Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has been keeping them at his place for a few weeks until I'm to a point where I can feed and water these critters. He and another buddy brought them out yesterday, 9 of the 15 anyway. What a trip:D thes babies are...one jumped over the gate of the pickup and made a run for freedom, both my dogs and my one buddy in hot pursuit...he finally caught it after a 1/4 mile jaunt and one of the dogs tripped it up. It was a sight to see him running across the field holding his sweatpants up and going full out after this little piglet.

Any way we got them in their new home and they are settling in...we sold 2 of them to another buddy who wants to try his hand at raising them. We kept 4 back at my buddies because they are runts. We're going to get a little size on them and reintroduce 2 back into the herd. We're going to hold out a gilt and a boar for mating purposes and next years run.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Originally posted by Argee
SJ
Jodyand
Andy
Toba
Ingersoll

I got ya'll covered:lmao: :lmao:
ALRIGHT :thumbsup: I got a pig named after me:partydanc

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Come on sj he don't wont to ruin them:D

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
What kind are they?

I like fooling with pigs myself. usually rasie up a couple every year (Durocs). Years back we picked up a couple of 50# from a place and there was a runt that the hog farmer threw in for free. It was covered in lice and ticks and was just about hairless, and could easily fit through the typical openings on a hog or cattle panel. It was a tiny critter. The wife wanted to keep it though, but I wanted to knock it in the head and get rid of it. Anyway once home she gave it a bath and got rid of ther lice and ticks, and babied that thing. She gave it to the youngest son at that time, andi t used to follow him around like a dog. Everytime you went out the back door you had to step over that thing as it used to like to lay at the back steps. Well that little football sized porker eventually got to be too big to step over. I had tried to talk my son into giving up that hog and have it slaughtered, as keeping such a anaimal for a pet was not feasible.. Nothing doing, no amount of talk would get him to let me have her butchered. One time when taking a steer to get butchered, my son was with me in the truck, and he kept telling me he was hungry.......He did not eat breakfast that morning, and wanted to stop at McDonals etc.....so eventually when we came up on a HArdees, I said Iwold trade him the hog for a steak biscuit and juice....and he agreed :D Now that old hog wa mine, and when I went to pickup the steer after it was processed carried that porker along. It topped out at 485 pounds. From a little runt to a huge hog and no telling how much feed and other goodies that critter ate. We usually raise em up starting in late summer and carry them until early summer or spring,as its just to hot to fool with them here in this area. They like their mud holes and cool water to get into and so do the mosquitos. Some great BBQ tablefare!

I think a hog is about the smartest barnyard animal,and second is goats, then chickens and then cows. Horses and sheep don't even rate.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Argee how are the pigs doings are they getting fat :question: Im ready:eat::D

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They go to the butcher on November 3rd...They range in weight from 225 to 300 by that day....Raised Durocs for the first time...very hearty breed....full of spunk and sass..

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Well your not feeding jodyand enough:lmao:

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the pigs went to market a couple of weeks ago. They weighed in from a high of 288 to a low of 182. My favorite this year was a Duroc gilt, she'd squeal with delight when I'd go down to the pen...loved to have her ears scratched...she came in at 276...She'll be coming back home next week to her new digs....my freezer:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Wheres my ham:D Or better yet whens the BBQ:eat:

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I honestly couldnt do it....raise something then eat it? not for me.....I would bond with it too much.....you see I like animals way more than humans.....otherway around ( skip the eating part) no problem at all :) :furious:

Not judgeing you on it, just gave you my perspective

Ducati

·
Registered
664 Posts
We had 'pet' pigs when I was a kid.. They had names like Hambone, Sir Bacon (I thru IV), Porkchop (1,2,3) and Hamlet (for the runt we got one year).. The calves my brother raised for 4H & FFA were named in the same fashion.. We all knew they were going to be in the freezer, so it wasn't too traumatic..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts