Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a nice middlebuster, box scraper, landscape rake and boom pole for my 8N tractor this weekend. Got a fabulous deal by buying them all together and even including free shipping to my home. Used the middlebuster in draft this weekend to open up some trench/culvert areas to help drain the flooded pastures. It is just so darn rainy this week. Going to have to get some practice with the box scraper ---

Any insight or tips with this? Thanks :D

Andy

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Congratulations Andy hope you have fun with it all just remember practiced makes perfect:tractorsm
Jody

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
NICE!! All stuff I could use myself. OK, well I would trade the MB for a plow, but other than that....

I am waiting to hear how they work for you. Any tips, or tricks you learn on the way I would love to hear.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I use a Land Pride LR1584 Landscaping rake for maintaining my driveway. I have about a half mile of it. The driveway is topped off with about 10 inches of crush & run gravel mix and the rake does a real nice job of leveling it out and pulling the material where I want it. The rake can also also be configured with dual gauge wheels and a rear blade moldboard.

LR1584 Landscaping Rake

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it has been raining non-stop for the whole week --- so unless I want my N to sink like a stone in the mud --- (yeah that would be fun) --- I will have to wait and wait for it to dry up --------

It is kinda like the raingod knew I bought new toys for the tractor and wanted to punish me a little bit.

:starwars:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Would like to know how much weight that boom pole will lift with a N when you get a chance to use it. Seems like something that will come in real handy for my uses. just kinda wondering how much it will lift.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the standard lift on a 8N hydraulics is 750lbs to be safe...but a system in good condition can easily go 800-1000 if needed. Watch the front end ------ on a boom pole, the standard is somewhere in the 500# neighborhood. Keep an eye on the front end!!! It will lift up with too much extended on the boom!
HAHAHA

:headclap:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I played the lite front game lifting a log a few weeks ago. YAZOA!!!! I guess it IS a good thing that my lift works good enough to do that though. Kinda shows me it is working to it's full potental.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I would be careful get the front end off the ground like that. Don't want to break anything in the front end. Can you and some kind of front weights to keep the front end down?

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
paul

Originally posted by Ingersoll444
I played the lite front game lifting a log a few weeks ago. YAZOA!!!! I guess it IS a good thing that my lift works good enough to do that though. Kinda shows me it is working to it's full potental.
If you are using a cross mounted drawbar on the three point hitch to pull logs, someday it will get you. A ford 8N becomes a rear rollover monster hooked just that way. I for one do not want to read about you wearing a tractor for a hat. Any towed load should be hooked below the center line of the rear differential to be safe. Snag a log and the three point floats up,over you go. The whole thing happens in .75 seconds. Do you want to take the chance that you are fast enough to get the clutch pushed in, in time?

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Slip is absolutely right! I didn't think you were skidding logs like that. Use ONLY the draw bar mounted to the bottom of the trans casing for that. I have read articles where what Slip mentioned happened. It happened so fast that the operator and the observers of the accident were just totally dumbfounded. The operator was crushed and killed.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, update. It has been way too wet ('Jody can attest to the constant rain) to get anything done. The buttercup type weeds are nearly engulfing one of my pastures so I need to do something about that. Was thinking a nice low cut, then using the ole box scraper, then raking through and putting down some nice grass seed. What about the weeds coming back? Do I need to weed/feed everything? Thanks!

Andy

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
The weed and feed is probably the easiest and least labor intensive route. Now is the time to do it while it is still early in the season and the new sprouts have not started coming up.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
buttercup

Originally posted by Chief
The weed and feed is probably the easiest and least labor intensive route. Now is the time to do it while it is still early in the season and the new sprouts have not started coming up.
Oxilis pes caprae
A hardy perennial weed that is next to imposible to control with herbicides. The most effective method is to remove mature plants during the growing season. Destroy all the removed plants. This weed grows from bulbs and herbicides only kill the top of the plant. After a season of removal a preemergent weed killer can be used ,fall is probably the best time, two applications six-eight weeks apart. The other method that has shown to be effective is solarization. Not practical in landscaped areas or turflawns.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts