!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please have a read of the following brochure. The 420 weighs in at 7740 pounds and the "B" could be upwards of 8200 pounds.
I'd talk to a towing company and get a rollback truck that can winch 10000 pounds up onto the deck. That's what I did, I have a 320B. These things are like bulldozers with rubber tires! LOL
If you tow it yourself, in the mountains, make sure the trailer is big enough and that the brakes all around are in good order!

[/QU
OK......So the tractor data website is wrong on this one......I then agree with what Bill said.....

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I believe the 'smart' move is to hire a recovery company with a roll back and have them fetch it and deliver it. Rollbacks all have pto winches and tie downs. You'll have to pay some money but it will be zero hassle on your part. Exactly what I did when I bought my last, used M9. 350 miles from here. Cost me 500 bucks and well worth it. Mine ran just fine but was heavy. I have a tandem axle Gooseneck and an F350 diesel but it was so much easier having it hauled here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info and advice. I had reviewed the recommended brochure prior to purchase. Even though it left off the "b", it looked like the tractor I bought. It kinda sold me on the 420b, fairly small, but very capable machine. I'll try to find an excavation company or recovery to move it to So. ME. I'll keep you posted with pics and updates.
Can't find free download manuals for this, I didn't have any problems finding free info on my Ford 461 Workmaster or the Koenig PTO winch, this Case, is a different beast.

·
Administrator
10,183 Posts
I can't find any free downloads either. There are a few manuals out there, but you may have to mix and match. Some of the 420B manuals are for the tractor / loader unit and may not, and probably, don't include the Backhoe information.
CNH has the parts break down... sort of a parts manual for you to look at,
If I get a chance this afternoon, I will have a look at my manuals and see if anything mentions the 420 or 420 B. I don't think they will, but it may be worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Exactly. I refer to not only my owners manuals but the shop manuals too. Interestingly, the last one I bought the 2004 M9 I got used, came with not only the original owners manual but the slip pouch it came in. I'm just glad that Kubota Books.com exists. Where I downloaded the WSM for mine. Sure was better than paying 300 bucks for the hard copy, though my dealer allows me to access his library of workshop manuals if I want to view them. I keep the PDF copy on this computer and on my tablet.

I find it odd that when buying a used tractor no manual comes with it. It had one when it was new, every tractor and implement comes with one.

I keep them all in the file cabinet flor easy reference.

Like the round bailer I just traded in, no way you could ever figure out how to operate it. It's all electronically controlled and the owners manual(s) explain not only how it operates but how to interpret what the digital readout says. You'd be totally lost without it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't find any free downloads either. There are a few manuals out there, but you may have to mix and match. Some of the 420B manuals are for the tractor / loader unit and may not, and probably, don't include the Backhoe information.
CNH has the parts break down... sort of a parts manual for you to look at,
If I get a chance this afternoon, I will have a look at my manuals and see if anything mentions the 420 or 420 B. I don't think they will, but it may be worth a shot.
I ended up downloading an Operators Manual for 420B Gasoline Wheel Tractor. Its a Case reprint - 1995 not sure how it differs from the original. I'm just happy to have something to tell me how to operate & maintain this beast. It certainly looks fairly simple.
In the future, if anyone is looking for a 420B manual, send them my way I'll help them out. I'd be happy just to recover the cost.

·
Administrator
10,183 Posts
I looked through my manuals and there is no mention of the 420B. I have a 320B and my manuals are for the 300 and the 400. Lots of info on the old farm tractors in there as well. I don't have the Case backhoe attachment, mine is a John Deere 70, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I looked through my manuals and there is no mention of the 420B. I have a 320B and my manuals are for the 300 and the 400. Lots of info on the old farm tractors in there as well. I don't have the Case backhoe attachment, mine is a John Deere 70, if I remember correctly.
So the wiring diagram from the Operators Manual shows it’s positive post grounded, huh? First I have ever heard of that. Is your 320b positive grounded? Not knowing this, I reversed the battery and jumper cables. I hope i didn’t damage anything. Wonder if I will have to reverse the polarity on the V regulator?

·
Administrator
10,183 Posts
My 320B was most likely a positive ground when new, but it now has an alternator and is negative a ground. The previous owner did plenty of homemade wiring that I have been pulling out over the last few years, so my particular unit isn't much of a machine to go on.
I'd consider polarizing the regulator, but perhaps one of the other members can chime in and discuss the electrical issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts