Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on repairing my 50" promaster mower deck spindles. I managed to run over a rock and left 2 of the 3 mower blades behind. Replacement spindles are crazy expensive. Can the spindle shaft be replaced? How difficult would the rebuild process be?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Hello GoinMobile, welcome to the tractor forum.

What is wrong with your old spindles? If it's just the bolts broken off, you can drill progressively bigger holes in the stubs and probably extract them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BigT for responding. I know one of them has the nut sheared off. I found the nut, washer and what's left of the shaft. I believe the shaft is what was sheared off. Am I incorrect on that? Wouldn't I need to replace the whole shaft? Not totally sure about the second one yet but I'm presuming a similar issue since the blade was lying on the ground separated from the deck.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
OK, if it's just the bolts sheared off in the spindle shaft, and you are not comfortable with extracting the remains of the bolt, pull the spindles (not a big job) and take them to a lawnmower shop to do the job for you. You can also drill them out and re-thread the spindle shaft to the next larger size bolt if you wish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, if it's just the bolts sheared off in the spindle shaft, and you are not comfortable with extracting the remains of the bolt, pull the spindles (not a big job) and take them to a lawnmower shop to do the job for you. You can also drill them out and re-thread the spindle shaft to the next larger size bolt if you wish.
I posted the confirmation of my spindle. As you can see the only bolts on the spindle are the ones that attach it to the deck. The shaft itself is threaded on both ends to secure the blade and sheave.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Now I see your problem.... Gravely! Can you get a replacement spindle shaft? I've seen the cost of an entire spindle unit ......very expensive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I see your problem.... Gravely! Can you get a replacement spindle shaft? I've seen the cost of an entire spindle unit ......very expensive.
Yes they're about $55/ea. I just want to be sure these can be disassembled and reassembled without damaging anything and what disposable parts I might need in addition to the shafts.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Replace the seals on both ends. Rotate the spindles, and note any roughness or noise in the bearings (should be smooth as silk rotation). If noisy or rough, replace bearings.

You should have a service manual to go by. Ebay has a used service manual for a Promaster 40 / 50 for $15. See eBay item number 114792008117

Below is a thread discussing rebuild of a Gravely spindle similar to yours.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Replace the seals on both ends. Rotate the spindles, and note any roughness or noise in the bearings (should be smooth as silk rotation). If noisy or rough, replace bearings.

You should have a service manual to go by. Ebay has a used service manual for a Promaster 40 / 50 for $15. See eBay item number 114792008117

Below is a thread discussing rebuild of a Gravely spindle similar to yours.

Thank you! I hope I only have to take 1/2 of it apart to get the old spindle out?

·
Registered
448 Posts
All I can add is make sure the damn thing is secured and blocked off incase it falls. We had a guy have his block/tackle fail and his zero turn ended it for him. Simple precautions and work safe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts