1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

GT 18 snow plow

Discussion in 'Craftsman / Sears' started by dgreen1069, Nov 8, 2004.

1. dgreen1069

dgreen1069 New Member

Dec 12, 2003
    I am still trying to find a snow plow for my 1988 GT18 garden tractor. According to Sears, one is not available for my tractor...model 917.255917. My manual lists a 48" Blade (stock #71-24402). The stock # is not in Sear's current system. I'd also be interested in a snow blower if I could find one. Once again, Sears says that the new ones won't work. My manual lists a 40" blower (stock #71-24071). Does anyone know who makes a plow or blower that will fit my tractor? I'd also be interested in buying used if anyone knows where one is for sale. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. guest2

guest2 Tractorforum.com Senior Member

Dec 26, 2003
    dgreen1069
    Welcome to TF!!

Your best bet would probably be eBay. If you're handy with a welder you could adapt a plow easy enough. The blower might be a little more diffcult since you would need to power it.

On the other hand a new GT blower from sears for the current models is around $1300. Would you really want to spend that much for an attachment for a 1988 tractor?

3. dgreen1069

dgreen1069 New Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Thanks for the quick reply. I've looked on ebay, but I'm afraid to buy something that won't work. I'm a pretty handy guy, but I have zero welding experience. I was hoping someone might know of an AYP plow that would work....or something along those lines. I Know the tractor is a bit older, but I am dissappointed in how little Sears has been able to help.

4. guest2

Dec 26, 2003
    dgreen1069

I did a little diggin'. Here's what I found. The 48" plow for your tractor is model # 486.244020. The "712" is a sears sales code. 486 denotes the manufacturer agri-fab. The current 48" plow is 486.244120. The basic plow and frame are the same. The difference is in the mounting brackets. It might be possible to grab the new plow on sale for around $200? Then just buy the brackets as parts for the 486.244020 at http://www.3.sears.com/

I'm going to post the parts list and diagram here for the one you need 486.244020 and the newer 486.244120 so you can compare.

5. guest2

Dec 26, 2003
    here's the diagram for the 486.244020 the old style for your GT18

Attached Files:

• 486.jpg
      486.jpg
      File size:
      125.8 KB
      Views:
  6. guest2

Dec 26, 2003
    here's the current one

Attached Files:

7. bontai Joe

bontai Joe Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Holy smokes sixchows! You're GOOD!

8. guest2

Dec 26, 2003
    Looks like maybe $150-$200 in parts + the cost of the new plow. If you need the channel assy. They look the same but have different #'s, not sure why.

But, by the time you find a used one, ship it, and then order what ever is missing, you'll be paying the same as buying the new one and ordering whatever few parts are different.

Go to www.searspartsdirect.com enter the model #'s and compare parts lists. If a part looks the same,put the old part # in your shopping cart and see if you get a "red" upgrade # that matches the new plow part. If you get a red # for the old that doesn't match the new plow part #, try putting the new plow part # in your cart and see if that is also replaced by the red # you got for the old plow part #. HTH

9. guest2

Dec 26, 2003
    Oh and the advantage to piecing together the old and new is that in the unlucky event that the 1988 GT18 gives out, the plow will fit all the newer GT series. Just save whatever new plow plow parts you don't need for the GT18.

10. dgreen1069

dgreen1069 New Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Thank you very much.....I'm not sure how you found all that so fast, but I appreciate it greatly. Thanks again,
    Dave

11. guest2

Dec 26, 2003
    No problem Dave! Glad to help!
    Bob

12. aegt5000

aegt5000 New Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Nobody even comes close.

sixchows....You-Da-Man..:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

13. snowmower

snowmower New Member

May 19, 2004
    Hey Sixchows, I am trying to solve the solution for PI. Would you mind looking in to that for me?:D Wow, that's service.

Welcome aboard Dgreen1069.

SnowMower

14. guest2

Dec 26, 2003
    Snowmower

I know how to eat pie....does that count?:lmao:

15. bontai Joe

bontai Joe Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    :homereat: Did someone say pie? :homereat: I like apple pie :homereat: with vanilla ice cream on top :homereat: Blueberry is good too! :homereat: And cherry :homereat: and pumpkin, mince meat, pecan, peach.......

16. HERBSGT

HERBSGT New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    snowplow

I have a complete snowplow setup that I want to sell.46" snow blade, equipped with weight platform on rear. It utilizes the mower lift to rarise and lower plow. Also have a dedicated set of 23 x 8.50 x 12 wheels with chains and a set of two craftsman 55 lb. wheel weights. Everything is like new. (New cost- over $600.) Sell for $275. Herb- contact for more info. hfearn@netscape.net can email pics.

Attached Files:

17. dgreen1069

dgreen1069 New Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Well guys, I thought I was in luck. I met a guy on a cruise a couple of months ago who said he had an extra snow plow laying around. He called me up last week and said he wanted to give it to me. It's model # was 486.244070.....which appears to be the correct 42" plow for my tractor. I picked up the plow and found that it was not complete....it's missing all of the brackets and hardware that mount to the tractor. It was a generous gift, but it will cost me a bit to purchase all the parts I need.....and to make matters worse, the parts diagram is virtually impossible to read.

18. guest2

Dec 26, 2003
    Dave
    Try getting a manager at sears parts direct on the phone and explain the parts you need. If these parts are lying around on a shelf somewhere, you might be able to work a deal. After all, how many calls for these are they getting? If that doesn't work, call agrifab and try a manager over there. I'm sure they'd rather get a few $$ for some obsolete parts that nobody wants than to have them take up space even longer. Good Luck!!

19. HERBSGT

HERBSGT New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Snow plow

Dave, The snowblade that I have on my GT5000 is not a Sears model. It was made by Haban Mfg Co and has a channel frame which mounts to the rear equipment mounting.(Pin goes thru the hole) I adapted the mower lift to the frame attachment and it works great. The blade can be controlled left,right, etc by separate handle from the seat. Herb

20. muchgrass

muchgrass New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    I have the opposite problem. I have a new (2004) GT5000, and just came across an old snow/dozer blade free to good home, but don't know if it would fit. Quite a drive to p/u, so really want to know first.

Blade part# is 917.251380 and I found the parts diagram from Sears parts, but can find the diagram there for the current model blade to match up.
    Would appreciate if anyone can help? How good are you SixC's?