Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, got a nice 5' alligator setting on the edge of my pond bank. Have to admit though its actually a concrete one, but its painted very realistic, and so far has been a great attention grabber. Our pond and front yard is very visable from the roadway in front, and folks driving down the road can easil spot this "gator" that looks like it just crawled out of the pond and is sunning itself on the ponds bank, near some cat tails. Its neat setting outside and hear all these cars slowing down and some even turn around and come back real real slow for another look. Even had some folks stop and get out of their car and take pictures......The wife is waiting to see how long it remains there before some redneck takes a pot shot at it with a rifle!

We had seen some unpainted concrete gators at a lawn ornament place but when we went to buy one later on they were all sold out. Then I found a place in north Georgia that makes them and also sells em already painted so I made the trip and picked up a painted one. Lots cheaper to buy em already painted, and for the big savings in cost as compared to what the local places wanted for an unpainted oone, even considering the price of fuel up and back (500 + miles round trip) I still saved money on the deal.

Next I have to get a concrete statue of a duck or dog and have it laying by the gator, that ought to really get some heads turning.....

I have on occasion had a real life gator in my pond though, but they are pretty easy to catch and get rid of. Sometimes when the river rises up gators move up the smaller brances out of the slews and wind up in small creeks and inland swamps etc. I have a swamp in the back that has a few real life gators in it, but so far I have only had to catch and release two in over 20 plus years that came up as far as were we live at. They usually stay in the swamp, unless its a long hot dry summer and the swamp gets down, then thy start looking for deeper more abundant water.....but its rare for them to do it unless its really dry.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Where in N Ga Chipmaker?

Like six said.....lets see some pics.

·
Registered
518 Posts
chipmaker u need one those floating real life lookin gator heads gemplers sell2 2 scare off birds lol like 2 see piks of yer concrete gator:jumpropeb :crazysun: :jumpropeb :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll get some pics but first have to get a new battery for the camera, it gopt to the point it will not take a charge even though the charger goes through its cycles, once you put the battery in the camera it flashes a few times and goes blank.

The place is Athens, Ga., about 6 miles outside of Athens due north on route 4XX whose number eludes me at the moment. IIRC its Athens Concrete or Athens Stone Cast. Hell its only a short time ago I was there and already can't remember the name or the route...........

My buddy suggested I get one of those alligators that are used in a fixed water level pond or one that they sell for use as a stepping stone type deal. They come in three or four parts and are perhaps 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick, and when place in the water gives the illusion of a half submerged gator with only its back, then a space of water and its head, and a portion of its tail showing. Pretty realistic. But he suggested getting one of those and hooking it up to a track that runs just under the water and let it cycle around the pond, or have it on a timer and have a pneumatic cylinder to make it sink and surface periodically close to the waters edge.

When we went to Georgia the wife seen a pond that had the water dyed a nice blue green color. Here in the south most ponds no matter how clean they are kept are a muddy brown green color, while most ponds up north are clear or a blue look from being clear and deep. Mine is deep thats for sure, but not a very nice color but no different than any other pond in the south. So now she wants to dye the water. Once again the place that has the dye (at the right price) is located in Georgia, but this time I'm gonna let UPS deliver it!

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
They have a pond around the corner from me that they dyed the water. When the wife seen it she loved it it does look cool something you don't see everyday.

·
Registered
497 Posts
That's highway 441, pretty sure I know exactly where ya talking bout. I am out there once every 3 or 4 months, I'll have to take a look.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is Wally the Gator

Originally posted by psrumors
Where in N Ga Chipmaker?

Like six said.....lets see some pics.
We call the gator Wally........but he never listens when you talk to him.:furious: This image was taken from accross the pond. The roadway is about 40 or so feet behind him. Folks see it from an elevated view looking down about 8 feet through an opening that just sort of naturally catches your eye from the roadway. Just a tad bit under 5 feet long. Just read that Alabama supposedly has the largest population of gators in the south. I find that hard to believe and would think Florida or Louisiana would have more gators. Really makes me wonder how they come up with that figure.

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Chip that thing does look real no wonder people are stopping to look:lmao: :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by admin
Louisiana Yard Dog --- as we call em here! :D

:furious: :furious: :furious:
Thats what they call em here too. Alabama Yard Dogs.......heck even the local Vactioner trap (Stuckeys) has racks of T shirts all stenciled with the Gator and Alabama Yard Dog! on them, even have some with Alabama, Gator Capitol of the World........they even have toddler sized shirts with Alabama Yard Pup on em.........its amazing what A person on vacation will buy at these roadside traps!

·
Registered
151 Posts
If I had something like that in my yard, I would have to got out every so often and move it to a different position to make people really think it was real :furious: :lmao: :furious:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts