·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
He going to be hungry when he wakes up:D
Jody

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I remember my first time deer hunting when I was a kid. My uncle took me and his two boys hunting deer for the first time, and he selected a spot for each of us to stand at along a wooden power line that ran through a section of the woods here with lots of deer. We were placed about every 3rd pole from each other, and all of us had shotguns except for my uncle, who carried his ever faithfull 32 Win Special.

It was colder than heck, and there was about 2 feet of snow, and there we stood in the dark early hours. The sun finally peeked through and made me a bit sleepy so I cozied up along the power pole and set down and dozed off, sucking in the warmth of that sun. A whistle like noise interupted my snooze and still half asleep looked up and saw a beautiful big buck standing there looking at me. By the time I got the shot gun up that buck was off and running deep into the woods. My two cousins and my uncle seen this deer, and was wondering why it was taking me so long to shoot it. They could not shoot as it was too close to me. It was the only deer we saw that season that was a buck.

Night before last my peafowl and guineas started acting up, so evidently someting was outside that they did not like. I got the shotgun, loaded it with shells and the wife and I each grabbed a good flashlight , turned on the outside flood lights and went to take a look. I normally use 7 1/2 shot in the 12 ga for oppossums and such around the place. We spotted a oppossum at the nest our geese have, and could not shoot or I would have taken out the nest and its 17 eggs. so off Mr. Oppossum goes, at a normal trot. I give it a bit of time to get into a safe area before I pulled the trigger on him. I shoot, missed him, pumped another round into the chamber, fired, missed again, tell myself calm down its only a oppossum, pull again miss. I fired 6 rounds at that oppossum from a 12 ga at distances of no more than 40 or so feet and still never got him. Needless to say other thasn waking up any neighbors the game is pretty safe from me in this area:mad:

Right now I am inundated with squirrels. Last year I managed to take out over 40 of them things just from by back and front porches. They are over populated, and are into everything. So day before yesterday I had a good shot at a squirrel at one of the bird feeders, and took it, and actually hit it with the 22. Great one less squirrel. Yesterday moring I go to the bar to get the JD, and found a baby squirrel on the ground almost as cold as an ice cube. I was going to stomp it, but I decided to pick it up and help it along. Its about 5 weeks old, eyes still closed but fully furred out. I place it in a containerput it on the lathe in the shop and turned on the lathes work light, which gets nice and hot. Figure it would warm him up a bit. Go backoutside and do some odds and ends, go back and check on that little critter only to find him gone. He crawled out of the box it was in, dropped into the area between the lathes ways, into the oil filled chip pan which was also full of shavings etc, crawled out of it and fell about 30 more inches to the shop floor. You could see a grease streak from him crawling on thw white floor and out the garage door, where I fianlly found him alongside my truck tire. An awfull lot of falling and crawling for a critter with his eyes still closed. He was covered in oil and metal shavings, so I took the air hose and blew the worst of it off, and then used paper towels to get out as much cutting oils etc from hits fur as possible, placed it back in a higher container, and back under the light for warmth, as he was ice cold again. The wife finally got home so I gave it to her to take care of. Now we have another critter to feed and she sets there feeding it with a tiny baby bottle, she made a nice container with a heating pad under it and feeds it every 4 hours. One content little squirrel now. Somday if it survives, and I am sure it will with her taking care of it, it will be released, but knowing the wife she will want to let him go outside in the yard, like the last two she raised up that hung around for a long time and were extremely friendly. Then it will put a crimp in my eliminating the squirrels as I wold be taking a chance on shooting her little baby, so until that time its released I guyess I need to get busy and start reducing the squirrel population pretty much. She named the little male squirrel Chippy........

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
You can alway paint a big C on him so you wont make the mistake of shooting it.:lmao:
Jody

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
funny pic.. do you think its real? i always thought they would be more timid than to walk up to a human.. good photo though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts