Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, just checking, i got my snowthrower for my prestige last week. The one issue I see is there is not much clearance between the ground and the bottom of the thrower. When the thrower is in the upright position, there is only about 4" of clearance between the thrower and the ground. Does that sound about right? Ive noticed (just riding around with no snow) that if there is a steep incline or decline, that the thrower bottom scrapes into the ground...

I can mark problem spots to avoid so i dont dig up my lawn, but do others have a similar short clearance between the ground and the bottom of the thrower?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Mine is the same way. I thankfully don't run into these areas much. I do have a sidehill that is a bit of an issue though.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by simple_john
I can mark problem spots to avoid so i dont dig up my lawn, but do others have a similar short clearance between the ground and the bottom of the thrower?
Are you planning on clearing snow from your lawn?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i clear paths on the lawn to the bird feeders and for a run for the dog... last year i pushed an old toro snowblower but im guessing i did 500-700 ft of paths... 2 passes wide... it was a pain with the snow blower, im hoping my tractor will have the traction and will be able to do the paths i manually pushed last year.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Just keep the skid plates adjusted to about an inch and pack down the first few snows with your tractor. That way you will minimize the destruction of your lawn. Any damage you do to your lawn will recover quickly in the spring.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Good Idea. My dogs "pee run" gets pretty beat up by the chains and my plow. I will probably switch to the blower for that area of my lawn.

It will be pretty funny the first light snowfall you get and you see dog turds flying through the air!!!

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by leolav
Good Idea. My dogs "pee run" gets pretty beat up by the chains and my plow. I will probably switch to the blower for that area of my lawn.

It will be pretty funny the first light snowfall you get and you see dog turds flying through the air!!!
Then you can apply for a farm implement credit on your "Snow Harvester/ Manure Spreader at tax time.
:lmao:

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
presently i have the skid plates as high as they can go.. just becasue when i lowered them, they were digging into the lawn and catchnig when going into the shed.... Ill lower them when i get some snow... or if they can get me into the shed without killing my ramp.. after i spread more fill...

thanks guys

sj

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by leolav
Thats funny!! Unfortunately, it is one of those fertilizers that burns for than fertilizes.
The poop isn't what's burning the grass. It's the urine and its high nitrogen content.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Dog

Get a more manly dog and let him fend for himself.Has it come to this,Snowblowing pee trails for dogs?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yup slip it "has come to this" either i shovel a path or my dogh will pee on the stairs...

by the end of the winter, we sometimes have 2-3 Ft of snow on the ground....

plus i need to be able to access the bird feeders... 2 years ago i said the hell with shoveling a path, id walk through waist high snow to get to the feeders... i guess snowshoes would work... but then i would not have had the excuse to get the new snowthrower.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The dog urine is a seperate issue. She does that on woodchips, not the lawn (used to be a problem, not since she goes on the woodchips). The dog crap for some reason just leaves little yellow circles around it.

As for the has it come to this, yes. My dog had a broken leg when she was a pup. Ever since, cold agrevates it to the point where she lifts it off the ground. By plowing a poop area, she only gets her paws wet. When she had to go through the 6" of snow, she would have trouble going #2 and would hold it and eventually let it go on our back porch!!

Needless to say, outside in the yard is better than inside. I will continue to blow her a poop path no matter how wimpy she is!!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I have also noticed this problem with my front blade. If I want to go plow a friend or relatives drive way I would not be able to just lay out the ramps and drive up them because the plow pushes the ramps out of the way. Do anyone have any suggestion for this problem besides buying a ulitiy trailer which I am condsidereing doing? Also what is a tandom trailer? Also how deep show I expect to clear with a JD LX277 with a snow plow before I need to break out the walkbehind snow thrower?

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Adam88... longer Ramps and set them on a raised surface so it wont scrape?

My ramp on my trailer is way too steep for the tractor/thrower to climb. The dealer has a set of long ramps, id need to something similar to get it onto my trailer.. come to think of it, even if it could get on the trailer, its only 9 feet so it would not fit.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by Adamr88
I have also noticed this problem with my front blade. If I want to go plow a friend or relatives drive way I would not be able to just lay out the ramps and drive up them because the plow pushes the ramps out of the way. Do anyone have any suggestion for this problem besides buying a ulitiy trailer which I am condsidereing doing? Also what is a tandom trailer? Also how deep show I expect to clear with a JD LX277 with a snow plow before I need to break out the walkbehind snow thrower?

Thanks,

Adam
Are you driving up them foward?? You should ALWAYS back on to a trailer. The danger of flipping over is a lot greater when driving on foward.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Is that still the same if you are going into the back of a pickup? I tried to backup in once and it seems like I lost most of my traction.

Adam

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by Adamr88
Is that still the same if you are going into the back of a pickup? I tried to backup in once and it seems like I lost most of my traction.

Adam
Yupper. Pickup also. And yes, loss of traction is a problem, but it is better than having a tractor on top of you. It is not as common as in the bigger tractor world. But people do get killed by lawn mowers, and tractors falling on them. Maybe a lightweight mower will only weigh a few hundred lbs, but do you want "only" a 400lbs weight falling on your chest.

Sorry I don't mean to preach, but I would hate to see someone on the list get hurt.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Adam

You can wear your machine when it comes over on top of you driving it forward up on a trailer and if the angle is greater getting up on your truck is even worse.If you are using wooden ramps attach some expanded metal to them for more traction.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
On that same subject. If you have any big hills on your land, you should not mow up them. You should always mow down, and back up. REAL easy for a tractor to wheely going foward, Never seen one wheely backwards.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts