Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some Peltor Worktunes AM/FM hearing protection "headphones" for $59. They reduce the noise by 25 db. Is this a good brand and a good price for hearing protection?

I have a JD 2210 3cyl diesel. I left it running the other day while I walked down to my mailbox. I didn't realize how loud it was even at half-throttle. It's even louder with the 62" deck engaged, of course. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I saw them at Walmart for $49 a while back but they were out of stock as of lately. Try adding some good quality cetane boosting fuel additive to that 2210's fuel. You will be surprised how much it quiets them down. My 4410 is the same way. I wear ear muffs while operating mine too. I posted some links with prices for fuel additive on the Petroleum, Oils, and Lube section.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Chief. I'm setting on a full tank (non-treated) right now. I had seen your links about the additives. Waiting for another snow so I can get it out of the garage. My '79 Wagoneer that I use for hauling the 2210 is broken down on my acreage (30 miles away). Waiting for a good weekend (weather-wise) to take care of that. It's always something. :cry:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by MowHoward2210
I saw some Peltor Worktunes AM/FM hearing protection "headphones" for $59. They reduce the noise by 25 db. Is this a good brand and a good price for hearing protection?

I have a JD 2210 3cyl diesel. I left it running the other day while I walked down to my mailbox. I didn't realize how loud it was even at half-throttle. It's even louder with the 62" deck engaged, of course. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
I have always wonderd about the radio ear muffs. Granted, they lower the noise level, but when you turn on the radio, does it not bring it back up, becouse you would have to hear it over the noise? Am I missing something? I would love to get a set. My lawn takes a few hours to mow, and my tractor is REAL loud.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Hearing Protection

Originally posted by Ingersoll444
I have always wonderd about the radio ear muffs. Granted, they lower the noise level, but when you turn on the radio, does it not bring it back up, becouse you would have to hear it over the noise? Am I missing something? I would love to get a set. My lawn takes a few hours to mow, and my tractor is REAL loud.
Good point, Paul, about the radio. I wonder with the radio, if you would be able to hear something bad from your tractor? I guess it you had a mechanical problem and made it worse by keep running it, you could alway blame it on Heavy Metal. :guitarman

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I wear the plain Peltor muffs without the radio for the reasons Paul and Mow bring up. I want to be able to hear any unusual sounds or problems ASAP.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
i tried the peltors but got poor AM reception. Instead i got headphones with a speaker jack so i could use a walkman that gets better reception.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts