Tractor Forum banner

GT52XLS torque wrench size?

3K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  PicoAzores 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Does anyone know what exact torque wrench "size" an owner of GT52XLS need to purchase from let's say this website:

The GT52XLS owner's manual does not specify not only what size of torque wrench is needed to deal with the mower's blades, but also does not mention that a torque wrench is recommended. Perhaps back in 2013-14 torque wrenches were not invented yet?

#4 ·
Thank you. The following ones have 250 ft. lbs. at the high end, do you think this is good to use with GT52XLS?

VS.

VS.

#10 ·
Modern torque wrenches are graduated in both Foot pounds and Newton Meters. You just pick the scale you want. You want a 'clicker' wrench which will audibly 'break' at the set torque value. Per chance do you have a Harbor Freight store there? reason I ask is, I have more than one torque wrench. I have very expensive Snap On clickers, Snap On dial type wrenches and HF wrenches, I have a moderately priced HF 'Icon' 1/2" (13MM) drive wrench (200 bucks) that is equal to my most expensive Snap On wrenches in repeatability and pre set torque value. The 'Icon' wrench, for all intents and purposes is the mirror image of my Snap On 1/2" drive wrench except for the cost. The Snap On Clicker cost me over 600 USD where as the Icon was 200 USD.

One important note to keep in mind and that is, inexpensive clicker wrenches ONLY indicate set torque values in the right hand (tightening) rotation, not the left hand rotation, so if you are ever planning on tightening a left hand threaded fastener, the cheaper wrenches won't work. I do (use left hand torque) so the inexpensive wrenches don't work for me. The HF 'Icon' wrench indicates both left hand and right hand torque, like my Snap On wrenches do. Even have a couple 'Beam' style wrenches from the early 60's that I don't use anymore.

Impact sockets are pretty universal everywhere and 1/2" drive is also 13mm drive for you Metric fans. Impact sockets are usually black oxide and not chrome plated. I have complete sets of both SAE and Metric impact sockets. In fact, I have two separate roll around tool chests, one is ALL SAE and one is ALL METRIC because vehicles today mix and match fasteners.

Far as air tools are concerned, I tend to use Ingersoll Rand impact wrenches in 1/2" and 3/4" drive. I have on order, an Astro Pneumatic 1/2" drive 'Thor' impact that makes over 1000 foot pounds of reverse torque and 950 foot pounds of tightening torque, but it has not showed up yet. Don't much care about right hand torque as I do about left hand torque. I don't tighten anything with an impact wrench as a rule.

Then there is 'wet' torque and 'dry torque' values but for all intents and purposes I won't get into that here.

Reason why I mention Harbor Freight ( and I believe they ship internationally from their website) is, Their impact sockets are indestructible. I've split Snap On, SK Wayne, Craftsman and MAC sockets. Never split any HF sockets and I beat on them all the time. I change a lot of wear steels on excavator buckets and snow plows and those bolts that secure them (usually either Grade 8 or A325 dome head plow bolts are generally corroded and require a heavy duty air impact to either break them or twist the nuts off entirely, so I need a very stout impact. The IR's make serious reverse torque but the Thor beats them all.

My 'side job' is I repair HD excavator buckets and hard rod them so I need big tools and big torque impact's and big air supply too. I have a Sullaire screw compressor as well as a Quincy reciprocating air compressor for backup power if the screw compressor cannot keep up.

#11 ·
Do we have a Harbor Freight store here? No... this is a remote island in the Atlantic ocean thousands of km from continental shores. Regarding pricing, salaries here are about 5 to 10 times smaller than in the U.S. and proces are very expensive. A good torque wrench costs a monthly salary here, but they sell cheap ones for way too much money. I will have to do it by hand, because torque wrenches are unaffordable, but if it costs up to $75 I may buy one if I really have to. I am afraid I can't buy from you, because import duty they charge here is huge and that will kill the deal. They even charge import duty on things which are unavailable in the EU, which I believe is unfair.

The entire torque wrench thing is new to me so your post is very helpful to me to learn. I am yet to learn what an impact wrench is. Basically I used to drive lawnmowers without servicing, but have not killed any yet, just bent some parts. For example the port washout broke off upon some kind of impact. I think it is installed in the wrong location, because any impact can break it.

There are so many scientists claiming global warming, they should all work for lawnmower industry as working on lawnmowers is becoming a science and require a scientific degree. 😄

My Husqvarna GT52XLS bolt size is "3/5" (probably of an inch) and I suppose they are all the same for everyone who owns GT52XLS at least. I have imported my GT52XLS into the Azores remote islands, because I had to move quick and did not have time to sell it. Similar tractor cost much more here.

So you repair HD excavator buckets. That is a tough job, I guess you use a welder. But I have no idea what HD is.

Thank you for advice.

#14 ·
So you repair HD excavator buckets. That is a tough job, I guess you use a welder. But I have no idea what HD is.
More than one actually. I was AWS certified in SMAW and TIG but I let my certs lapse a long time ago. What I do, I don't need to be certified (and pay the fees) anyway. Not doing nuclear, just HD (heavy duty) loader buckets and excavator buckets. In fact I have a fairly large CAT excavator sitting in the side lot right now that needs bucket work and some wear plates welded on.

I have every process available here from oxygen- acetylene to TIG to Stick to MIG and pulsed MIG and spray transfer and a CNC plasma table to cut parts on and machine tools to machine parts.

The whole bucket thing started when I did an articulated loader bucket for a farmer down the road and by word of mouth I get business.

#18 ·
Pico........Are you familiar with the term " pneumatic tools" or "air tools"? If not, or maybe even if you are.....Here is a nice little big of informative reading you might enjoy and it will answer some questions you have posted on here...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.