Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think is the best grinder? I need a new 4 inch grinder. Mine has bit the dust! Any suggestions....

Thanks, Tau44

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Tau44,

Any particular reason for such a small grinder? Have you thought of getting a 6 or 8 inch? What are your main uses?

Greg

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just to clean up frames on tractors and pieces on implements.

thanks,
tau44

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Also the 4" is alot lighter and easy to hold. My two cents.
Jody

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I am partial to Metabo, but Milwaukee makes good ones as does Porter Cable. Its a mixed bag with lots of folks on a DeWalt. All the welding supply houses in this area used to carry DeWalt in additon to the above three, but the DeWalts did not seem to hold up as good as the others, and they were a lot noisier as well. The variable speed Milwaukee Super is one nice grinder.

Lots of folks would rather buy a Harbor Freight and use it until it dies and then toss it and buy another. Tools in my opinion are not supposed to be expendable. Buy a good one and it will last for a long time. Metabo is probably #1 among the welding crowd, both hobby and commercial. They run a lot cooler than the others do.

My picks would be:
#1 Metabo
#2 Milowaukee Super Magnum
#3 Porter Cable
#4 Bosch
#5 Sandpaper

Horrible freight and Crapsman. Black & Decker, Skill, Royobi, Makaita and Dewalt do not figure into my likes. As with any electrical item, amps is the name of the game and the more amps usually the better it is. The Horrible Fright grinders get extremely hot after a bit of use, and are noisey and vibrate a lot. Metabos are lot more quieter, run cooler than any others, and if the stone or disk is not out ouf wack, virtually vibration free.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I got one of those tool show special $9.95 grinders a year or so ago. Works, but as Chipmaker say, they mane a ton of noise, and shake like crazy, but hey, works sofar. I was not sure I would use it much so I got a cheapy. When it goes I will get a better one. I tend to use it a lot.

·
Registered
361 Posts
:beer:

I bought one of those el-cheapo $13 chinese grinders that come with an etra set of brushes and before I even used it I traded it for an old 30 year old Black & Decker. To me that was a great deal. I wouldn`t buy a new B&D. I always look for old slightly used power tools at G-sales.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts