Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a mistake and bought a GPS on Ebay that I thought would fit my Axim X3I. Unfortunately it fits Compact Flash and PCMCIA slots while my Axim has Secure Digital. OOPS!

If anybody is interested, I will sell it to you for US$60 plus whatever shipping costs by mail. I'm guessing about $10 for shipping. I'll send it as a gift, so there's no duty.

If nobody buys I'll put it back on E-bay.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Originally posted by balmoralboy
I made a mistake and bought a GPS on Ebay that I thought would fit my Axim X3I. Unfortunately it fits Compact Flash and PCMCIA slots while my Axim has Secure Digital. OOPS!

If anybody is interested, I will sell it to you for US$60 plus whatever shipping costs by mail. I'm guessing about $10 for shipping. I'll send it as a gift, so there's no duty.

If nobody buys I'll put it back on E-bay.
\

Got A picture or details Jim?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: GPS for $60 plus shipping

Originally posted by Archdean
\

Got A picture or details Jim?
It's a GlobalSat BC-307Review Here

I haven't tested it, but I'll try to catch up with one of the boys and borrow their laptop on the weekend for a test.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Re: GPS for $60 plus shipping

Originally posted by balmoralboy
It's a GlobalSat BC-307Review Here

I haven't tested it, but I'll try to catch up with one of the boys and borrow their laptop on the weekend for a test.
Installed it on Tris's laptop this morning. It worked well. Saw six satellites from a window in Concrete canyon land.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Can Jim or anyone else please explain what exactly you can do with a GPS? I understand how you can get coordinates on the handheld unit. But what does hooking it up to a computer enable you to do?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by MowHoward2210
Can Jim or anyone else please explain what exactly you can do with a GPS? I understand how you can get coordinates on the handheld unit. But what does hooking it up to a computer enable you to do?
I'll give it my best shot, Mow.

1. There is a pile of software around that will do fancy things, like surveying, tracking your yield from your farm by location, etc I understand some of the fancy farms do soil samples by location - i.e. every 100ft or so in each direction, and then vary the fertilizer according to the analysis from the lab.

2. There are a lot of people who do hiking type things by GPS, working with directions to cover a course and travelling "by compass". Generally these are races, but you're seeing more that are "how to get to the waterfall" type things.

3. There's a whole bunch of people who set up what they call "caches" in strange places and post the co-ordinates online. The game is to go to all the caches when you're somewhere and take something and leave something, and get more cache finds than anybody else you know. Generally the cache is hidden, but accessible to anyone.

4. What I plan to do with it is load Microsoft "Streets" which allows me to plan a trip and the software then tells me if I miss an exit how to get back on the right road. It can identify what street I'm on from the GPS location and where I want to be from the plan. I want to have the Axim compatible one, not a laptop one because the Axim is just easier to carry around.

I've heard people on airplanes put in a waypoint for the next destination and can tell if the plane goes off course because the time to destination, ground speed, and direction heading change. Not sure if I want to rush the cockpit if that goes way out of whack!!

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Mow,

In addition, you can get "memory cards" with various marine waterways on them. Some general, others VERY detailed. I use a Garmin 210 dash mount and a Garmin 75 portable for use around the boat and backup.

The cards will display land, docks, buoys, bottom terrain, navigation aids, frequencies, patterns, traffic lanes, etc. With lots of way-points programmed into it, it's just about as good as radar except it doesn't make you seen by others. I've been fishing in pea soup fog in Puget Sound and only worried about other small fishing boats going too fast without even GPS.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies, Jim and Greg. I can see how they can be very useful.

The back part of my property is only marked by a few stakes and is hilly and wooded. I plan on putting a fence in someday. You cant get a sight line from one stake to another. Rather than stringing 600 feet of string btw the stakes, could I use a GPS to mark the property line exactly? I'd also like to mark the hickory, walnut and pecan trees, too, on my property. :nerd:

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Mow,

Here's a link with good info. For your fence, you need more than what Jim and I have:D :D

http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/notes/gps/gps_f.html

When I had mine put in 2 years ago I had a professional survey done. It's not worth a mistake that is found out later...sometimes too late.

Some systems and accuracy:

Low-cost, single-receiver SPS projects (100 meter accuracy)
Medium-cost, differential SPS code Positioning (1-10 meter accuracy)
High-cost, single-receiver PPS projects (20 meter accuracy)
High-cost, differential carrier phase surveys (1 mm to 1 cm accuracy)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Originally posted by Greg
Mow,

Here's a link with good info. For your fence, you need more than what Jim and I have:D :D

http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/notes/gps/gps_f.html

When I had mine put in 2 years ago I had a professional survey done. It's not worth a mistake that is found out later...sometimes too late.

Some systems and accuracy:

Low-cost, single-receiver SPS projects (100 meter accuracy)
Medium-cost, differential SPS code Positioning (1-10 meter accuracy)
High-cost, single-receiver PPS projects (20 meter accuracy)
High-cost, differential carrier phase surveys (1 mm to 1 cm accuracy)
I think I'll just buy some string! It was surveyed last year, but the the stakes are hard to see through the trees. I'll check again when the leaves are gone, and when I put a fence up I'll "error" to my side when in doubt.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mow, if you work from the stakes planted by your surveyor, you should be able to use a GPS to mark the rest of the line safely. At that point you are making a relative, not an absolute measurement. Most of the error sources mentioned in Greg's page reference are absolute measurement error sources.

Also, if you want to mark the position of the trees on a plan for gaarden planning purposes, the GPS would be plenty accurate.

The point is that you could get a theodolite and do your own survey, but you couldn't go to court with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts