Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that are familiar with them...and purchase items from them....

What types of items do you purchase from them? And why.

I understand the quality issues and most things wouldn't hold up to daily use, but many of us are part time users.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I have bought a piston ring compreser from them have only use it twice. Also have some straps that have work good.
Jody

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I have ordered a LOT of stuff from them. I even ordered my log splitter. The tools are not like you buy off the Snap-On truck but for some tools like hammers, chisels, and electrical tools. They are not bad. My 20 ton log splitter is still running great. I also ordered a Makita power buffer for my boat and that has performed very well. I would recommend joining up with the "Insider's Track Club". This affords you a big disount on many items and will more than pay for itself. Yeah, some of their stuff is the cheap crappy junk but a lot is pretty good stuff. I would recommend them.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
the free shipping is nice.. for some reason i always go to northern tool instead of harbor freight no real reason.... i think both places are similiar..

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Well we have a harbor freight here in town i just go there.
Jody

·
674 Posts
We have on in town too.... it is low to fair on quality IMO. Worth buying for occasonal use or expenable stuff.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

I have one that is about a block from work. It's always a very busy place.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I have purchased several things from them, including 10,000 lb. cargo straps, tire changer, assorted hand tools, chain binders etc. They handle many Chinese import tools and some name brand re-conditioned tools etc. If you watch what you buy, you can do OK. These are not professional grade tools, but most are adequate for the handyman. I have an outlet about 30 miles from me so I stop in occasionally to see what's there.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Originally posted by Argee
IMO I think Northern Tool is far superior to Harbor Freight.

Northern Tool does have a lot more stuff but they are about the same in quality of tools.
Jody

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
I just bought a 40 piece socket set for $2.49 OMG!!!

This set will be stored in the shed for those days that I need a socket and I'm too lazy to go to the garage.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Re: ?

Originally posted by Spike
Is Northern Tool web based?
They started out as a mail base also they also have some stores to.
Jody

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I usually just browse ouor local Horrible Fright store, mainly to get ideas for things I may want to build. Of all the purchases I made from them I only have two items worthy of using, that has lasted, and one of which is a major brand name I bought through them. I have a small horizontal vertical type metal cutting bandsaw I bought from them over 20 years ago, for $99.00 and free shipping back then. I have greatly improved this saw over the years and it owes me nothing. The newer ones are all stamped steel for blade guide supports etc and made very cheaply as comparted to this older saw. The other item was supposedly a Lincoln AC welder for $100.00 , new not refurbed. It took over 11 weeks from the time I ordered it until it finally showed up on the freight companies loading dock. Went to pick it up and low and behold it turned out to be a Lincoln AC/DC welder shipped by mistake so it was my gain. Hard to beat a ACDC Lincoln for that price. If its a one time deal I need a certain tool for I may buy it but I have never got any long term use out of their tools, and usually consistent use of their tools usually winds up messing up something else down the road like rounding off bolt heads, or broken studs with their gear pullers, stripped out screw heads from their screwdrivers etc. Their air tools consume way more air than a quality air tool does. They work but air consumption is much higher to get the same output out of a name brand air tool. So I am not a real big fan of HF, and put it about the same quality as Chuck Hormiers traveling tool circus. Northern used to be good, but now its hard to tell what the item is in terms of quality as they seemed to have added a heap of import junk to their product listing.

One thing China does do and does a great job at doing is making great drill bits. They are cryogenically heat treated and very hard and durable. BUT.........they should learn how to sharpen them, as their sharpeing skills leave a lot to be desired. I do buy HF drill bits when on sale, and never use them right from the box unless I resharpen them first. Makes a heap of difference. Of course sizes are not held to tight so some are under and some are oversized, but for the most part when sharpend right they are fine for in a shop. I also buy HF 4" angle grinders 4 or 5 at a time when on sale, as some last others don't, and an angle grinder around my place gets a real workout. Someday I may justs break down and buy a good POrter Cable or Metabao and be done with it. I probably spent enough on HF grinders to have bought 2 or 3 of the good angle grinders already.

Grizzley markets good and bad items, and JET which is supposedly the top dog in import machines etc also has good and bad. I got a royal shaft on the lathe I bought from JET but at least they did make good for its shortcomings and problems it had.

Not much into refurbed tools, as if there is suffiicient quantity of an item that it can be refurbed and sold in numerous stores nationwide it tells me two things. It was a lemon of a design or make to begin with or perhaps they seen a defect and decided to do something about it. I just don't usually take a gamble on these things.

Just my take on Horrible Fright and the others......

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Nothing can compare to my Metabo angle grinder. Going on 5+ years of heavy use. I use it for just about everything. My own grinding, sanding, finishing, blending, buffing. I use it in my shop at the house and on the road doing demos.

gets a good workout every week.

Can't beat their quick change hub system.

Just don't use their grinding wheels. They turn into flying wheels.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Bought a Brave log splitter from them works real nice. I'm also a mobile tool distributor (matco) so I can usually get better prices elsewhere. The only thing to be careful of is some of there things are remanufactured. New defectives repaired and being resold just make sure of warranty when ordering.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Originally posted by Stewart
Am I guessing right in saying that Metabo makes good tools???:fineprint :question: :question:
You hit that nail right on the head. Metabo is top notch stuff! Price to go along with it also, but not all that much higher than the top end Porter Cable or Bosch items are. I think a Metabo grinder is the main choice of most folks doing any work with metals.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts